Dual operating systems - Linux

This is a discussion on Dual operating systems - Linux ; I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum. Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm ...

  1. Dual operating systems

    I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want to
    remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft website, my
    first step is to start the computer using the Linux Setup floppy disk.
    I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to me how to do this?
    Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk automatically remove
    Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    Bryan

  2. Re: Dual operating systems

    Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    > Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    > had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    > perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    > my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    > "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want to
    > remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft website, my
    > first step is to start the computer using the Linux Setup floppy disk.
    > I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to me how to do this?
    > Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk automatically remove
    > Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    > Bryan

    Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine? I run Win2K in
    VirtualBox and that takes care of all the Windows' programs I need.
    Dual-booting is a pain.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Dual operating systems

    RonB wrote:

    > Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    >> Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    >> had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    >> perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    >> my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    >> "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want to
    >> remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft website, my
    >> first step is to start the computer using the Linux Setup floppy disk.
    >> I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to me how to do this?
    >> Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk automatically remove
    >> Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    >> Bryan

    > Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine? I run Win2K in
    > VirtualBox and that takes care of all the Windows' programs I need.
    > Dual-booting is a pain.

    If you use VirtualBox with their guest additions CD, then you can
    have seamless integration of mouse and clipboard so you can copy
    data from one OS into the next.
    Also if you have a dual core or quad core CPU, the expee
    will be run significantly faster in emulation than your
    real expee. That means music and video still works as well as CAD
    programs. The great thing is that the virtual machine is a single
    file and if it gets infected corrupted by numerous dumb windummy
    software, then you can keep multiple copies of the single file
    to try before committing and recover from bad installs.

    You can also try many different Linuxes as well while learning.
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: Dual operating systems

    Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    > Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    > had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    > perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    > my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    > "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want to
    > remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft website, my
    > first step is to start the computer using the Linux Setup floppy disk.
    > I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to me how to do this?
    > Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk automatically remove
    > Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    > Bryan

    Bryan,

    Make sure that your system is set to boot from your CD/DVD first in the
    BIOS, then boot from the XP disc. After you have installed XP boot from
    disc again, this time with the Fedora disc. Let Fedora make some room for
    itself on your disc and it will then install and set up the dual booting
    option ready for when you start your system in the future.

    Fedora is a good distro and there is a great deal of software available for
    it freely downloadable.

    Good Luck and welcome to the Linux world!

  5. Re: Dual operating systems

    SomeBloke wrote:

    >Make sure that your system is set to boot from your CD/DVD first in the
    >BIOS, then boot from the XP disc. After you have installed XP boot from
    >disc again, this time with the Fedora disc. Let Fedora make some room for
    >itself on your disc and it will then install and set up the dual booting
    >option ready for when you start your system in the future.

    Well, if starting from scratch, I would direst the XP install to not
    take all the space on the drive in the first place. Then Fedora need
    not "make some room for itself".

    Another alternative, if XP is already installed on your drive, is to
    add another drive for Linux.

  6. Re: Dual operating systems

    chrisv wrote:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >>Make sure that your system is set to boot from your CD/DVD first in the
    >>BIOS, then boot from the XP disc. After you have installed XP boot from
    >>disc again, this time with the Fedora disc. Let Fedora make some room for
    >>itself on your disc and it will then install and set up the dual booting
    >>option ready for when you start your system in the future.

    > Well, if starting from scratch, I would direst the XP install to not
    > take all the space on the drive in the first place. Then Fedora need
    > not "make some room for itself".
    >
    > Another alternative, if XP is already installed on your drive, is to
    > add another drive for Linux.

    All true. I don't know how much knowledge the OP has so I just went with the
    line of least resistance. Installing on a second hard drive is fine if you
    have a desktop and not a laptop. Something the OP didn't mention.

  7. Re: Dual operating systems

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:54:03 -0700 (PDT), Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    > Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    > had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    > perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    > my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    > "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want to
    > remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft website, my
    > first step is to start the computer using the Linux Setup floppy disk.
    > I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to me how to do this?
    > Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk automatically remove
    > Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    > Bryan

    Why bother?
    You've just discovered for yourself why Linux has 0.6 percent of the
    desktop market share even after 10+ years.

    with actually accomplishing some work rather than tinkering with a 3rd rate
    OS.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Dual operating systems

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:54:03 -0700 (PDT), Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure whether I should be posting here or on a windows forum.
    >> Anyhow, last month I installed Fedora 8 as my only OS. But I'm having
    >> had a great deal of difficulty learning how to use it. I'm thinking
    >> perhaps I should have both Windows XP and Linux operating systems on
    >> my computer. Rather than quitting windoze cold turkey, maybe
    >> "gradually" would be a better way of doing it. My problem is I want
    >> to remove Fedora 8 and start over. According to the Microsoft
    >> website, my first step is to start the computer using the Linux
    >> Setup floppy disk. I don't have any such disk! Can anyone explain to
    >> me how to do this? Will booting from my Windows XP installation disk
    >> automatically remove Linux? I hope I'm in the right forum here.
    >> Bryan

    > Why bother?
    > You've just discovered for yourself why Linux has 0.6 percent of the
    > desktop market share even after 10+ years.

    > along with actually accomplishing some work rather than tinkering
    > with a 3rd rate OS.

    If you boot from the Windows CD you can format the drive and start over.
    --
    http://www.kustomkomputa.co.uk
    - Personalised Desktop Computers

  9. Re: Dual operating systems

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  10. Re: Dual operating systems

    Thanks for all the info. In response to Moshe's comment. I've never
    used Vista, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews about it either.
    Seeing as XP is on it's way out anyways, now is a good time to start
    looking at alternatives.
    Bryan

  11. Re: Dual operating systems

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:27:34 -0700 (PDT), Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:

    > Thanks for all the info. In response to Moshe's comment. I've never
    > used Vista, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews about it either.
    > Seeing as XP is on it's way out anyways, now is a good time to start
    > looking at alternatives.
    > Bryan

    I'm not a fan of Vista.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Dual operating systems

    Totalrod2@aol.com wrote:

    > Thanks for all the info. In response to Moshe's comment. I've never
    > used Vista, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews about it either.
    > Seeing as XP is on it's way out anyways, now is a good time to start
    > looking at alternatives.

    Another reason I changed to Linux a few months ago. XP will be going away --
    some day (maybe) -- and I'm never going to Vista. Besides, it seems to me
    that XP upgrades are working towards "Vista-izing" XP.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: Dual operating systems

    > Another reason I changed to Linux a few months ago. XP will be going away -- some day (maybe) -- and I'm never going to Vista. Besides, it seems to me that XP upgrades are working towards "Vista-izing" XP.
    RonB

    I noticed that back in September when our computer came back from
    repairs. The "automatic updates" had been switched on and I was
    beginning to have trouble with the printer and getting CD's to play.
    Since then, XP has been reinstalled and "automatic updates" shut off.
    Absolutely no problems since. Microsoft should be ashamed of
    themselves....it took them 8 years to develop a piece of crap OS.
    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread