Linux: freezing up step by step - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: freezing up step by step - Linux ; "It's crazy. The system freezes... no ctrl-alt-backspace, but mouse cursor still moves... And it freezes step by step. Some time ago it froze only while using dpkg, while installing a program. Now sometimes it freezes while logging in, or starting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Linux: freezing up step by step

    "It's crazy. The system freezes... no ctrl-alt-backspace, but mouse cursor
    still moves...
    And it freezes step by step.

    Some time ago it froze only while using dpkg, while installing a program.
    Now sometimes it freezes while logging in, or starting a program, opening a
    window etc.

    1) a program won't react at all.
    2) other programs are still alive, for example firefox, but when I press an
    arrow key, it scrolls only one step, not more (alt-tab=instant lockup)
    3) system monitor (CPU usage etc) graphs stop
    4) Firefox etc stop reacting
    5) mouse is still alive, icons highlight
    6) all dies, mouse cursor alive, but system doesn't respond.

    It's all crazy....
    If I press ctrl-alt-f1, the screen is messed up, if not, I can type
    login-password, but I never get a console."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=23

    LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    stand the stuff.

  2. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    DFS wrote:

    > LMAO@ this crapware! *I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    > stand the stuff.

    Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and no one is
    using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just **** off?

    You sound like someone with way too much time on your hands. Hardly the
    image of a so-called big database application programmer.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> LMAO@ this crapware! *I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    >> stand the stuff.

    > Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and no one
    > is using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just **** off?
    >
    > You sound like someone with way too much time on your hands. Hardly the
    > image of a so-called big database application programmer.

    Just another lying troll who is so "unconcerned" about Linux that he help
    drooling about it 24/7 in COLA.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On 2008-03-29 02:15:05 -0400, "DFS" said:

    > "It's crazy. The system freezes... no ctrl-alt-backspace, but mouse cursor
    > still moves...
    > And it freezes step by step.
    >
    > Some time ago it froze only while using dpkg, while installing a program.
    > Now sometimes it freezes while logging in, or starting a program, opening a
    > window etc.
    >
    > 1) a program won't react at all.
    > 2) other programs are still alive, for example firefox, but when I press an
    > arrow key, it scrolls only one step, not more (alt-tab=instant lockup)
    > 3) system monitor (CPU usage etc) graphs stop
    > 4) Firefox etc stop reacting
    > 5) mouse is still alive, icons highlight
    > 6) all dies, mouse cursor alive, but system doesn't respond.
    >
    > It's all crazy....
    > If I press ctrl-alt-f1, the screen is messed up, if not, I can type
    > login-password, but I never get a console."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=23
    >

    > LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    > stand the stuff.

    It must SUCK to be you!

  5. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    >> stand the stuff.

    > Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and no one
    > is
    > using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just **** off?

    According to you retards Microsoft is collapsing and will be out of
    business in a few months.

    > You sound like someone with way too much time on your hands. Hardly the
    > image of a so-called big database application programmer.

    When it comes to having "too much time on your hands" look no further than
    the resident unemployed spammer - Roy Schestowitz. Perhaps you need to get
    your own house in order before whining about others.

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Gregory.
    > Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks
    >> can stand the stuff.

    > Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and no
    > one is using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just ****
    > off?

    Shouldn't you channel your childish anger and frothing to more productive
    uses than slinging curse words?

    > You sound like someone with way too much time on your hands. Hardly
    > the image of a so-called big database application programmer.

    Clarify what you mean by 'big database application programmer'.

  7. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:15:05 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "It's crazy. The system freezes... no ctrl-alt-backspace, but mouse cursor
    > still moves...
    > And it freezes step by step.
    >
    > Some time ago it froze only while using dpkg, while installing a program.
    > Now sometimes it freezes while logging in, or starting a program, opening a
    > window etc.
    >
    > 1) a program won't react at all.
    > 2) other programs are still alive, for example firefox, but when I press an
    > arrow key, it scrolls only one step, not more (alt-tab=instant lockup)
    > 3) system monitor (CPU usage etc) graphs stop
    > 4) Firefox etc stop reacting
    > 5) mouse is still alive, icons highlight
    > 6) all dies, mouse cursor alive, but system doesn't respond.
    >
    > It's all crazy....
    > If I press ctrl-alt-f1, the screen is messed up, if not, I can type
    > login-password, but I never get a console."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=23
    >

    > LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks can
    > stand the stuff.

    That sounds like Linux alright!!
    Of course the Linux stalwarts will claim Linux never crashes and that Linux
    is perfect.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  9. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  10. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    DFS wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> LMAO@ this crapware! I *really, truly* don't know how you cola wacks
    >>> can stand the stuff.

    >> Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and no
    >> one is using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just ****
    >> off?

    > Shouldn't you channel your childish anger and frothing to more productive
    > uses than slinging curse words?

    Haven't you got a job to do? Why hang around here if Linux is dead?

    You must be the biggest ****ing loser of all time.

    Hanging around in a tiny group of loser linux users who are losing
    their "market share" to Microsoft.... pathetic.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: "DFS"
    Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:35:36 -0400
    Subject: Re: Rex Ballard: one bit away from Java

    [...]

    > What is your primary profession?

    I'd describe it as primarily end-user database application developer.

    [...]

    > What experience in participating in a large project to YOU have?

    One of the more waste-of-time projects I'm involved in is slapping your lies
    all around Usenet.

    But size wise? I guess it depends on how you measure it. By budget for the
    direct labor: probably a $1.2-$1.5 million order management system for a
    travel company.

    [...]

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  12. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:19:06 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Why don't you just go away? According to you, Linux is ****ed and
    >>> no one is using it, so why don't you stop your trolling and just
    >>> **** off?

    >> Shouldn't you channel your childish anger and frothing to more
    >> productive uses than slinging curse words?

    > Haven't you got a job to do? Why hang around here if Linux is dead?
    > You must be the biggest ****ing loser of all time.
    >
    > Hanging around in a tiny group of loser linux users who are losing
    > their "market share" to Microsoft.... pathetic.

    The most likely reason why DFS spends so much time posting crap to
    cola is that Linux is a threat to his job prospects or he is paid to
    do so. The latter is unlikely imho as even microsoft aren't so stupid.

    Given the amount of time and effort DFS is putting in these days I
    think he's out of a job and blames it on Linux and OSS. He's a VB
    coder after all and remember what Dijkstra had to say about basic
    coders.

  13. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Haven't you got a job to do? Why hang around here if Linux is dead?
    >
    > You must be the biggest ****ing loser of all time.
    >
    > Hanging around in a tiny group of loser linux users who are losing
    > their "market share" to Microsoft.... pathetic.

    Yep. If the Linux Advocates on COLA don't have a life, what does that say
    about the WinTrolls who are seemingly obsessed with everything we do?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  14. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Tappit Hen wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:19:06 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Shouldn't you channel your childish anger and frothing to more
    >>> productive uses than slinging curse words?

    >> Haven't you got a job to do? Why hang around here if Linux is dead?
    >> You must be the biggest ****ing loser of all time.
    >>
    >> Hanging around in a tiny group of loser linux users who are losing
    >> their "market share" to Microsoft.... pathetic.

    > The most likely reason why DFS spends so much time posting crap to
    > cola is that Linux is a threat to his job prospects or he is paid to
    > do so. The latter is unlikely imho as even microsoft aren't so stupid.
    >
    > Given the amount of time and effort DFS is putting in these days I
    > think he's out of a job and blames it on Linux and OSS. He's a VB
    > coder after all and remember what Dijkstra had to say about basic
    > coders.

    "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that
    have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are
    mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

    Hmmm.... poor DFS.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  15. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 06:53:02 -0000, Tappit Hen wrote:

    Catchy nym..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Haven't you got a job to do? Why hang around here if Linux is dead?

    Whoever said that?

    >>> You must be the biggest ****ing loser of all time.

    You need to get that tic looked at, bozo. Slinging '****' around all the
    time won't be good for your career.

    >>> Hanging around in a tiny group of loser linux users who are losing
    >>> their "market share" to Microsoft.... pathetic.

    Yet you keep responding?

    >> The most likely reason why DFS spends so much time posting crap to
    >> cola is that Linux is a threat to his job prospects or he is paid to
    >> do so. The latter is unlikely imho as even microsoft aren't so
    >> stupid.
    >>
    >> Given the amount of time and effort DFS is putting in these days I
    >> think he's out of a job

    Not yet. 5 days a week I go to a client's office (I even have my own cube)
    and toil.

    >> and blames it on Linux and OSS. He's a VB
    >> coder after all and remember what Dijkstra had to say about basic
    >> coders.

    > "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students
    > that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers
    > they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

    Then I guess most of the OSS world had prior BASIC exposure, 'cause their
    products reek.

    > Hmmm.... poor DFS.

    I've been paid to deliver production code with Lotus 1-2-3 macros, dBase,
    Clipper, Paradox, ObjectPAL, PL/SQL, T-SQL, VB, Java, Rexx, and even a tiny
    amount of perl. So?

  17. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    with some nNvidia drivers. Maybe the guy should try Windows 64 bit.

    There are over sixty posts on this thread at Ubuntu forums, and so far
    you've created two threads here on cola from two of them. Why don't
    you create sixty more? It'll make the problem look sixty times worse
    than it is.

  18. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    > with some nNvidia drivers. Maybe the guy should try Windows 64 bit.
    >
    > There are over sixty posts on this thread at Ubuntu forums, and so far
    > you've created two threads here on cola from two of them. Why don't
    > you create sixty more? It'll make the problem look sixty times worse
    > than it is.

    We actually have a workstation in our house that might be suffering
    from this particular bug (it matches the description of components
    and behavior). I've loaded up an OProfile enabled kernel on the box
    and plan to run this bugger to ground. So far, I can see that Xorg
    is getting into a loop talking to the in focus app whenever the
    system locks up... something in the event handling I suspect. I've
    got some time between consulting gigs so hopefully I'll have this
    bug squashed shortly.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  19. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    > with some nNvidia drivers.

    It also seems there's a problem when you run Gutsy (Feisty, too, but not as
    much) on AMD 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia drivers, or when
    you run Gutsy on Intel 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia
    drivers. With IDE drives, or with SATA drives. With 2gb or 4gb of RAM.
    With acpi enabled or disabled. With onboard sound enabled or disabled.
    With or without RAID. etc.

    It freezes when you boot, after boot but before the system is warmed up, at
    idle, under load, every 2 minutes, every half hour, when you move a window,
    when you open a 2nd window, when you copy a file, when you browse youtube,
    with compiz running, without compiz running, because of Google Earth, with
    ntfs partitions, without ntfs partitions, during a torrent download, using
    or not using Inkscape, Firefox, Iceweasel, etc.

    The slopware crashes across the whole spectrum of hardware and software
    configurations and user activities. There's nothing common to all 63 pages
    of complaints - except a *very* crappy operating system.

    > Maybe the guy should try Windows 64 bit.

    He would be better off.

    > There are over sixty posts on this thread at Ubuntu forums

    Sixty? There are nearly 630.

    > , and so far
    > you've created two threads here on cola from two of them. Why don't
    > you create sixty more? It'll make the problem look sixty times worse
    > than it is.

    60 more threads like that might counteract some of the lies told today by
    "advocates."

  20. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    >> with some nNvidia drivers. Maybe the guy should try Windows 64 bit.
    >>
    >> There are over sixty posts on this thread at Ubuntu forums, and so far
    >> you've created two threads here on cola from two of them. Why don't
    >> you create sixty more? It'll make the problem look sixty times worse
    >> than it is.

    > We actually have a workstation in our house that might be suffering
    > from this particular bug (it matches the description of components
    > and behavior). I've loaded up an OProfile enabled kernel on the box
    > and plan to run this bugger to ground. So far, I can see that Xorg
    > is getting into a loop talking to the in focus app whenever the
    > system locks up... something in the event handling I suspect. I've
    > got some time between consulting gigs so hopefully I'll have this
    > bug squashed shortly.
    >
    > Thad

    LOL.

    Thad bringing Linux closer to Gregory's granny and her copy of the nntp
    spec every day!

    btw, focus changes always were the biggest killer in any GUI app.

    --
    I don't think 'It's better than hurling yourself into a meat grinder'
    is a good rationale for doing something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast