Posting from an XO laptop - Linux

This is a discussion on Posting from an XO laptop - Linux ; I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look like a toy, but this ...

  1. Posting from an XO laptop

    I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    and then I will post my impressions.

    Later

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  2. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    > in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    > girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    > like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    > The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    > really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    > and then I will post my impressions.
    >
    > Later
    >
    > Thad

    I'll be interested to hear about it. How waterproof do you think it is?
    I assume there are hungry kids in wet countries too? Does it have Audio
    where you could leave it sat there in a low power mode acting as an email
    client beeping at incoming? Can one dim the screen when its on? Does it
    have an audio socket even if no built in speaker? Might be a good device
    for a "tour guide" if it can throw speech out of itself into some
    headphones.

    --
    ltd: Fine, go through life just pointing and grunting at
    what you mean. Works for Mac users.

  3. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    On Mar 27, 7:13 pm, tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    > in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    > girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    > like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    > The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    > really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    > and then I will post my impressions.
    >
    > Later
    >
    > Thad
    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

    I've heard about the keyboard. I haven't used a membrane keyboard
    since my old Atari 400 (which had a membrane keyboard). It was okay,
    but it made me want an Atari 800 even more.

  4. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    Darth Chaos writes:

    > On Mar 27, 7:13 pm, tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    >> in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    >> girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    >> like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    >> The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    >> really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    >> and then I will post my impressions.
    >>
    >> Later
    >>
    >> Thad
    >> --
    >> Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    >> all the ingredients on the label.

    > I've heard about the keyboard. I haven't used a membrane keyboard
    > since my old Atari 400 (which had a membrane keyboard). It was okay,
    > but it made me want an Atari 800 even more.

    Yeah. They were the days. Who can ever forget playing Star Raiders or
    Ball Blazer on an Atari. God but they were great machines. Its hard to
    believe it looks so rubbish now! It seemed earth shatteringly beautiful
    back then. I remember that LucasFilm logo as clear as day as shown here
    in the opening of Rescue on Fractalus!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZ-chrOgGg

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  5. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:38:31 -0700 (PDT), Darth Chaos wrote:

    > On Mar 27, 7:13 pm, tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    >> in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    >> girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    >> like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    >> The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    >> really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    >> and then I will post my impressions.
    >>
    >> Later
    >>
    >> Thad
    >> --
    >> Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    >> all the ingredients on the label.

    > I've heard about the keyboard. I haven't used a membrane keyboard
    > since my old Atari 400 (which had a membrane keyboard). It was okay,
    > but it made me want an Atari 800 even more.

    I had one of those.
    I too wanted the Atari 800 as well but I ended up buying an aftermarket
    "real keyboard" for my Atari 400 instead.

    It looked kind of odd because it rose up higher than the stock one, but it
    worked very well.

    I also bought a Rana DD drive for mine as well.

    Great little machine for the time.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    In article ,
    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    > in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    > girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    > like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    > The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    > really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    > and then I will post my impressions.

    It would be interesting to see what it is like for kernel development.
    Letting the kids do kernel hacking was one of the state goals of the
    project.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Thursday 27 March 2008 23:13 : \____

    > I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    > in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    > girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    > like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    > The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    > really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    > and then I will post my impressions.

    Stallman considered using one too.

    It's a shame that Intel, joined by Microsoft, ruined the project. Microsoft
    still strives to hijack it and have children locked in, suffocated by DRM
    and 'addicted' to Windows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "If the operating system is in fact a natural monopoly, then what could be
    better than having an operating system that nobody owns?"
    --James Love

  8. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    wrote in message
    news9mtb5-ba4.ln1@tux.glaci.com...
    > I'm finally back in Wisconsin after wrapping up my consulting contract
    > in Connecticut, and consequently now have a chance to play with the
    > girlfriend's XO laptop (I'm posting this message from it). It my look
    > like a toy, but this really is one impressive little green machine.
    > The keyboard takes a little getting use to, but overall it seems
    > really well built. I plan on playing with it some more this weekend
    > and then I will post my impressions.

    I can only assume that you are counting on no one who reads your posts to
    ever have actually seen one of these things themselves. Otherwise they
    would laugh out loud at your overly kind remarks! The OLPC "XO" is a piece
    of junk with no real use in the real world. It is like a keychain version
    of a Rubik's cube. It functions, but no one would take it seriously.

    How about that finger mouse pad? That's a real treat.

    The keyboard serves only one purpose and that is to make the keyboard on the
    original IBM PC jr look like a highly functional classic design. There is
    no way to type on it. You may as well attach a blackberry.

    It sucks power like a toaster, too. With the wi-fi enabled and back-lit a
    full charge (from a wall adapter, BTW) lasts about 20 minutes. The US
    version doesn't come with the armstrong charger, so I don't know how long it
    takes to juice it back up that way, but the aborigines are going to have to
    learn a lot of short cuts to get anywhere, sort of like text messaging.

  9. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:31:47 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Stallman considered using one too.

    What's he going to do when his beard gets caught in the crank?
    Oh well, looking at him I supposed he could use the exercise.

    > It's a shame that Intel, joined by Microsoft, ruined the project. Microsoft
    > still strives to hijack it and have children locked in, suffocated by DRM
    > and 'addicted' to Windows.

    No, the Linux fools mismanaged the project from the start.
    That's what you get when basement dwellers try and integrate into
    commercialized society.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

  11. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

  12. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    Hadron wrote:

    > I'll be interested to hear about it. How waterproof do you think it is?
    > I assume there are hungry kids in wet countries too? Does it have Audio
    > where you could leave it sat there in a low power mode acting as an email
    > client beeping at incoming? Can one dim the screen when its on? Does it
    > have an audio socket even if no built in speaker? Might be a good device
    > for a "tour guide" if it can throw speech out of itself into some
    > headphones.

    I doubt it is completely waterproof (not going to test that), but the
    sealed keyboard will certainly help reduce the impact of the typical
    beverage spill or sudden cloudburst. It does in fact have some
    decent built in speakers as well as external headphone and mic jacks.
    I've read that there is a monochrome non-backlit mode that works well
    in outdoor light and saves on the battery, but I haven't tried that
    yet. Battery life seems decent (at least four hours) even when
    running in backlight mode with wireless networking on. One nice
    touch; the monitor swivels and can lay down in a tablet like
    configuration (could work well for that tour guide use). The built in
    handle is a nice touch. We are taking it on the road with us this
    weekend, so I'll type up more impressions in a day or two.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  13. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I can only assume that you are counting on no one who reads your posts to
    > ever have actually seen one of these things themselves. Otherwise they
    > would laugh out loud at your overly kind remarks! The OLPC "XO" is a piece
    > of junk with no real use in the real world. It is like a keychain version
    > of a Rubik's cube. It functions, but no one would take it seriously.

    Yet somehow if it had a Microsoft logo on it I suspect you would be
    singing its praises. Get real. I've only got a couple days on this
    thing and it already strikes me as the most solidly built, practical
    sub-notebook class hardware I've ever seen.

    > How about that finger mouse pad? That's a real treat.

    It works better than any other mousepad I've ever worked with,
    definitely better than the HP laptop I am currently posting from.

    > The keyboard serves only one purpose and that is to make the keyboard on the
    > original IBM PC jr look like a highly functional classic design. There is
    > no way to type on it. You may as well attach a blackberry.

    The keyboard is certainly different than a standard PC or laptop
    keyboard, but it is actually much better than the membrane style
    hardware you might take it for at first glance. Under that rubber
    shell are keys with an appropriate sensitivity. The real issue
    for most people will be the size, since it was made for child
    size hands. Still, it is way easier to work with than any PDA
    and very appropriate for this sort of rugged, mini-laptop
    hardware.

    > It sucks power like a toaster, too. With the wi-fi enabled and back-lit a
    > full charge (from a wall adapter, BTW) lasts about 20 minutes. The US
    > version doesn't come with the armstrong charger, so I don't know how long it
    > takes to juice it back up that way, but the aborigines are going to have to
    > learn a lot of short cuts to get anywhere, sort of like text messaging.

    I don't know what you are babbling about here. With backlit screen
    and wireless networking enabled, we are getting at least four hours
    on a fully charged battery (my HP laptop only gets two and half
    hours on its battery under similar circumstances). I'll also note
    that the wireless networking seems to have a lot better range and
    sensitivity than my HP laptop.

    I'm not surprised you feel compelled to trash talk the XO. It is
    playing in a niche that Microsoft is currently not equipped to
    address, thus MS and their defenders have no choice but to denigrate
    it. Whatever. I've had my hands on an XO for a couple of days now
    and can say with authority that you are full of crap. This is
    great little computer. Whatever happens to the OLPC project and its
    larger goals, the XO is now the baseline by which other low-cost,
    rugged, sub-notebooks will be measured.

    Deal with it.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  14. Re: Posting from an XO laptop

    DFS wrote:

    > Laptopmag website was pretty much thrilled with it.
    > http://www.laptopmag.com/news/laptop...xo-laptop.aspx
    >
    > So was the New York Times
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/te...c04&ei=5087%0A

    An interesting review. Most of his complaints were around the
    software, which is certainly different. Fortunately, that is the
    easiest thing to change if the user really wants something more
    traditional.

    > DFS: At $100 it would be impressive, but at $200 with no CD player, no hard
    > drive, a tiny screen and a very slow boot time, it's not my cup of tea.

    It sounds like they have gotten the price under $160 for bulk purchases,
    but with a collapsing dollar and parts manafactured overseas, I'm not
    so sure we can expect it to go much lower any time soon. I'm still
    willing to pay $200 for one of these, and I now wish I had doubled up
    and gotten a second one for myself through the give one get one program
    when I had the chance.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

+ Reply to Thread