Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux ; RonB wrote: > Yep. Fixing Windows is a very lucrative career. Lots and lots of demand. I don't do it for a living but manage to earn quite a bit of extra cash working on hosed Windows machines. -- Regards, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

  1. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Cross the river THEN insult the alligators.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  2. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Yep. Fixing Windows is a very lucrative career. Lots and lots of demand.

    > I don't do it for a living but manage to earn quite a bit of extra cash
    > working on hosed Windows machines.

    Unfortunately, it's always friends and relatives for me. So it's a lot of
    work for nothing. Well, maybe a few pats on the back and "thank you's" I'm
    trying to convice them to go to Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Learn to use the tools available to you and it will get you out of the
    > basement and into the world of productivity a lot quicker.

    Thanks for the advice, dad, but it was neither wanted or needed.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  4. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:55:45 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:47:33 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Oh, that's a lot of baloney. There isn't one person in a million who
    >>> is even capable of coping with stuff like that and his time is going
    >>> to be much to valuable to bother with. There should be paid
    >>> developers working on the project to fix such things and paid QA
    >>> testers to find problems in reproducible environments.

    >> ... and you show you have no idea about community service,
    >>

    > And you are wrong in thinking that software bug detection, reporting,
    > and correction is a community service of some kind. It is a technical
    > activity.

    .... which provides a service to the community.
    .... writing the software provides a service to the community.

    >>> You Linux snobs are a bunch of
    >>> folk fantasizing about life that way. The last frontiersmen or
    >>> something like that. Regular people just get over it quickly and on
    >>> their merry way.

    >> ... and you show you are a bigot.
    >>

    > Yes. I am biased against uneducated, self-righteous snob with no useful
    > ideas such as yourself.

    I am not a snob. I am educated. I have useful ideas. And you are a bigot.

    >>> I get a kick out of reading about how the "community" uses its "many
    >>> eyes" to find defects and fix the code base. That's no different than

    >> Maybe you should learn to understand the concept.
    >>
    >>> the kinds of escalation reports we get from customers. They are not

    >> Wow, you're actually old enough to hold a job?
    >>

    > Oh, I do it for a living, old man, and I get paid an acceptable amount,

    You fine $10/hr acceptable?

    > I feel. Enough to have a lot better collection of equipment than you
    > used to feature on your half-assed web site.

    Really? The equipment I list, except for the tower, which I didn't spec,
    is vintage equipment. But then, I doubt you even know what an Apple //gs
    or a Tandy Model 100 is. My tower isn't speced, so you can't really have
    any idea if you have something better, or not. As for my web site, no it
    isn't fancy, yes it was started a fairly long time ago, but it gets done
    what I want it to.

    >>> trained in how to classify and report problems so there is always a
    >>> huge problem with even understanding what they are talking about much
    >>> less being able to reproduce and fix the issue. That has to be the
    >>> least effective way to get things done that could ever be invented.
    >>> The home Linux fans don't have much of a choice, though, and so the
    >>> legend is born. But nothing works that way.

    >> Linux development seems to work.
    >>

    > Linux works just fine. I've never said that it did not. Linux has a
    > fairly conventional problem tracking and correction structure as well.
    > The real work seems restricted to some 100 individuals or so, most of
    > whom are being paid to do what they are doing by IBM, Red Hat, Novell,
    > and some others.

    So what?

    > The commercial Linux stuff is being maintained,

    There is very littel true "commercail stuff"

    > but the
    > rest of it is a crap shoot. That's OK for the hobbyist, but it won't
    > suit the mass desktop market.

    It suits the desktops of the workers in Largo, and Ernie Ball. It suits
    me. It suits several of my students and some of my friends.It seems to
    suit people putting together supercomputer clusters.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

  6. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    RonB wrote:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. *Will anyone
    >> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    > I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.

    amicus_curious aka billwg is Bill Weisgerber.
    Google for Bill Weisgerber and you will see that this troll has done
    his shill service for MS for years, always in the same *extremely* dishonest
    way.
    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On 2008-03-29 20:59:28 -0400, Tattoo Vampire said:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot. Well
    >> under a half hour and things are always back to what they were before the
    >> incident unless it is a hard drive failure to start with.

    > Oh, horse ****.

    100%!

  8. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Johnny Borborigmi" wrote in message
    > On 2008-03-29 20:59:28 -0400, Tattoo Vampire
    > said:
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.
    >>> Well
    >>> under a half hour and things are always back to what they were before
    >>> the
    >>> incident unless it is a hard drive failure to start with.

    >> Oh, horse ****.

    > 100%!

    Hi Mahatma Kote, aka Larry's prostate aka High Plains Rafael.

    From: Mahatma Kote
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2?dmode=source
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:59:01 -0500
    Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz post volume

    From: Larry's prostate
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:18:24 -0400
    Subject: Re: Spent some time in Linux today...

  9. Re: Never mind Linux: Vista Crash/Freeze from fresh installation

    DFS wrote:
    > "is

    Usual DFS gob****e snipped. The whines continue with no help in
    sight:

    http://www.technologyquestions.com/t...llation-_.html

    03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
    Koopa

    Vista Crash/Freeze from fresh installation -_-;;

    After a fresh installation of Vista Home Premium, my pc freezes
    randomly. If i decide to wait it out it magically unfreezes but
    this is a constant habit. It leaves the pc clock frozen at the
    time of the freeze. Suprisingly it lets me play full screen games
    but nothing else. Reinstalled multiple times, downloaded all
    updates with no change. Perhaps my motherboard isnt compatible?
    or my graphics card is just dumb? :S any help would be much
    appreciated.

    Foxconn RC4107MA-RS2 Motherboard
    Intel 3.4ghz Dual Core Processor
    Nvidia 7600GT Graphics Card (256mb)
    1gb RAM
    --
    HPT

  10. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    RonB wrote:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. *Will anyone
    >> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    > I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.

    Indeed. If someone with my experience can't fix it, then the general
    public sure as hell will not be able to fix it, 99% of the time.

  11. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:55:45 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> I feel. Enough to have a lot better collection of equipment than you
    >> used to feature on your half-assed web site.

    > Really? The equipment I list, except for the tower, which I didn't spec,
    > is vintage equipment.

    Have you noticed how many Microsoft fanbois like to brag about the size
    of their equipment?

    --
    We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way
    beyond presence -- presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this

  12. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Learn to use the tools available to you and it will get you out of the
    >> basement and into the world of productivity a lot quicker.

    > Thanks for the advice, dad, but it was neither wanted or needed.

    NEWS FLASH!

    Tattoo Vampire was fathered by the flatfish!

    --
    I'm a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound
    effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can

  13. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    Linonut wrote:

    > NEWS FLASH!
    >
    > Tattoo Vampire was fathered by the flatfish!

    Ewwwwwwwwwwww
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  14. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:59:16 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:55:45 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> I feel. Enough to have a lot better collection of equipment than you
    >>> used to feature on your half-assed web site.

    >> Really? The equipment I list, except for the tower, which I didn't
    >> spec, is vintage equipment.

    > Have you noticed how many Microsoft fanbois like to brag about the size
    > of their equipment?

    Kids do, too.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Oh, that's a lot of baloney. There isn't one person in a million who is
    > even capable of coping with stuff like that and his time is going to be much
    > to valuable to bother with. There should be paid developers working on the
    > project to fix such things and paid QA testers to find problems in
    > reproducible environments. You Linux snobs are a bunch of folk fantasizing
    > about life that way. The last frontiersmen or something like that. Regular
    > people just get over it quickly and on their merry way.

    Of course not every user is capable of fixing the bugs, but the pool of
    people who can is much larger because it is open source.

    > I get a kick out of reading about how the "community" uses its "many eyes"
    > to find defects and fix the code base. That's no different than the kinds
    > of escalation reports we get from customers. They are not trained in how to
    > classify and report problems so there is always a huge problem with even
    > understanding what they are talking about much less being able to reproduce
    > and fix the issue. That has to be the least effective way to get things
    > done that could ever be invented. The home Linux fans don't have much of a
    > choice, though, and so the legend is born. But nothing works that way.

    Bugs do indeed get fixed faster in Linux because of the OSS model under
    which it is developed. Microsoft, for all its financial clout, is still
    somewhat limited by the closed source, proprietary model under which it
    develops windows. Perhaps if it was open source, Vista would not suck
    rocks through a garden hose.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  16. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:06:44 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Learn to use the tools available to you and it will get you out of the
    >>> basement and into the world of productivity a lot quicker.

    >> Thanks for the advice, dad, but it was neither wanted or needed.

    > NEWS FLASH!
    >
    > Tattoo Vampire was fathered by the flatfish!

    Physically impossible....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  17. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, I do it for a living, old man, and I get paid an acceptable amount,

    > Yep. Fixing Windows is a very lucrative career. Lots and lots of demand.

    I really doubt that is the case. For one thing, I don't see where Windows
    is very much in need of being fixed. Perhaps you could amplify your
    remarks. For another thing Windows fixes, when and if they were to occur
    would be done by Microsoft employees, and not some freelancer or wannabe
    developer. You are apparently stuck in the OSS mindframe!

    Lastly, I don't develop for the Windows platform itself, we merely provide
    software that is supportive of and used by Windows environments. There is
    enough work in simply expanding our own application software and correcting
    what problem situations are uncovered by our own testing or reported by our
    customers. We have Linux and Unix products as well and we do pretty much
    the same thing for these platforms.

  18. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Rick" wrote in message

    > It suits the desktops of the workers in Largo, and Ernie Ball. It suits
    > me. It suits several of my students and some of my friends.It seems to
    > suit people putting together supercomputer clusters.

    Well, of course YOU would think so, but then you are not very experienced.

  19. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    wrote in message
    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

    Are you sure it was cool-aid? From your descriptions, it seems more likely
    to be bull****.

  20. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. Will anyone
    >> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    > I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.

    But you won't sign onto chrisv's idea? Well, maybe there is still hope for
    you!