Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica .. - Linux ; Linonut writes: > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:42:59 -0400, Linonut wrote: >> >>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo: >>> >>>> Fred Brooks has, but his experiences ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica ..

    Linonut writes:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:42:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You mean like when he said "There is no silver bullet"? Is that what
    >>> you mean?

    >> No, that's not. A "silver bullet" is magic that makes things happen. A
    >> rigid process is not a silver bullet either.

    > Wrong again, Erik. Fred was saying that there is no process, rigid or
    > otherwise, that can eliminate the uncertainties and risks if software
    > development.

    Who cares what "Fred" says? He, like you, knows sweet FA about agile
    development which has been proven, time and time again, to be productive
    in many types of environments.

    > I suspect Fred would say that agile is yet another "silver bullet"
    > technology that actually has limited value.

    I suspect he would too since he knows nothing about it.

    > Say, has Microsoft copyrighted the word "agile" yet?

    Have you copyrighted talking about things you know nothing about?

    --
    "There is no such thing as Intellectual Property"
    Mark Kent

  2. Re: Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica ..

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > On 2 Apr, 18:15, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Donald Knuth .. has never been involved in large scale commercial software development .. Fred Brooks has, but his experiences date from long before the development of modern software methodologies ..

    > What 'large scale commercial software' projects have you worked on
    > that you can pontificate on such matters. Give examples. What awards
    > such as the 'Turing Award' have you received for your contributions to
    > computing. Give examples. Like when I google on 'Erik Funkenbusch' all
    > I get is a defunct Blog, with no comments ..

    And this has what to do with large scale development projects. I find it
    worrying that so many COAL dweebs keep asking for "proof" of basic
    things. I had assumed that nearly everyone here were programmers and
    developers of some kind. Yet it appears that many of you never wrote a
    line of code in your lives.

    --
    "There is no such thing as Intellectual Property"
    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy, BT Global
    COLA Hypocrite

  3. Re: Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:58:28 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:42:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You mean like when he said "There is no silver bullet"? Is that what
    >>> you mean?

    >> No, that's not. A "silver bullet" is magic that makes things happen. A
    >> rigid process is not a silver bullet either.

    > Wrong again, Erik. Fred was saying that there is no process, rigid or
    > otherwise, that can eliminate the uncertainties and risks if software
    > development.

    That's true. But risks can be reduced through process. That's what
    methodologies aim to do.

    > I suspect Fred would say that agile is yet another "silver bullet"
    > technology that actually has limited value.
    >
    > Say, has Microsoft copyrighted the word "agile" yet?

    Why? Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

  4. Re: Open Source security FUD from Arstechnica ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 2 Apr, 18:15, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Donald Knuth .. has never been involved in large scale commercial software development .. Fred Brooks has, but his experiences date from long before the development of modern software methodologies ..

    > What 'large scale commercial software' projects have you worked on
    > that you can pontificate on such matters. Give examples. What awards
    > such as the 'Turing Award' have you received for your contributions to
    > computing. Give examples. Like when I google on 'Erik Funkenbusch' all
    > I get is a defunct Blog, with no comments ..

    None of your business, nor are they material to this discussion.

    You'll note that I'm not asking you for your qualifications either (even
    though I know, simply by the way you talk about things, how little you
    know).

    You don't have to be an expert to know that a book written about mainframe
    development 30 years ago, while containing a great deal of good advice,
    isn't current with modern proficencies.

    You also don't have to be an expert to know that someone who specializes in
    software theory and who has written only one major, medium scale program,
    by himself, isn't an expert in large project management of multiple people.

    This is not to degrade the skill or experience of either of them, they're
    both excellent in their field, but that doesn't make them experts on every
    aspect of software development or modern project management.

    But as i said, you're too stupid to undersand any of that.

  5. Re: question not addressed to you ..

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Serious question - do YOU think Donald Knuth is better qualified to
    >> agile programming techniques than say spike1?
    >>
    >> Of course he isn't.

    > Why do you think that?

    Because he's a Professor Emeritus and about 70 years old. He simply does
    not write large scale industrial code bases - he develops theorems,
    algorithms and Tex ...

    Whereas Spike1 has a CS degree .....

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  6. fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    On 3 Apr, 18:30, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > None of your business, nor are they material to this discussion.

    You're totally bogus fuddie. In other words, you have no such
    experience and therefore anything you ahve to say on the matter is
    both facile and worthless ..

    > they're both excellent in their field, but that doesn't make them experts on every aspect of software development or modern project management.

    So what areas are *YOU* an expert in, provide examples and citations.
    After all, it's not as if we can just take your word for it, is
    it ..
    -------

    "Articles Submitted 0 - Browser"

    http://www.codeproject.com/script/Me....aspx?mid=5331

    "Seahorse Software has been creating fun and addicting games for Palm
    OS"

    http://www.seahorsesoft.com/

  7. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 3 Apr, 18:30, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> None of your business, nor are they material to this discussion.

    > You're totally bogus fuddie. In other words, you have no such
    > experience and therefore anything you ahve to say on the matter is
    > both facile and worthless ..

    I guarantee you I have a hell of a lot more experience than you do.

    >> they're both excellent in their field, but that doesn't make them experts on every aspect of software development or modern project management.

    > So what areas are *YOU* an expert in, provide examples and citations.
    > After all, it's not as if we can just take your word for it, is
    > it ..

    My expertise is not an issue. Unlike Rex, I don't toot my own horn,
    despite the fact I have plenty to toot if I wanted to. You don't have to
    take my word for anything, All I have to do is use common sense, something
    you are woefully lacking.

  8. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an
    incompetent slacker.

  9. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:00:08 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    >> I guarantee you I have a hell of a lot more experience than you do.

    > that's an interesting claim.

    Why? I'm sure just about anyone with any computer programming experience
    has more experience than Duh!g.

  10. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:00:08 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
    >
    >>> I guarantee you I have a hell of a lot more experience than you do.

    >> that's an interesting claim.

    > Why? I'm sure just about anyone with any computer programming experience
    > has more experience than Duh!g.

    Is that "!" a glottal stop?

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

  11. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:42:29 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> that's an interesting claim.

    >> Why? I'm sure just about anyone with any computer programming experience
    >> has more experience than Duh!g.

    > Is that "!" a glottal stop?

    No, it's kind of a combination emphasis and drawn out sound.. kind of like
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhg where you lower the pitch of the u and h
    but put a staccato on the D.

  12. fuddie types Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhg ..

    On 4 Apr, 01:50, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhg ..

    'Solving the GUID parameter problem with SqlDataSource and
    ObjectDataSource controls'

    'Comments: nursing student grants and loans, ford direct federal
    student loans, kids educational toys children, purchase university of
    texas football tickets, current science news articles for kids,
    indiana high school football schedule 2006, learn spanish with dora
    dvd'

    'posted Saturday, June 10, 2006'

    http://funkenbusch.com/default.aspx

  13. Re: fuddie types Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhg ..

    On 2008-04-04, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > On 4 Apr, 01:50, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhg ..

    > 'Solving the GUID parameter problem with SqlDataSource and
    > ObjectDataSource controls'
    >
    > 'Comments: nursing student grants and loans, ford direct federal
    > student loans, kids educational toys children, purchase university of
    > texas football tickets, current science news articles for kids,
    > indiana high school football schedule 2006, learn spanish with dora
    > dvd'
    >
    > 'posted Saturday, June 10, 2006'
    >
    > http://funkenbusch.com/default.aspx

    What's your point? So, he isn't updating his blog. Big deal. The
    article, by the way was actually pretty decent...

    --
    Tom Shelton

  14. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    Life is too short to be taken seriously.
    -- Oscar Wilde

  15. Re: fuddie gives his approval to Donald Knuth and Fred Brooks ..

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:24:46 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:14:07 -0400,
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> that's an interesting claim.

    >> Why? I'm sure just about anyone with any computer programming experience
    >> has more experience than Duh!g.

    > that's simply your own animosity talking.

    Not at all. Well maybe the Duh!g part.

    Duh!g has not demonstrated one iota of understanding of anything relating
    to computer programming. In fact, he's demonstrated the opposite, not even
    understanding basic concepts that a self-taught VB programmer would know
    from 5 minutes of experience.

  16. lets do a contest ..

    On 4 Apr, 18:53, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Duh!g has not demonstrated one iota of understanding of anything relating to computer programming. ..

    Unkile you, I've never claimed to be an expert at anything ..

    Lets do a contest, anyone here ever had their understanding of
    computer programming advanced one iota, from anything fuddie has ever
    said here. Anyone had their mind changed by anything fuddie ever said
    here. Give examples ...

    It's does beg the question as to what the worlds chief software
    architect is doing fudding a Linux group the best part of a decade ..

  17. Re: lets do a contest ..

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 4 Apr, 18:53, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Duh!g has not demonstrated one iota of understanding of anything relating to computer programming. ..

    > Unkile you, I've never claimed to be an expert at anything ..

    So now you're stalking Erik, Doug?
    Take your meds Doug....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  18. Re: lets do a contest ..

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 4 Apr, 18:53, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Duh!g has not demonstrated one iota of understanding of anything relating to computer programming. ..

    > Unkile you, I've never claimed to be an expert at anything ..

    Liar.

    I've never claimed to be an expert at anything, so cut the "unlike you"
    bull****.

    > Lets do a contest, anyone here ever had their understanding of
    > computer programming advanced one iota, from anything fuddie has ever
    > said here. Anyone had their mind changed by anything fuddie ever said
    > here. Give examples ...

    I know this to be a fact, but I doubt anyone will respond.

    > It's does beg the question as to what the worlds chief software
    > architect is doing fudding a Linux group the best part of a decade ..

    What are you talking about?

  19. Re: lets do a contest ..

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:16:49 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> On 4 Apr, 18:53, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Duh!g has not demonstrated one iota of understanding of anything relating to computer programming. ..

    >> Unkile you, I've never claimed to be an expert at anything ..

    > Liar.
    >
    > I've never claimed to be an expert at anything, so cut the "unlike you"
    > bull****.
    >
    >> Lets do a contest, anyone here ever had their understanding of
    >> computer programming advanced one iota, from anything fuddie has ever
    >> said here. Anyone had their mind changed by anything fuddie ever said
    >> here. Give examples ...

    > I know this to be a fact, but I doubt anyone will respond.

    I've never seen it and in fact you have apologized for errors you've made.
    That's more than the loons around here do when they misfire.

    >> It's does beg the question as to what the worlds chief software
    >> architect is doing fudding a Linux group the best part of a decade ..

    > What are you talking about?

    He's hinting at knowing where you work and what your position is.
    Watch out......
    I'm sure you remember the Simon incident.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: lets do a contest ..

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:24:33 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Lets do a contest, anyone here ever had their understanding of
    >>> computer programming advanced one iota, from anything fuddie has ever
    >>> said here. Anyone had their mind changed by anything fuddie ever said
    >>> here. Give examples ...

    >> I know this to be a fact, but I doubt anyone will respond.

    > I've never seen it and in fact you have apologized for errors you've made.
    > That's more than the loons around here do when they misfire.

    I think you need to reread what he wrote.

    >>> It's does beg the question as to what the worlds chief software
    >>> architect is doing fudding a Linux group the best part of a decade ..

    >> What are you talking about?

    > He's hinting at knowing where you work and what your position is.
    > Watch out......
    > I'm sure you remember the Simon incident.

    I guarantee he doesn't. And even if he did, it wouldn't matter.