Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up" - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up" - Linux ; "I have just started experiencing totally random lockups. It's locked up so bad I can't even cnt-alt-f1 to a tty. The keyboard does nothing. I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working too. Nothing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

  1. Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    "I have just started experiencing totally random lockups. It's locked up so
    bad I can't even cnt-alt-f1 to a tty. The keyboard does nothing. I can
    wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working too.
    Nothing in the logs looks amiss. This has been happening for 3 days now.

    This is on a feisty install that's been stable for 6 months. I dual-boot to
    XP, XP never locks up. So I don't think it's hardware."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13



  2. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:12:00 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "I have just started experiencing totally random lockups. It's locked up so
    > bad I can't even cnt-alt-f1 to a tty. The keyboard does nothing. I can
    > wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops working too.
    > Nothing in the logs looks amiss. This has been happening for 3 days now.
    >
    > This is on a feisty install that's been stable for 6 months. I dual-boot to
    > XP, XP never locks up. So I don't think it's hardware."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13


    It's Linux, specifically Ubuntu.

    They have about 70 pages on the site about Ubuntu locking up.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:19:06 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:12:00 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "I have just started experiencing totally random lockups. It's locked
    >> up so bad I can't even cnt-alt-f1 to a tty. The keyboard does nothing.
    >> I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops
    >> working too. Nothing in the logs looks amiss. This has been happening
    >> for 3 days now.
    >>
    >> This is on a feisty install that's been stable for 6 months. I
    >> dual-boot to XP, XP never locks up. So I don't think it's hardware."
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13


    Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).

    >
    > It's Linux, specifically Ubuntu.
    >
    > They have about 70 pages on the site about Ubuntu locking up.


    That's 70 pages containing a handful of complaints and consisting mostly
    of discussion and suggestions for tracing and fixing the problem, but of
    course the lying MS shills want any visitors here to believe it's 70
    pages of nothing but complaints. Nothing new there, but here's something
    interesting for my fellow Linux users: One of the major causes of random
    lockups under Linux is bad ACPI info provided by faulty DSDT's compiled
    by Microsoft's ASL compiler. A more detailed description of the problem,
    along with a general procedure for fixing it, can be found here:

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems

    "The ACPI Specification defines the requirements for the DSDT (and
    everything else, for that matter) pretty explicitly. Intel's ASL
    compiler, iasl, used to compile the DSDT to AML from ASL, will throw
    errors and warnings if the underlying ASL is buggy. Unfortunately,
    Microsoft's ASL compiler allows many of these errors and warnings to
    sneak by. As a result, many OEMs write buggy DSDTs, and it turns out
    that Windows is very forgiving of bugs in the DSDT that get by
    Microsoft's compiler (not surprisingly)."

    "What this means is that a DSDT that does not conform to the ACPI
    specification will work under Windows, even though it
    shouldn't. However, when you try to use it in Linux, where the ACPI
    developers expect that the DSDT is written to comply with the standard
    (and the Intel ASL compiler), the buggy sections of the DSDT are
    unsupported. If you have a buggy DSDT, ACPI may not be aware that
    certain devices exist. Or, if it is aware, it may not support all of
    their capabilites. If you have either of these symptoms (missing or
    incompletely supported functionality in /proc/acpi), then the cause may
    be a buggy DSDT."

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    Nearly every random-lockup problem that I've been able to trace on Linux
    systems was found to be due either to faulty hardware or to a faulty
    DSDT that was fixed by decompiling, fixing, and recompiling the code as
    outlined on the above-mentioned webpage. The latter was caused not by
    bad Linux programming, but by vendors' errors that "slipped through"
    Microsoft's ASL compiler - whose faulty output Microsoft "just happens"
    to ignore in their own code. Not that I'm accusing them of anything. No,
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence, just like all the other coincidences
    that unintentionally cripple competitors and make it appear to be their
    own fault...

    There is an effort to replace the faulty DSDT's with working ones, and
    other groups are working on bypassing the DSDT the way Windows does, so
    some distro's or releases might have problems where others don't. Also,
    updates with new features that utilize some previously-unused section of
    the DSDT that contains an error can cause random lockups or other odd
    symptoms where they didn't exist in earlier versions.


  4. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    In article <13uu1tjbvgug1eb@news.supernews.com>,
    El Tux wrote:


    > Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    > RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).


    That's true for any Computer, regardless of OS.

  5. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:28:48 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:

    > In article <13uu1tjbvgug1eb@news.supernews.com>,
    > El Tux wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    >> RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).

    >
    > That's true for any Computer, regardless of OS.


    Of course, but the OP said it doesn't happen with Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    In article <1m0hd43tn8ktf$.1fyfseu3yewho.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:28:48 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:
    >
    > > In article <13uu1tjbvgug1eb@news.supernews.com>,
    > > El Tux wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >> Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    > >> RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).

    > >
    > > That's true for any Computer, regardless of OS.

    >
    > Of course, but the OP said it doesn't happen with Windows.


    Well, it may not happen to him, but it can happen with any computer.

  7. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:35:45 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:

    > In article <1m0hd43tn8ktf$.1fyfseu3yewho.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:28:48 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <13uu1tjbvgug1eb@news.supernews.com>,
    >>> El Tux wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    >>>> RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).
    >>>
    >>> That's true for any Computer, regardless of OS.

    >>
    >> Of course, but the OP said it doesn't happen with Windows.

    >
    > Well, it may not happen to him, but it can happen with any computer.


    True but if it doesn't happen with an alternate OS chances are good it
    isn't a hardware problem.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 03:23:31 -0000, El Tux
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:19:06 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:12:00 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I have just started experiencing totally random lockups. It's locked
    >>> up so bad I can't even cnt-alt-f1 to a tty. The keyboard does nothing.
    >>> I can wiggle the mouse around for a while then eventually it stops
    >>> working too. Nothing in the logs looks amiss. This has been happening
    >>> for 3 days now.
    >>>
    >>> This is on a feisty install that's been stable for 6 months. I
    >>> dual-boot to XP, XP never locks up. So I don't think it's hardware."
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13

    >
    >Any time I encounter random lockups in Linux, my first suspicion is bad
    >RAM or hard drive, and my second is a bad DSDT (see below).
    >
    >>
    >> It's Linux, specifically Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> They have about 70 pages on the site about Ubuntu locking up.

    >
    >That's 70 pages containing a handful of complaints and consisting mostly
    >of discussion and suggestions for tracing and fixing the problem, but of
    >course the lying MS shills want any visitors here to believe it's 70
    >pages of nothing but complaints. Nothing new there, but here's something
    >interesting for my fellow Linux users: One of the major causes of random
    >lockups under Linux is bad ACPI info provided by faulty DSDT's compiled
    >by Microsoft's ASL compiler. A more detailed description of the problem,
    >along with a general procedure for fixing it, can be found here:
    >
    >------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems
    >
    >"The ACPI Specification defines the requirements for the DSDT (and
    >everything else, for that matter) pretty explicitly. Intel's ASL
    >compiler, iasl, used to compile the DSDT to AML from ASL, will throw
    >errors and warnings if the underlying ASL is buggy. Unfortunately,
    >Microsoft's ASL compiler allows many of these errors and warnings to
    >sneak by. As a result, many OEMs write buggy DSDTs, and it turns out
    >that Windows is very forgiving of bugs in the DSDT that get by
    >Microsoft's compiler (not surprisingly)."
    >
    >"What this means is that a DSDT that does not conform to the ACPI
    >specification will work under Windows, even though it
    >shouldn't. However, when you try to use it in Linux, where the ACPI
    >developers expect that the DSDT is written to comply with the standard
    >(and the Intel ASL compiler), the buggy sections of the DSDT are
    >unsupported. If you have a buggy DSDT, ACPI may not be aware that
    >certain devices exist. Or, if it is aware, it may not support all of
    >their capabilites. If you have either of these symptoms (missing or
    >incompletely supported functionality in /proc/acpi), then the cause may
    >be a buggy DSDT."
    >
    >------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >Nearly every random-lockup problem that I've been able to trace on Linux
    >systems was found to be due either to faulty hardware or to a faulty
    >DSDT that was fixed by decompiling, fixing, and recompiling the code as
    >outlined on the above-mentioned webpage. The latter was caused not by
    >bad Linux programming, but by vendors' errors that "slipped through"
    >Microsoft's ASL compiler - whose faulty output Microsoft "just happens"
    >to ignore in their own code. Not that I'm accusing them of anything. No,
    >I'm sure it's just a coincidence, just like all the other coincidences
    >that unintentionally cripple competitors and make it appear to be their
    >own fault...
    >
    >There is an effort to replace the faulty DSDT's with working ones, and
    >other groups are working on bypassing the DSDT the way Windows does, so
    >some distro's or releases might have problems where others don't. Also,
    >updates with new features that utilize some previously-unused section of
    >the DSDT that contains an error can cause random lockups or other odd
    >symptoms where they didn't exist in earlier versions.


    I've been running the same XP OS for over 3 years and not one lock up.

  9. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  10. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  11. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  12. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    Lookout wrote:

    > I've been running the same XP OS for over 3 years and not one lock up.


    You must hold the record.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:05:02 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Lookout wrote:
    >
    >> I've been running the same XP OS for over 3 years and not one lock up.

    >
    > You must hold the record.


    I've never had a lockup either with Windows XP.
    I've had plenty of Linux lockups though, not the kernel but the GUI
    environment which if all I am running is GUI applications is for all
    practical purposes the same thing.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Linux: "totally random lockups" XP: "never locks up"

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:05:02 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Lookout wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been running the same XP OS for over 3 years and not one lock up.

    >>
    >> You must hold the record.

    >
    > I've never had a lockup either with Windows XP.
    > I've had plenty of Linux lockups though, not the kernel but the GUI
    > environment which if all I am running is GUI applications is for all
    > practical purposes the same thing.


    Yup. 3 "X" lockups during screen saver usage in the past 2 days. Assume
    its a 2.6.24 kernel and Nvidia driver issue that will be addressed in
    the near future. Didn't have many X lockups in 2-6-23 though.

    --
    However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
    it not existing.
    -- Daniel Stone on debian-{x,devel}, commenting on the
    future of X

+ Reply to Thread