Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime .. - Linux ; "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect OS platform for around 13,000 websites" "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris ...

  1. Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    OS platform for around 13,000 websites"

    "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    every week"

    http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

  2. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:18:43 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    > statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    > OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >
    > "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    > also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    > every week"
    >
    > http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    They can do all that but yet when sites show Linux at 0.6 percent of
    desktop market share they, the Linux loons, claim the browser string is
    being manipulated somehow.

    A classic example of:

    Linux can't be measured: Used when the numbers show Linux in poor standing.

    Linux CAN be measured: Used when the numbers show Linux in good standing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    * Doug Mentohl peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    > statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    > OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >
    > "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    > also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    > every week"
    >
    > http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    Amount of monitored websites by detected OS

    Amount %

    Linux 7295 60.3%
    Windows 2052 17.0%
    FreeBSD 860 7.1%
    Minix 774 6.4%
    OpenBSD 421 3.5%
    NetBSD 238 2.0%
    Dig. UNIX 183 1.5%
    Solaris 157 1.3%
    Mac OSX 109 0.9%

    Totals 12089

    Total BSD: 1519 12.57%

    Anyway, the percentages above may be affected by how well each OS hides
    its signature from OS detection procedures.

    Also, their third table doesn't show response times. Dummies.

    --
    No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
    significant number of users want fixed.

  4. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

  5. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    > statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    > OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >
    > "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    > also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    > every week"
    >
    > http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    "Linux was ahead of Windows every week by more than 0.5%."

    A whole half of one percent! Hallelujah!

    Not bad for "incompetent monkeys" huh cola idiots? And this is Windows, the
    operating system that cola lusers claim crashes and BSODs all the time.
    Then the article must be a lie. Which is it, wackos?

    Plus, the NetBSD systems are ahead of Linux about as much as Linux is ahead
    of Windows (ie 0.5% or so).

    Plus, the report is useless unless it breaks out the exact versions of the
    OS.

    Plus, notice how the author bolded the statements about Linux being ahead of
    Windows, rather than bolding the performance leader. Typical Linux luser.

  6. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    On 2008-03-28 16:18, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    > statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    > OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >
    > "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    > also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    > every week"
    >
    > http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    I have a linux machine with near 300 days uptime, but that is nothing
    I'm proud of, it has an EOL'ed distribution, no more patches avail,
    and a root disk with bad blocks, isolated by reiserfs , I'm not sure
    the machine even will boot again :-/

    So I see long uptime more as a problem and bad administrations, all
    machines I care about has uptimes max 30-40 days.

    Uptimes say not much about quality, it had been better with a common
    crash counter instead of uptime.

    /bb

  7. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    On 2008-03-29 03:48, DFS wrote:
    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    >> statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    >> OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >>
    >> "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    >> also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    >> every week"
    >>
    >> http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    > "Linux was ahead of Windows every week by more than 0.5%."
    >
    > A whole half of one percent! Hallelujah!
    >
    > Not bad for "incompetent monkeys" huh cola idiots? And this is Windows, the
    > operating system that cola lusers claim crashes and BSODs all the time.
    > Then the article must be a lie. Which is it, wackos?
    >
    > Plus, the NetBSD systems are ahead of Linux about as much as Linux is ahead
    > of Windows (ie 0.5% or so).
    >
    > Plus, the report is useless unless it breaks out the exact versions of the
    > OS.
    >
    > Plus, notice how the author bolded the statements about Linux being ahead of
    > Windows, rather than bolding the performance leader. Typical Linux luser.

    Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    /bb

  8. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    birre wrote:

    > Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for attention,
    like a 4 year old brat.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    RonB wrote:

    > birre wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    > Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for attention,
    > like a 4 year old brat.

    Maybe he *is* a 4 year old brat.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    DFS wrote a load of ****, as usual:

    Why don't you find something better to do?

  11. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "By performing heuristic OS detection procedures, we come up with
    > statistics which may be interesting for our community. We could detect
    > OS platform for around 13,000 websites"
    >
    > "It shows NetBSD as a clear leader in uptime. BSD severs and Solaris
    > also in general demonstrate high uptime. Linux was ahead of Windows
    > every week"
    >
    > http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

    Does it say how much memory has leaked on the Windows OS?

  12. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    On Mar 31, 2:25 am, RonB wrote:
    > birre wrote:
    > > Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    > Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for attention,
    > like a 4 year old brat.

    That's pretty much my conclusion, too. I don't think he's a MS
    astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

  13. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    > On Mar 31, 2:25 am, RonB wrote:
    >> birre wrote:
    >> > Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    >> Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for attention,
    >> like a 4 year old brat.

    > That's pretty much my conclusion, too. I don't think he's a MS
    > astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    > independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    > points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    > Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

    Coordinate attacks? WTF are you talking about now?

  14. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    "DFS" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> That's pretty much my conclusion, too. I don't think he's a MS
    >>> astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    >>> independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    >>> points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    >>> Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

    >> Coordinate attacks? WTF are you talking about now?

    > It's their little tiny brains working overtime, imagining they're "under
    > attack from MS asstroturfers and shills."

    Do they really think that is the case? I always assumed it was some
    kind of "in joke"!

    --
    < asuffield> a workstation is anything you can stick on somebodies desk
    and con them into using

  15. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:36:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Coordinate attacks? WTF are you talking about now?

    >> It's their little tiny brains working overtime, imagining they're "under
    >> attack from MS asstroturfers and shills."
    >>

    > Do they really think that is the case? I always assumed it was some
    > kind of "in joke"!

    Yea they do!
    That's the fun part about rabid Linux zealots.

    It's just sooooooo easy to light them up because they think everyone who
    disagrees with them is out to get them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    Hadron wrote:
    > "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    >>> Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for
    >>> attention, like a 4 year old brat.

    >> That's pretty much my conclusion, too. I don't think he's a MS
    >> astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    >> independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    >> points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    >> Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

    > Coordinate attacks? WTF are you talking about now?

    It's their little tiny brains working overtime, imagining they're "under
    attack from MS asstroturfers and shills."

  17. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 2:25 am, RonB wrote:
    >> birre wrote:
    >>> Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even
    >>> exist?

    >> Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for
    >> attention, like a 4 year old brat.

    > That's pretty much my conclusion, too.

    Of course I want attention (or at least to get discussions going). So does
    everyone who posts here.

    > I don't think he's a MS
    > astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    > independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    > points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    > Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

    You're paranoid. Get with Rex for the best medicine to control it.

  18. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > DFS wrote a load of ****, as usual:
    >

    > Why don't you find something better to do?

    Look who's talking.

  19. Re: Linux way ahead of Windows in uptime ..

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    > On Mar 31, 2:25 am, RonB wrote:
    >> birre wrote:
    >> > Why do you spend so much time dissing a thing that nearly not even exist?

    >> Because DFS wouldn't have a life otherwise. He's screaming for attention,
    >> like a 4 year old brat.

    > That's pretty much my conclusion, too. I don't think he's a MS
    > astroturfer. He doesn't nymshift, he sets his own agenda
    > independently from the other trolls, he doesn't follow the MS talking
    > points like the others, he doesn't coordinate his attacks like
    > Moshe=flatfish and Hadron do.

    Well, we don't think he nymshifts... but I tend to think you're right.