[News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About Legal Trap - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About Legal Trap - Linux ; OOXML Vote Coverage ,----[ Quote ] | Votes | | P Members: | | Canada: No | Czech Republic: Yes | USA: Yes | India: No | China: No | Belgium: Abstain | Germany: Yes | Netherlands: Abstain | Denmark: ...

  1. [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About Legal Trap

    OOXML Vote Coverage

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Votes
    |
    | P Members:
    |
    | Canada: No
    | Czech Republic: Yes
    | USA: Yes
    | India: No
    | China: No
    | Belgium: Abstain
    | Germany: Yes
    | Netherlands: Abstain
    | Denmark: No
    | Finland: Yes
    | Kenya: Abstain
    |
    | O Members:
    |
    | Brazil: No
    | Cuba: No
    | Romania: Yes
    |
    | Predicted total result
    |
    | P Approval: 60.6%, (higher than 66.7% needed).
    | Overall No Votes: 24.3%, (lower than 25% needed).
    |
    | OOXML Fails.
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/more/forma...-27-22-20.html

    Microsoft: We won't sue over future OOXML versions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux Australia president Stewart Smith said Microsoft's announcement has
    | helped to allay fears over one issue that the SLFC raised but did not deal
    | with its biggest concern: that the OSP-covered specifications are not
    | compatible with the General Public License (GPL).
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9375168,00.htm

    Excluding the #1 competition? What is Microsoft still so afraid of?

    Related:

    Another Reason Microsoft's OSP Isn't Good Enough

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Eek. I understand that to be saying that there are gaps in OSP coverage.
    | You'll get documents you can't legally open unless you are using Microsoft's
    | software, because the extensions found in Office but not in OOXML proper, so
    | to speak, are not covered. Let me explain what I think they are saying this
    | means. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | We knew we'd get documents we couldn't open effectively from a technical
    | standpoint, without at least losing something in the translation. But if
    | extensions to the OOXML format, as exemplified in Microsoft Office 2007, are
    | not covered by the OSP, and evidently they are not, when you get a document
    | with, say, spreadsheet macros, or DRM, what legally protects you if open the
    | document? All Microsoft has to do, then, is extend the format, as it already
    | has, and you then can only interoperate with them if you use Microsoft
    | software too. So. OSP gaps. Nice work if you can get it. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    OOXML IPR problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Anyway, the phrase that caught my eye last night in one of the presentations
    | I was sent was ‚ÄúNo IPR problems!‚ÄĚ.
    |
    | I immediately thought ‚ÄúThat should have an asterisk.‚ÄĚ As in:
    |
    | ‚ÄúNo IPR problems!*‚ÄĚ
    |
    | * If you don’t care about 1) everything you need to use the spec, or 2) are
    | interested in using free software.
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2128

    Microsoft patents by Brian Jones

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For fun we just did a quick search of published US patent applications
    | with "Brian Jones" as an author, and "Microsoft" as the assignee.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Some of these, like the packing ones, seem to apply directly to OOXML. What
    | isn't clear to us is why Microsoft would pursue patent protection for patents
    | rights that their are promising that they won't assert over users of OOXML. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-35323...by-brian-jones

    Wishful Spinning

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OOXML gets adopted. More and more projects are started. Let's see which of
    | these would survive without funding. Meanwhile a spin factory sends out
    | success stories that most bloggers find worthless to discuss. It is possible
    | to get the Krauts on board that are supposed to review OOXML but would OOXML
    | survive a review by the crowds? ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-35292/wishful-spinning

    Digging in the Comments: Patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Patent licensing is probably the most important aspect for all third parties
    | that want to implement or use the Open XML specification. Unfortunately the
    | Ballot Resolution Meeting cannot discuss these aspects because only technical
    | and editorial issues would get resolved. ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | When you have a patent which covers Open XML and you refuse to license it,
    | the standard process gets stalled. Large companies in the standardization
    | process are reluctant to use that nuke option. Given the ambush that the
    | software patent practice means today it is quite possible that Open XML
    | infringes a patent and all parties eventually have an obligation to license
    | it. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-31491...mments:patents

    Patent threat looms large over OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "If OOXML goes through as an ISO standard, the IT industry, government and
    | business will encumbered with a 6000-page specification peppered with
    | potential patent liabilities" said NZOSS President Don Christie. ¬*
    |
    | "Patent threats have already been used to spread doubt amongst organisations
    | keen to take advantage of the benefits of open source. No one knows whether
    | such claims have any merit, but it is calculated to deter the development and
    | use of open and alternative toolsets." ¬*
    `----

    http://nzoss.org.nz/node/179

    Cyberlaw OOXML Seminar 14 December

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, this raises the issue - what assurance does a developer have that
    | such a large specification is not the subject of third party patent claims? ¬*
    | ¬* ¬* ¬* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | The pedigree of the specification is certainly no reason for hope, Microsoft
    | has been the target of third party patent claims for some time now including
    | some high profile losses in patent suits. The fact that the specification has
    | been developed behind closed doors and on a fast track means that there has
    | been no adequate opportunity to evaluate the likelihood of third party patent
    | claims against the specifications. The sheer size of the document suggests
    | there will be at least a couple hiding in there somewhere. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/20...r-14-december/

    ISO warned about possible patent violations of DIS29500 (aka OOXML)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have just send the following email to ISO members (you can find some of
    | their email addresses on the INCTIS website) to warn them about the possible ¬*
    | patent ambush...
    `----

    http://jeremywang67.blogspot.com/200...le-patent.html

    EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
    | gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors. ¬*When
    | antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
    | challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
    | statements promising to "cooperate fully." ¬* ¬*
    |
    | But at the same time, Microsoft is still a tough competitor. ¬*As Microsoft's
    | Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow famously warned at his blog
    | last year: ¬*
    |
    | ¬* ¬* Make no mistake; all parties are looking at the full picture to find
    | ¬* ¬* strategies that will result in the outcome they desire. Provided - of
    | ¬* ¬* course - that they do so within the context of the rules that apply to
    | ¬* ¬* the process, this is exactly what one should expect to happen. It is
    | ¬* ¬* going to be a very interesting next few months. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | Indeed, the months that followed proved to be interesting indeed. ¬*Microsoft
    | said that some of its employees became over zealous, most flagrantly in
    | Sweden, where marketing assists were promised to several business partners as
    | incentives to join the national standards committee and vote for OOXM. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80208082501776

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. ¬*
    `----

  2. Re: [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About LegalTrap

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    [...]
    > | Denmark: No

    Really?

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9375179,00.htm
    (Denmark changes OOXML vote to 'yes')

    "According to a Friday statement on the website of Danish Standards (the
    Danish equivalent of the British Standards Institution, or BSI), the
    country's previous vote of "disapproval with comments" on the original
    draft of the OOXML standard has now been changed to a vote of
    "approval".

    The statement goes on to say that Danish Standards is changing its vote
    because "the 168 Danish comments have been adopted as changes to ISO/IEC
    DIS 29500 OOXML"."

    In other news:

    http://www.news.com/U.K.-may-make-la...3-6235822.html

    "A technical group formed to make a recommendation to the BSI's policy
    panel has voted five-to-one in favor of OOXML being accepted as an
    international standard, a source close to the process has told
    ZDNet.co.uk. There was intense lobbying by interested parties before a
    meeting on Tuesday, in which IBM was apparently the one remaining
    dissident. "

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  3. Re: [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About Legal Trap

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:39:51 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > [...]
    >>| Denmark: No

    > Really?
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9375179,00.htm
    > (Denmark changes OOXML vote to 'yes')
    >
    > "According to a Friday statement on the website of Danish Standards (the
    > Danish equivalent of the British Standards Institution, or BSI), the
    > country's previous vote of "disapproval with comments" on the original
    > draft of the OOXML standard has now been changed to a vote of
    > "approval".
    >
    > The statement goes on to say that Danish Standards is changing its vote
    > because "the 168 Danish comments have been adopted as changes to ISO/IEC
    > DIS 29500 OOXML"."
    >
    > In other news:
    >
    > http://www.news.com/U.K.-may-make-la...3-6235822.html
    >
    > "A technical group formed to make a recommendation to the BSI's policy
    > panel has voted five-to-one in favor of OOXML being accepted as an
    > international standard, a source close to the process has told
    > ZDNet.co.uk. There was intense lobbying by interested parties before a
    > meeting on Tuesday, in which IBM was apparently the one remaining
    > dissident. "
    >
    > regards,
    > alexander.

    Roy Schestowitz is not one to let facts get in the way of his paranoid SPAM
    floods.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About LegalTrap

    South Korea (also P-Member previously voted "no with comments") now
    approves DIS 29500 according to

    http://osrin.net/2008/03/28/south-ko...oiec-dis29500/

    -------
    South Korea votes "APPROVE" for ISO/IEC DIS29500

    Posted on March 28, 2008

    Filed Under Standards |

    My colleague Good Hyun in South Korea has posted a story from Koreaís
    Electronic Times who are reporting that KATS have voted to APPROVE
    DIS29500.

    His english translation of the text of the story reads;

    Korean Agency for Technology and Standards (KATS) positioned to be
    supportive

    Korean Agency for Technology and Standards announced its final decision
    on Microsoft OpenXML ďinternational standardĒ voting. KATS, who has the
    representative voting right in Korea, is to vote for OpenXML, on the
    closing day of voting.

    ďOur committee agreed to support OOXML from the vote on March 27th.
    Among 13 committee members 9 agreed and 4 objected. As ECMA accepted and
    documented most our requirement, that highly affected this decision.Ē
    said source from KATS.

    This is a fantastic outcome from an extremely well respected standards
    body here in the Asia Pacific geography.

    Here is a link back to Good Hyunís post.

    -------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  5. Re: [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About LegalTrap

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > South Korea (also P-Member previously voted "no with comments") now
    > approves DIS 29500 according to
    >
    > http://osrin.net/2008/03/28/south-ko...oiec-dis29500/

    Same as Czech Republic, BTW.

    http://www.internetnews.com/governme...ill+Others.htm

    ------
    Czechs Support OOXML - Will Others?

    Clock is ticking on ISO standards vote and Microsoft is counting.

    March 27, 2008

    By Stuart J. Johnston: More stories by this author:

    Chalk up another one for Microsoft. Four more to go.

    The Czech Republic's delegation to the International Organization for
    Standardization (ISO) has decided to reverse its vote from September and
    will instead vote to approve Microsoft's Office Open XML (OOXML) as a
    standard.

    Now, all that Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) the and European standards group
    Ecma International have left to do is garner four more national
    delegations to change their votes from "Disapprove" to "Approve." The
    deadline for that is this weekend.

    [...]
    ------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  6. Re: [News] OOXML Seen Winning Approval

    Note that Finland now approves DIS 29500 as well.

    http://www.tietokone.fi/uutta/uutinen.asp?news_id=33283

    Feeding "Suomi kannattaa Microsoftin Office-formaattia" to

    http://www.sunda.fi/eng/online_demo.html

    yields "Finland supports the Office format of Microsoft".

    And according to

    http://iso-vote.com/
    (simply toggle votes for Finland, Denmark, South Korea, and Czech
    Republic)

    it is enough if UK flips as well (as indicated by recent BSI's
    recommendation/vote) for DIS 29500 to become approved standard.

    So much about "Still Seen Losing"... oh poor Roy.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  7. Re: [News] OOXML Seen Winning Approval

    Norway has changed its vote from "no" to "yes" as well.

    http://www.idg.no/computerworld/article92563.ece

    "Microsoft vinner - Norge anbefaler OOXML"

    Hey Roy, "Microsoft vinner", says Norway. Oh poor Roy.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  8. Re: [News] OOXML Seen Winning Approval

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:30:21 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > Norway has changed its vote from "no" to "yes" as well.
    >
    > http://www.idg.no/computerworld/article92563.ece
    >
    > "Microsoft vinner - Norge anbefaler OOXML"
    >
    > Hey Roy, "Microsoft vinner", says Norway. Oh poor Roy.
    >
    > regards,
    > alexander.

    Get ready for Roy Schestowitz to turn up the oscillators on his tinfoil
    suit to overdrive!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] OOXML Seen Winning Approval

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:32:30 -0400
    <1ul35o6gkl9tf.1o4c0y3k2xyfn$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:30:21 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >
    >> Norway has changed its vote from "no" to "yes" as well.
    >>
    >> http://www.idg.no/computerworld/article92563.ece
    >>
    >> "Microsoft vinner - Norge anbefaler OOXML"
    >>
    >> Hey Roy, "Microsoft vinner", says Norway. Oh poor Roy.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> alexander.

    > Get ready for Roy Schestowitz to turn up the oscillators
    > on his tinfoil suit to overdrive!

    I wouldn't worry about it. OOXML, like Windows itself,
    is already a standard -- a de facto one, to be sure,
    but a standard nonetheless.

    Presumably, development of OOXML readers for OpenOffice
    is already well underway, if not already completed (a
    Google therefor, however, showed nothing conclusive).
    If OO can read Word format, OOXML shouldn't be that much
    of a challenge, although any implementation reading it
    might be a little more fragile than an implementation
    reading ODF.

    But never mind that. OOXML will most likely be
    far more popular.

    I'd wish otherwise, admittedly.

    As for what Roy does in his spare time -- that's up to him.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  10. Re: [News] OOXML Still Seen Losing, Microsoft Lies Again About Legal Trap

  11. Re: [News] OOXML Seen Winning Approval

  12. Hey Roy, relax a bit! Microsoft Lost Kenya.

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...rom-ooxml.html

    "Kenya abstains from OOXML vote

    By Rebecca Wanjiku , IDG News Service , 03/28/2008

    After days of heated debate, Kenya has decided to abstain from the
    International Organization for Standardization's (ISO) vote on OOXML.

    A committee meeting held at the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) on
    Thursday decided that Kenya should abstain from the paper ballot
    process, due to close Saturday. Microsoft and IBM had top
    representatives in the meeting.

    Read the latest WhitePaper - HP StorageWorks EVA4400 Product Demo

    The debate over whether Kenya should approve, reject or abstain from
    voting on OOXML has been going on for several months in mailing lists
    and blogs. Skunkworks, a forum for Kenyan techies, took the lead in the
    discussions.

    Dorcas Muthoni, an expert on open-source software, had issues with the
    composition of the technical committee hosted by KEBS to review the MS
    OOXML standard.

    Want to compare storage products? Visit the IT Buyer's Guides now.

    "The committee was inappropriately constituted and highly imbalanced.
    Microsoft recommended business partners to this committee, and the first
    vote returned a yes resolution because of this imbalance. On March 19,
    2008, the committee passed an 'abstain' resolution, which Microsoft is
    now strongly appealing against," she said. "

    She said. LOL.

    "During the final meeting on Thursday, Louis Otieno, Microsoft East
    Africa CEO, was present to push for a yes. IBM also sent representatives
    to the 12-member committee.

    The OOXML standard is defined in more than 6,000 pages, and it has been
    on a fast-track process, Muthoni noted. It is hardly possible to review
    the standard comprehensively, she said. Her proposal was that this
    standard should be reviewed through the regular standards process.

    Josiah Mugambi, a technology expert in Nairobi, said the case for not
    adopting OOXML remains simple: It is not as open as it is made out to be
    by the main proponents of the file format.

    "If this standard is to be truly open, it needs to be
    vendor-independent," Mugambi said.

    Ngigi Waithaka, an electronics engineer and chief technology officer of
    Nairobi systems integration firm Alliance Technologies, takes issue with
    the composition of the voting entities and wonders "how 15 firms chosen
    by 'someone' become good representatives of the Kenyan community."

    "Kenyans do not have to pay 30,000 shillings (US$470) just to be able to
    view our own documents. Itís absurd. I am glad the people are realizing
    that we need to come of the shackles that have been imposed," Waithaka
    added.

    Want to compare storage products? Visit the IT Buyer's Guides now.

    The IDG News Service is a Network World affiliate. "

    ROFL

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  13. Hey Roy, relax a bit more! Microsoft Lost Venezuela.

    http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml...yes-to-no.html

    ("About Avi" "Avi Alkalay is an Open Standards, Open Source
    and Linux advisor at IBM Brazil.")

    -----
    Por Avi

    Publicado: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:36:46 -0300

    Atualizado: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:05:32 -0300

    Publicado: 28 Mar 2008

    Publicado: 6:36 pm

    Atualizado: 8:05 pm

    Categorias: OpenDocument Format

    Tags: lang:en techk

    Check it out:

    ,
    |ďNorma AriasĒ , ď***FONDONORMA***Ē
    |
    |Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:04:26 -0430
    |Subject: Modification to the vote on DIS 29500 - Venezuela (FONDONORMA)
    |Toshiko Kimura
    |Secretary ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34
    |
    |Att.: Mr. Keith Brannon, Mr. Maho Takahashi, Ms. Martine Gaillen
    |
    |Dear Mr. Kimura,
    |
    |Attached please find a letter from Mrs. MarŪa Teresa Saccucci,
    |Standardization Manager of FONDONORMA (Venezuela) through which
    |Venezuela wishes to modify its position on DIS 29500, Information
    |technology - Office Open XML file formats from ďApproval with commentsĒ
    |to ďDisapproval with commentsĒ.
    |
    |Best regards,
    |
    |Leonardo Di Bartolo
    |Coordinator of International Relations
    |FONDONORMA
    |Venezuela

    This NO was a result of a very difficult meeting. Consensus was not
    reached and a lot of confusion happened. Exactly as in the first
    brazilian NO.

    The NB had to decide the final vote based on technical issues still open
    in OOXML. The problem was the method of deciding and those technical
    points were not presented. So people only had in their head the
    Microsoft arguments that I already knew were part half trues and part
    complete lies.

    I participated in the OOXML process in 3 countries and I was able to
    build an opinion on how normalization happens today in the world, and
    Iíll show some ideas in a future post.

    By the way, this is how Caracas looks like, a city surrounded by huge
    green mountains that have behind them the Caribbean Sea.

    -----

    ROFL

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  14. DIS 29500 -- Last Minute Vote Switching

    [... http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml...yes-to-no.html ...]

    > ("About Avi" "Avi Alkalay is an Open Standards, Open Source
    > and Linux advisor at IBM Brazil.")

    [...]

    > I participated in the OOXML process in 3 countries and I was able to

    That must be Venezuela, Cuba ("ISO Miscounted Cuban OOXML Vote"), and
    perhaps Kenya. :-)

    Seriously, IBM won:

    1. Cuba (O-Member, not P, Yes -> No)
    2. Kenya (Yes -> Abstain)
    3. Venezuela (Yes -> No)

    Microsoft won:

    1. Czech Republic (now Yes)
    2. Denmark (now Yes)
    3. Finland (now Yes)
    4. Norway (now Yes)
    5. South Korea (now Yes)

    (Brits are too close to call.)

    And according to

    http://iso-vote.com/

    in addition to UK, Microsoft needs one more switched vote to win
    approval.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  15. Re: Hey Roy, relax a bit! Microsoft Lost Kenya.

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:17:54 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> [...]
    > adopting OOXML remains simple: It is not as open as it is made out to be
    > by the main proponents of the file format.
    >
    > "If this standard is to be truly open, it needs to be
    > vendor-independent," Mugambi said.
    >
    > Ngigi Waithaka, an electronics engineer and chief technology officer of
    > Nairobi systems integration firm Alliance Technologies, takes issue with
    > the composition of the voting entities and wonders "how 15 firms chosen
    > by 'someone' become good representatives of the Kenyan community."
    >
    > "Kenyans do not have to pay 30,000 shillings (US$470) just to be able to
    > view our own documents. Itís absurd. I am glad the people are realizing
    > that we need to come of the shackles that have been imposed," Waithaka
    > added.
    >
    > Want to compare storage products? Visit the IT Buyer's Guides now.
    >
    > The IDG News Service is a Network World affiliate. "

    Poor Roy Schestowitz.
    His tinfoil suit must be rattling up a storm today!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: DIS 29500 -- Last Minute Vote Switching

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:07:43 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > [... http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml...yes-to-no.html ...]
    >

    >> ("About Avi" "Avi Alkalay is an Open Standards, Open Source
    >> and Linux advisor at IBM Brazil.")

    > [...]
    >
    >> I participated in the OOXML process in 3 countries and I was able to

    > That must be Venezuela, Cuba ("ISO Miscounted Cuban OOXML Vote"), and
    > perhaps Kenya. :-)

    Personally I'm not that concerned with market share, but as free
    entertainment goes this MS/ISO circus is hard to beat.

    > Seriously, IBM won:
    >
    > 1. Cuba (O-Member, not P, Yes -> No)
    > 2. Kenya (Yes -> Abstain)

    Does "Abstain" still count as a "Yes" vote, or did they change that
    rule after it was revealed that nobody was being told about it?

    > 3. Venezuela (Yes -> No)
    >
    > Microsoft won:
    >
    > 1. Czech Republic (now Yes)
    > 2. Denmark (now Yes)
    > 3. Finland (now Yes)
    > 4. Norway (now Yes)
    > 5. South Korea (now Yes)
    >
    > (Brits are too close to call.)
    >
    > And according to
    >
    > http://iso-vote.com/
    >
    > in addition to UK, Microsoft needs one more switched vote to win
    > approval.

    Given their OS monopoly, their bottomless warchest, and their ruthless
    lack of ethics, it's inevitable that MS will eventually get their
    standard. However, even if OOXML passes this time around, MS still won't
    have won anything until the EU Commission is finished investigating
    possible legal and ethical violations by MS in some of the European
    votes and finds them innocent. If instead MS is found to have been
    naughty - and past EUC fines plus the ISO voting scandals we've been
    hearing about make that seem very possible - then the remedy would
    likely include some sort of nullification of the vote or at least a
    requirement that certain countries get a chance to vote over. The
    possibility of such an outcome leaves the validity of any OOXML standard
    in doubt and puts MS back to square one with respect to the ODF
    standard.

    While that's all happening in Ring One of this circus, Ring Two will, I
    believe, feature a lot of pissed-off ISO voters who realized only after
    the vote that the wool had been pulled over their eyes. Based on the
    juicy scandals we've been treated to so far, I'm guessing that the next
    few weeks are going to bring lots more good stuff about Microsoft's
    abuses.

    In Ring Three will be the ISO itself. Its credibility as a standards
    organization is already starting to look a little ratty after all the
    scandals. It won't take many more of those to put the ISO in the
    position of either seeing its credibility destroyed even as its
    membership deserts en masse, or finding a way to revoke the OOXML
    standard after it's already been accepted. MS and their horde of lawyers
    will go all out to keep the standard, IBM and all those pissed-off ISO
    voters will be fighting tooth-and-claw to have it nullified.

    And of course in the COLA ring, the Wintrolls and the Linux fans will
    continue to battle over every turn of events as if their lives depended
    on the outcome...

  17. Re: DIS 29500 -- Last Minute Vote Switching

    ____/ El Tux on Saturday 29 March 2008 23:41 : \____

    >> in addition to UK, Microsoft needs one more switched vote to win
    >> approval.

    Antitrust rules, EC and the WTO will kick in. The story is /far/ /far/ from
    over. BTW, what's with the subject line you stick my name in? I'm a very calm
    person. I don't take this emotionally. I just pass on information from those
    who try to inform and tell their story (TC attendants).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the
    public good."
    --Adam Smith

  18. Re: Hey Roy, relax a bit! Microsoft Lost Kenya.

+ Reply to Thread