Strong Growth for Linux Handsets - Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile Linux is well poised to take on the surging smartphone market
| according to a report from the Strategy Analytics Handset Component
| Technologies Service.
`----

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/30153.php

Days ago:

Microsoft, Apple, and the death of the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| So I watched what she was doing. She brought up the browser to check
| web-based mail on gmail.com. She used google.com to search for something for
| our kid’s classwork. She went to cartoonnetwork.com and webkins.com to play
| games with the kids. And so forth. Notice a pattern here? Everything was in
| the browser. It was the browser that was slow, not the computer. In her
| mind, the browser was the computer. * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=555

Related:

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.
`----

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...red_roots.html