Linux: freezing up step by step - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: freezing up step by step - Linux ; On Mar 31, 7:35 pm, "DFS" wrote: > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote: > > Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit > > with some nNvidia drivers. > > It also seems there's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On Mar 31, 7:35 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    > > with some nNvidia drivers.

    > It also seems there's a problem when you run Gutsy (Feisty, too, but not as
    > much) on AMD 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia drivers, or when
    > you run Gutsy on Intel 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia
    > drivers. With IDE drives, or with SATA drives. With 2gb or 4gb of RAM.
    > With acpi enabled or disabled. With onboard sound enabled or disabled.
    > With or without RAID. etc.
    >
    > It freezes when you boot, after boot but before the system is warmed up, at
    > idle, under load, every 2 minutes, every half hour, when you move a window,
    > when you open a 2nd window, when you copy a file, when you browse youtube,
    > with compiz running, without compiz running, because of Google Earth, with
    > ntfs partitions, without ntfs partitions, during a torrent download, using
    > or not using Inkscape, Firefox, Iceweasel, etc.
    >
    > The slopware crashes across the whole spectrum of hardware and software
    > configurations and user activities. There's nothing common to all 63 pages
    > of complaints - except a *very* crappy operating system.

    There were 63 posts on that thread when I looked at it yesterday.

    You don't document the claims you make above, which imply that Ubuntu
    is unusable in any configuration. I know that's not true because I
    have been using it for over a year on one machine (6.04), and since
    December on 3 more (7.10), and I have had none of the troubles you
    mention. I'm running Intel 32 bit BTW on all my machines, one with
    nVidia drivers, the others ATI. I have never had a freeze on boot,
    never after boot, never had a freeze at all under any circumstances,
    neither browsing youtube (never used compiz so can't say about that)
    or under any other circumstances.

    I'm not saying I didn't have problems. Most were taken care of during
    installation and configuration, but everything is running fine now.
    The installation of 6.04 was nearly flawless but 7.10 gave me more
    trouble, and I think a novice would not be able to go through my
    installation of 7.10 without some help. But freezes and crashes?
    None. Some of the problems I encountered were due to bugs in firefox
    plugins.

  2. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > There were 63 posts on that thread when I looked at it yesterday.
    >
    > You don't document the claims you make above,

    Every hardware and software example I mentioned is found in that 628 post
    thread (up from 627 last night - another 'my Linux system locks up' post was
    added today).

    > which imply that Ubuntu
    > is unusable in any configuration.

    That's your interpretation. Why so suspicious of Linux?

    Look on the bright side - it's free! And that means constant freezing and
    forced reboots and lost work don't really cost you anything!

    > I know that's not true because I
    > have been using it for over a year on one machine (6.04), and since
    > December on 3 more (7.10), and I have had none of the troubles you
    > mention.

    Millions have:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,130,000 for Linux locks up
    Results 1 - 10 of about 411,000 for Linux freezes.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 497,000 for Linux hangs.

    I'd be very surprised if any Linux user hasn't experienced his Linux box
    locking up randomly.

    > I'm running Intel 32 bit BTW on all my machines, one with
    > nVidia drivers, the others ATI. I have never had a freeze on boot,
    > never after boot, never had a freeze at all under any circumstances,
    > neither browsing youtube (never used compiz so can't say about that)
    > or under any other circumstances.

    Sample of one!

    > I'm not saying I didn't have problems.

    I wouldn't believe you if you did.

    > Most were taken care of during
    > installation and configuration, but everything is running fine now.

    Give it another 5 minutes.

    > The installation of 6.04 was nearly flawless but 7.10 gave me more
    > trouble, and I think a novice would not be able to go through my
    > installation of 7.10 without some help. But freezes and crashes?
    > None.

    63 pages of complaints about freezing here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    It's amazing how you cola lusers defend and dismiss Linux slopware - and it
    really is slopware - but spend years harping on every little Windows issue.

    > Some of the problems I encountered were due to bugs in firefox plugins.

    Probably not a Linux problem, then.

  3. Re: Linux: freezing up step by step

    On 2008-04-01, DFS wrote:
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Yes, it seems there is a problem when you run Gutsy on an AMD 64 bit
    >> with some nNvidia drivers.

    > It also seems there's a problem when you run Gutsy (Feisty, too, but not as
    > much) on AMD 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia drivers, or when
    > you run Gutsy on Intel 32 bit or 64 bit with or without ATI or nVidia
    > drivers. With IDE drives, or with SATA drives. With 2gb or 4gb of RAM.

    Well, I can personally rule out the following combinations:

    Gutsy 64bit with ATI proprietary drivers.
    Gutsy 32bit with NV proprietary drivers.
    Gutsy 32bit with the intel driver.

    [deletia]

    >> Maybe the guy should try Windows 64 bit.

    > He would be better off.

    No, he would end up in a similar position. He would cease
    to be "where all the users are".

    [deletia]

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2