[News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland - Linux ; Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland ,----[ Quote ] | Just to remind you, on Thursday’s meeting 12 members voted for OOXML, 10 | members voted against it and 2 abstained from voting. As the consensus has | not ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just to remind you, on Thursday’s meeting 12 members voted for OOXML, 10
    | members voted against it and 2 abstained from voting. As the consensus has
    | not been achieved, Andrukiewicz decided that the voting should continue by
    | e-mail and all the missing members should be allowed to vote. What she did
    | not mention is that if the missing members fail to send her an e-mail with
    | their stance, it will be automatically assumed they vote yes. This is one of
    | the crazy rules of PKN process of opinioning new ISO standards.
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/

    Polish chairwoman distributes Microsoft propaganda

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Chairwoman of the polish Technical Committee has distributed
    | documentation about the BRM authored by Microsoft. She has also changed the
    | voting rules for the email ballot to "If you don't vote, it is counted as a
    | YES", and she has threatened to sue committee members if they spread
    | accusations. What a nice broken chairwoman they have in Poland.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49455...oft-propaganda

    Perhaps Microsoft paid handsomely? The EU Commission is already investigating
    Microsoft/Poland for this abuse. Expect fines, just as Microsoft approaches
    debt.

    Related:

    "Abstain from voting"

    | Evil! "Abstain from voting" means no new vote will get submitted, so the
    | September vote will be carried! In the case of Poland it was an approval vote
    | for the OOOXML standard with comments attached. Yes, Poland felt it could
    | support the approval of a standard candidate that got more than 2300 pages of
    | dispositions of comments. And now the logic I fail to get is: if we fail to
    | approve we do nothing and carry the previous approval vote. ISO procudures
    | sometimes feel like a witch test. * * *
    |
    | "Abstain from voting" != submission of an "Abstain" vote.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-48992...in-from-voting

    Poland Fails to Approve OOXML; Chairman Decides Members Can Vote by Email 10
    More Days - huh?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is different. There is a report by Borys Musielak of PolishLinux.org
    | that Poland met to vote on OOXML on Thursday. Of 45 members of the committee
    | eligible to vote, 24 showed up to vote, and it split almost down the middle,
    | with 12 for, 10 against and 2 abstaining. This is extraordinary, since Poland
    | voted yes in September, despite the technical committee being opposed. I call
    | that progress.
    |
    | But here is the worrying part: when it became clear that there was no
    | consensus, and it was not going to be a Yes vote, the chairman "decided to
    | allow the missing members to vote by e-mail during the next 10 days".
    |
    | What to make of a process that keeps reinventing itself as it goes along?
    `----

    No consensus over OOXML in Poland, yet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last Thursday PKN (Polish Normalization Committee) had a meeting on which it
    | was supposed to come up with the decision concerning Polish recommendation
    | for ISO/IEC DIS 29500 (OOXML) proposed standard. The common stance has not
    | been acheived.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Yes, we do know a few more details concerning the process and the type of
    | dirty politics that took place just before and during the meeting, but we are
    | not going to releal it just yet, hoping that the chairman of KT 182 and the
    | PKN itself makes a proper decision in the end (which is to abstain from
    | voting as there has been no consensus about OOXML in KT).
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/no-con...in-poland-yet/

    ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
    OpenDocument Format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
    | cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
    | to improving access to electronic government documents, today
    | applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
    | preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
    | government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
    | national standard.
    |
    | The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
    | interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
    | its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
    | agencies.
    `----

    http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

    Poland against OOXML?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Polish Technical Committee no 171 has just voted 80% against the adoption
    | OOXML as an ISO standard [PL].
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/poland-against-ooxml/

    Polish National Interoperability Framework promotes Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This basically means that Microsoft’s Office Open XML will not be
    | treated as open standard, thus not preferred in Polish e-Government
    | services, making OpenDocument Format the office standard of choice.
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/gnu/polish-na...pen-standards/

    Poland says "Yes, with comments" to OOXML

    http://sciitnews.com/news_4055.html

    Poland votes yes on OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Several protests were sent already to PKN and TC 182 on behalf of: Free and
    | Open Source Foundation, TC 171 members, Google Poland, IBM Poland, but I
    | really doubt they will make the difference in Polish vote among ISO. The
    | whole process was planned to the last minute so that there is not enough time
    | to protest or make any changes. Although it is not as clear situation of
    | vote-buying as in Sweden, it strikes me as something from typical Microsoft
    | lobbying portfolio.
    `----

    http://wanted.eu.org/en/computers/mi...s_yes_on_ooxml

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Just to remind you, on Thursday?s meeting 12 members voted for OOXML, 10
    >| members voted against it and 2 abstained from voting. As the consensus has
    >| not been achieved, Andrukiewicz decided that the voting should continue by
    >| e-mail and all the missing members should be allowed to vote. What she did
    >| not mention is that if the missing members fail to send her an e-mail with
    >| their stance, it will be automatically assumed they vote yes. This is one of
    >| the crazy rules of PKN process of opinioning new ISO standards.
    > `----
    >
    > http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/

    Wow - that's total corruption.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 12:38 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Just to remind you, on Thursday?s meeting 12 members voted for OOXML, 10
    >>| members voted against it and 2 abstained from voting. As the consensus has
    >>| not been achieved, Andrukiewicz decided that the voting should continue by
    >>| e-mail and all the missing members should be allowed to vote. What she did
    >>| not mention is that if the missing members fail to send her an e-mail with
    >>| their stance, it will be automatically assumed they vote yes. This is one
    >>| of the crazy rules of PKN process of opinioning new ISO standards.
    >> `----

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/

    > Wow - that's total corruption.

    And they eventually votes "Yes". Now confirmed. The EU is already investigating
    this incident, among others. Tell Microsoft to borrow more than 20 billion
    dollars for Yahoo.... they'll need to pay some heavy fines also... and see
    their business in Europe grinding to a halt. Not embargo, but procurement
    intervention. The world needn't do business with criminal because there's
    already Free software. Oh, and it's much better anyway.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
    Mem: 515500k total, 445452k used, 70048k free, 2596k buffers

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 12:38 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/
    >>
    >> Wow - that's total corruption.

    > And they eventually votes "Yes". Now confirmed. The EU is already investigating
    > this incident, among others. Tell Microsoft to borrow more than 20 billion
    > dollars for Yahoo.... they'll need to pay some heavy fines also... and see
    > their business in Europe grinding to a halt. Not embargo, but procurement
    > intervention. The world needn't do business with criminal because there's
    > already Free software. Oh, and it's much better anyway.

    I would think that those whose votes were against and/or abstained will
    now be furious at having been misrepresented by Microsoft on the global
    stage. I can't see this doing a great deal of good for Microsoft's
    standing either in Poland or in Geneva.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 19:04 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 12:38 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/

    >>> Wow - that's total corruption.

    >> And they eventually votes "Yes". Now confirmed. The EU is already
    >> investigating this incident, among others. Tell Microsoft to borrow more
    >> than 20 billion dollars for Yahoo.... they'll need to pay some heavy fines
    >> also... and see their business in Europe grinding to a halt. Not embargo,
    >> but procurement intervention. The world needn't do business with criminal
    >> because there's already Free software. Oh, and it's much better anyway.
    >>

    > I would think that those whose votes were against and/or abstained will
    > now be furious at having been misrepresented by Microsoft on the global
    > stage. I can't see this doing a great deal of good for Microsoft's
    > standing either in Poland or in Geneva.

    Or in Brussels. The latest corruptions I'll post about in a minutes. It's
    infuriating and there is no way in this world Microsoft won't get severely
    punished for it.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 362148k used, 1147920k free, 49328k cached

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Shill Seemingly Planted for OOXML in Poland

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 19:04 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 12:38 : \____

    > http://polishlinux.org/poland/possib...ess-in-poland/

    >>> And they eventually votes "Yes". Now confirmed. The EU is already
    >>> investigating this incident, among others. Tell Microsoft to borrow more
    >>> than 20 billion dollars for Yahoo.... they'll need to pay some heavy fines
    >>> also... and see their business in Europe grinding to a halt. Not embargo,
    >>> but procurement intervention. The world needn't do business with criminal
    >>> because there's already Free software. Oh, and it's much better anyway.
    >>>

    >> I would think that those whose votes were against and/or abstained will
    >> now be furious at having been misrepresented by Microsoft on the global
    >> stage. I can't see this doing a great deal of good for Microsoft's
    >> standing either in Poland or in Geneva.

    > Or in Brussels. The latest corruptions I'll post about in a minutes. It's
    > infuriating and there is no way in this world Microsoft won't get severely
    > punished for it.

    We just need to keep highlighting corruption in order to stop it.
    Oddly, I was watching an old "Professionals" episode yesterday (thanks
    to mythtv!), which happened to be about corruption in local councils and
    the building trade. Some things remain a constant...

    By the way, "Prisoner" is being shown again, anyone who hasn't seen it
    really should - it's one of the finest television shows ever made.
    Two episodes have gone by; the first one where our hero resigns his
    civil service job and finds himself in the village, and the second one
    where he makes his first major escape attempt.