Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash - Linux ; "In other words, my computer's RAM was being stuffed with some kind of extra information that caused it to eventually fill up and cause my computer to crash. Just for additional info; my Ubuntu's swap goes from 0 to 100% ...

  1. Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    "In other words, my computer's RAM was being stuffed with some kind of extra
    information that caused it to eventually fill up and cause my computer to
    crash. Just for additional info; my Ubuntu's swap goes from 0 to 100% in
    about 3 seconds when my memory usage reaches about 80%. As I am typing, this
    stage is happening right now and my computer will freeze in about 5
    minutes."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63

  2. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > Most linux code is untested.

    I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking around
    Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive reformat
    can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty hard
    to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but it seems
    that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from
    its boot record!

  3. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    news:47ee58ca$0$25197$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    > news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>
    >> Most linux code is untested.
    >>

    > I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking around
    > Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    > compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    > supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    > infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive reformat
    > can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty
    > hard to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but it
    > seems that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run
    > it from its boot record!

    I know many people who got a free linux CD or DVD from people who looked
    like they were handing out the latest version of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Suse or
    some other linux distro. They booted the media in their home PC or laptop
    and it 'looked' like it was working. They got suspicious when the router
    lights were blinking like mad but the linux they were using was showing no
    network activity. (They tried to cloak it.)

    A few weeks later several of them had huge credit card bills from Russia,
    Romania and other countries known for their illegal hacking. For them trying
    out linux turned out to be a very dangerous mistake.

  4. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    "amicus_curious" writes:

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    > news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>
    >> Most linux code is untested.
    >>

    > I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    > around Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that
    > have been compromised with binaries that do not actually match the
    > source files supplied. They look real, but they have some really
    > nasty code that can infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of
    > low level drive reformat can clean it off. Getting someone to open a
    > file in an email is pretty hard to do anymore since so many people
    > have caught onto the trick, but it seems that Linux fans are eager to
    > stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from its boot record!

    No! No! No!

    I pointed out the dangers of the ever increasing number of "how to"
    guides in internet land. YOu know, social engineering attacks to
    compromise peoples machines.

    COLA denied this could happen! Really! They point blankly refused to
    believe that it was trivial to get a nOOb to run a sudo/su shell script
    as part of "helping them" which would then compromise their
    machines. They also refused to believe that you could run a script
    without it having the x flag set (I pointed out that "sh ./script" does
    just that).

    It's what makes COLA so fun - the "advocates" here know next to nothing
    about Linux. Or are certainly blind to the problems.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

  5. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    In article <47ee4faa$0$25994$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > >> Most linux code is untested.
    > >>

    > > I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking around
    > > Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    > > compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    > > supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    > > infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive reformat
    > > can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty
    > > hard to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but it
    > > seems that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run
    > > it from its boot record!

    > I know many people who got a free linux CD or DVD from people who looked
    > like they were handing out the latest version of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Suse or
    > some other linux distro. They booted the media in their home PC or laptop
    > and it 'looked' like it was working. They got suspicious when the router
    > lights were blinking like mad but the linux they were using was showing no
    > network activity. (They tried to cloak it.)
    >
    > A few weeks later several of them had huge credit card bills from Russia,
    > Romania and other countries known for their illegal hacking. For them trying
    > out linux turned out to be a very dangerous mistake.

    WTF? That's all so far-fetched that if you changed "Linux" to "Windows"
    and sent it to Schestowitz, even he might hesitate for a few seconds
    before publishing it. If you are going to make stuff up, at least make
    it plausible and entertaining.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:16:21 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > "amicus_curious" writes:
    >
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>>
    >>> Most linux code is untested.
    >>>

    >> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    >> around Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that
    >> have been compromised with binaries that do not actually match the
    >> source files supplied. They look real, but they have some really
    >> nasty code that can infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of
    >> low level drive reformat can clean it off. Getting someone to open a
    >> file in an email is pretty hard to do anymore since so many people
    >> have caught onto the trick, but it seems that Linux fans are eager to
    >> stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from its boot record!
    >>

    > No! No! No!
    >
    > I pointed out the dangers of the ever increasing number of "how to"
    > guides in internet land. YOu know, social engineering attacks to
    > compromise peoples machines.
    >
    > COLA denied this could happen! Really! They point blankly refused to
    > believe that it was trivial to get a nOOb to run a sudo/su shell script
    > as part of "helping them" which would then compromise their
    > machines. They also refused to believe that you could run a script
    > without it having the x flag set (I pointed out that "sh ./script" does
    > just that).
    >
    > It's what makes COLA so fun - the "advocates" here know next to nothing
    > about Linux. Or are certainly blind to the problems.

    That's becoming more obvious by the day.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

  8. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    Hadron wrote:

    > "amicus_curious" writes:
    >
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>>
    >>> Most linux code is untested.
    >>>

    >> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    >> around Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that
    >> have been compromised with binaries that do not actually match the
    >> source files supplied. They look real, but they have some really
    >> nasty code that can infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of
    >> low level drive reformat can clean it off. Getting someone to open a
    >> file in an email is pretty hard to do anymore since so many people
    >> have caught onto the trick, but it seems that Linux fans are eager to
    >> stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from its boot record!
    >>

    > No! No! No!
    >
    > I pointed out the dangers of the ever increasing number of "how to"
    > guides in internet land. YOu know, social engineering attacks to
    > compromise peoples machines.
    >
    > COLA denied this could happen! Really! They point blankly refused to
    > believe that it was trivial to get a nOOb to run a sudo/su shell script
    > as part of "helping them" which would then compromise their
    > machines. They also refused to believe that you could run a script
    > without it having the x flag set (I pointed out that "sh ./script" does
    > just that).
    >
    > It's what makes COLA so fun - the "advocates" here know next to nothing
    > about Linux. Or are certainly blind to the problems.

    har har har har.

    I won't go into your complete acceptance of a rumour started by our friend,
    the court jester. You really are a gullible fellow.

    You are blind to methods of authentication before install. Follow the Gentoo
    cookbook and it describes how verification works.

    I'm sure there really are idiots out there who would install from a CD that
    a perfect stranger handed them, but they're idiots. They do things like
    that.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  9. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "amicus_curious" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    >>> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    >>> around Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that
    >>> have been compromised with binaries that do not actually match the
    >>> source files supplied. They look real, but they have some really
    >>> nasty code that can infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of
    >>> low level drive reformat can clean it off. Getting someone to open a
    >>> file in an email is pretty hard to do anymore since so many people
    >>> have caught onto the trick, but it seems that Linux fans are eager to
    >>> stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from its boot record!
    >>>

    >> No! No! No!
    >>
    >> I pointed out the dangers of the ever increasing number of "how to"
    >> guides in internet land. YOu know, social engineering attacks to
    >> compromise peoples machines.
    >>
    >> COLA denied this could happen! Really! They point blankly refused to
    >> believe that it was trivial to get a nOOb to run a sudo/su shell script
    >> as part of "helping them" which would then compromise their
    >> machines. They also refused to believe that you could run a script
    >> without it having the x flag set (I pointed out that "sh ./script" does
    >> just that).
    >>
    >> It's what makes COLA so fun - the "advocates" here know next to nothing
    >> about Linux. Or are certainly blind to the problems.
    >>

    > har har har har.
    >
    > I won't go into your complete acceptance of a rumour started by our friend,
    > the court jester. You really are a gullible fellow.

    Quack has used linux for about 2 years & is an "expert", didn't you know?
    It's not just COLA that denies this can happen, but Quack has had his arse
    kicked so many times, he just has to try & justify himself. Pathetic isn't it.

    > You are blind to methods of authentication before install. Follow the Gentoo
    > cookbook and it describes how verification works.
    >
    > I'm sure there really are idiots out there who would install from a CD that
    > a perfect stranger handed them, but they're idiots. They do things like
    > that.

    That applies to any OS.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    > news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>
    >> Most linux code is untested.
    >>

    > I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking around
    > Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    > compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    > supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    > infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive reformat
    > can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty
    > hard to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but it
    > seems that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run
    > it from its boot record!

    And I've heard rumours that someone swallowed a Linux CD and then *died*.
    After waking up in a bath full or ice with only one kidney, *and*
    discovering that the phone call was coming from *inside* the house.

    There really is no end to your collective desperation.

  11. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    Gregory Shearman writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "amicus_curious" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    >>> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    >>> around Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that
    >>> have been compromised with binaries that do not actually match the
    >>> source files supplied. They look real, but they have some really
    >>> nasty code that can infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of
    >>> low level drive reformat can clean it off. Getting someone to open a
    >>> file in an email is pretty hard to do anymore since so many people
    >>> have caught onto the trick, but it seems that Linux fans are eager to
    >>> stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run it from its boot record!
    >>>

    >> No! No! No!
    >>
    >> I pointed out the dangers of the ever increasing number of "how to"
    >> guides in internet land. YOu know, social engineering attacks to
    >> compromise peoples machines.
    >>
    >> COLA denied this could happen! Really! They point blankly refused to
    >> believe that it was trivial to get a nOOb to run a sudo/su shell script
    >> as part of "helping them" which would then compromise their
    >> machines. They also refused to believe that you could run a script
    >> without it having the x flag set (I pointed out that "sh ./script" does
    >> just that).
    >>
    >> It's what makes COLA so fun - the "advocates" here know next to nothing
    >> about Linux. Or are certainly blind to the problems.
    >>

    > har har har har.
    >
    > I won't go into your complete acceptance of a rumour started by our friend,
    > the court jester. You really are a gullible fellow.

    Actually I didnt necessarily believe him.

    > You are blind to methods of authentication before install. Follow the Gentoo
    > cookbook and it describes how verification works.

    Gentoo? I dont use Gentoo. Uh oh!

    > I'm sure there really are idiots out there who would install from a CD that
    > a perfect stranger handed them, but they're idiots. They do things like
    > that.

    No. Lets talk about the point I made about "How Tos".

  12. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    Sean Inglis wrote:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>>
    >>> Most linux code is untested.
    >>>

    >> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking around
    >> Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    >> compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    >> supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    >> infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive reformat
    >> can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty
    >> hard to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but it
    >> seems that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and run
    >> it from its boot record!

    > And I've heard rumours that someone swallowed a Linux CD and then *died*.
    > After waking up in a bath full or ice with only one kidney, *and*
    > discovering that the phone call was coming from *inside* the house.
    >
    > There really is no end to your collective desperation.

    The trolls seem to be really getting desperate with their FUD. They should go in
    for writing fantasy film scripts.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > Sean Inglis wrote:
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>> news:47ee3039$0$25998$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    >>> I have heard a rumor about how some nefarious cretins are skulking
    >>> around
    >>> Linux conferences handing out live CDs of various distros that have been
    >>> compromised with binaries that do not actually match the source files
    >>> supplied. They look real, but they have some really nasty code that can
    >>> infect a machine so deeply that nothing short of low level drive
    >>> reformat
    >>> can clean it off. Getting someone to open a file in an email is pretty
    >>> hard to do anymore since so many people have caught onto the trick, but
    >>> it
    >>> seems that Linux fans are eager to stuff a whole DVD into a drive and
    >>> run
    >>> it from its boot record!

    >> And I've heard rumours that someone swallowed a Linux CD and then *died*.
    >> After waking up in a bath full or ice with only one kidney, *and*
    >> discovering that the phone call was coming from *inside* the house.
    >>
    >> There really is no end to your collective desperation.

    > The trolls seem to be really getting desperate with their FUD. They should
    > go in
    > for writing fantasy film scripts.

    Here's a fantasy film script for ya willy - more than 1% of the population
    uses linux on the desktop.

    Nah. Too far out in left field. Nobody would ever believe that.

    > --
    > Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    > COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    William Poaster wrote:

    >Sean Inglis wrote:
    >>
    >> And I've heard rumours that someone swallowed a Linux CD and then *died*.
    >> After waking up in a bath full or ice with only one kidney, *and*
    >> discovering that the phone call was coming from *inside* the house.
    >>
    >> There really is no end to your collective desperation.

    >The trolls seem to be really getting desperate with their FUD. They should go in
    >for writing fantasy film scripts.

    Hehe. I was thinking along the same lines - like espionage books.
    (Did you know that Blammer is also a CIA hit-man on the side?)

  15. Re: Linux: 3 seconds to use 100% of swap, 5 minutes to crash

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > WTF? That's all so far-fetched that if you changed "Linux" to "Windows"
    > and sent it to Schestowitz, even he might hesitate for a few seconds
    > before publishing it. If you are going to make stuff up, at least make
    > it plausible and entertaining.

    Now come on, it was very entertaining.
    Utter trash, but entertaining. It gives us a close look into what these
    people believe to be "reality".

+ Reply to Thread