Photoshop Express now free and online .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Photoshop Express now free and online .. - Linux ; "That's right, a 100 percent free version of Photoshop is now available to anyone with a web browser and an Internet connection" http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nd-online.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    "That's right, a 100 percent free version of Photoshop is now
    available to anyone with a web browser and an Internet connection"

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nd-online.html

  2. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > "That's right, a 100 percent free version of Photoshop is now
    > available to anyone with a web browser and an Internet connection"
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nd-online.html

    That's Gimp in mothballs then

    Most people will go with the big name and the "Idiots guide" books every
    time.

    Most casual image fiddlers will probably only need 10% of what the
    express version gives.

  3. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:37:32 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "That's right, a 100 percent free version of Photoshop is now
    > available to anyone with a web browser and an Internet connection"
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nd-online.html

    Thanks....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Does it qualify as free under Stallman's four freedoms?

    I've tried to register to see the terms and was immediately informed
    that I must install Adobe Flash Player (just to register). That alone
    would make Stallman puke, I'm afraid.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  5. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:11:20 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl writes:
    >
    >> "That's right, a 100 percent free version of Photoshop is now available
    >> to anyone with a web browser and an Internet connection"
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...th-1000-words-

    photoshop-express-now-free-and-online.html

    > That's Gimp in mothballs then

    No, it isn't.

    > Most people will go with the big name and the "Idiots guide" books every
    > time.

    Not necessarily.

    > Most casual image fiddlers will probably only need 10% of what the
    > express version gives.

    Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:09:15 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:11:20 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    >> Most casual image fiddlers will probably only need 10% of what the
    >> express version gives.

    > Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    But they don't.

    They should be able to use Linux as well.

    But they don't.

    They should be able to use Open Office as well, even under Windows.

    But they don't.

    Why is that?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:09:15 -0000, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:11:20 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Most casual image fiddlers will probably only need 10% of what the
    >>> express version gives.

    >> Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    But they wont as Gimp is relatively tricky to use. You missed my
    point. Most users do not need a well featured piece of SW like
    gimp. They might have used it before now, but now there is this? I doubt
    it.

    --
    joshk@influx:/etc/logrotate.d> sh -n *
    apache: line 14: syntax error near unexpected token `}'

  8. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:13:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:09:15 -0000, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:11:20 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Most casual image fiddlers will probably only need 10% of what the
    >>> express version gives.

    >> Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    .... if all they need is 10% of Photops' features, then they shuold be
    able to sue Gimp. Be able to use.

    > But they don't.

    How many Linux users that do graphics editing do not use Gimp/

    > They should be able to use Linux as well.
    >
    > But they don't.

    > They should be able to use Open Office as well, even under Windows.
    >
    > But they don't.

    A lot do.

    > Why is that?

    You know the answers, even if you deny them to yourself and everyone
    else. Network effects. Herd mentality.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:18:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    > But they wont as Gimp is relatively tricky to use. You missed my point.
    > Most users do not need a well featured piece of SW like gimp. They might
    > have used it before now, but now there is this? I doubt it.

    .... and you have to have an Internet connection to use it. Oh, well.

    You have to pay for the advance features....

    Some will pay. Probably a great many will pay. And some Linux users may
    start using it. So what?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    "Rick" stated in post 13uo1q61fllt87b@news.supernews.com
    on 3/27/08 1:44 PM:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:13:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Then they should be able to use Gimp.

    > ... if all they need is 10% of Photops' features, then they shuold be
    >
    > able to sue Gimp. Be able to use.
    >

    >> But they don't.

    > How many Linux users that do graphics editing do not use Gimp/
    >

    >> They should be able to use Linux as well.
    >>
    >> But they don't.

    >> They should be able to use Open Office as well, even under Windows.
    >>
    >> But they don't.

    > A lot do.
    >

    >> Why is that?

    > You know the answers, even if you deny them to yourself and everyone
    > else. Network effects. Herd mentality.

    You use that mantra a lot. Weird how little effort you put forth to support
    it.

    --
    It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
    speech. -- Mark Twain

  11. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Snit writes:

    > "Rick" stated in post 13uo1q61fllt87b@news.supernews.com
    > on 3/27/08 1:44 PM:

    >> ... if all they need is 10% of Photops' features, then they shuold be
    >>
    >> able to sue Gimp. Be able to use.
    >>

    >>> But they don't.

    >> How many Linux users that do graphics editing do not use Gimp/
    >>

    >>> They should be able to use Linux as well.
    >>>
    >>> But they don't.

    >>> They should be able to use Open Office as well, even under Windows.
    >>>
    >>> But they don't.

    >> A lot do.
    >>

    >>> Why is that?

    >> You know the answers, even if you deny them to yourself and everyone
    >> else. Network effects. Herd mentality.

    > You use that mantra a lot. Weird how little effort you put forth to support
    > it.

    But he is using it in his excuse making. Funny!

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  12. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > That's Gimp in mothballs then

    Why? It's geared towards professionals, not casual users - completely
    different crowd.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Pantone 666: The color of the Beast

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  13. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    "Tattoo Vampire" wrote in message
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> That's Gimp in mothballs then

    > Why? It's geared towards professionals, not casual users - completely
    > different crowd.

    You have got to be kidding. Photoshop absolutely OWNZ the professional
    graphics market.

    Get in sync with the other COLA nuts. The official Gimp mantra is that most
    casual users don't need the "professional features" of Photoshop so that's
    why they'll use gimp.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > [tv]
    >
    > ...Pantone 666: The color of the Beast
    >
    > Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  14. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:46:29 +0000, Rick wrote:

    > Some will pay. Probably a great many will pay. And some Linux users may
    > start using it. So what?

    Are you saying that Photoshop Express' lack of a consistent Gnome or
    KDE UI will drive Linux users away? :->

  15. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    "El Tux" stated in post
    13uo9b6gl834r78@news.supernews.com on 3/27/08 3:53 PM:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:46:29 +0000, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> Some will pay. Probably a great many will pay. And some Linux users may
    >> start using it. So what?

    > Are you saying that Photoshop Express' lack of a consistent Gnome or
    > KDE UI will drive Linux users away? :->

    Do you think that a web based app is a integrated into an environment as a
    local app?

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  16. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> That's Gimp in mothballs then

    > Why? It's geared towards professionals, not casual users - completely
    > different crowd.

    Because very few professionals use it. Well, I know of none. Most users
    are like me where they have fairly basic image manipulation needs and
    might well move to this online stuff rather than deal with overhead of
    Gimp.

    FWIW, I think Gimp is a great program "for free".

    --
    ltd: Fine, go through life just pointing and grunting at
    what you mean. Works for Mac users.

  17. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    El Tux writes:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:46:29 +0000, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> Some will pay. Probably a great many will pay. And some Linux users may
    >> start using it. So what?

    > Are you saying that Photoshop Express' lack of a consistent Gnome or
    > KDE UI will drive Linux users away? :->

    What nonsense are you talking? It's an online application. So long as it
    conforms to most general tab and select UI standards for a web app it
    will be ok.

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  18. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:

    >> That's Gimp in mothballs then

    > Why? It's geared towards professionals, not casual users - completely
    > different crowd.

    There's that... and the fact that I'd be waiting all day to upload my
    hi-res scans that often exceed 100MB each (assuming the service even
    supports such large files). Plus I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be
    having my private photographs on a public server, regardless of whatever
    security assurances Adobe makes, especially as these servers will likely
    be Windows based. Even if the forward facing systems are running
    Solaris, the backend will need to run their Windows-oriented software.

    Hmm, I think I'll just stick with working on local files in the Gimp.

    As for Photoshop's supposed "professionalism". Bleah! Over-hyped
    nonsense. It's an image editor ... and? Only brain-dead sheep like
    Rhonda make such a fuss over these supposed "killer apps", as Messiah
    Jobs might say.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:42:24 up 97 days, 21:18, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.17

  19. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > You have got to be kidding. Photoshop absolutely OWNZ the professional
    > graphics market.
    >
    > Get in sync with the other COLA nuts. The official Gimp mantra is that most
    > casual users don't need the "professional features" of Photoshop so that's
    > why they'll use gimp.

    Quit being stupid, although it's probably easy for you since your older
    brother is also your daddy, cretin.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie!"...till you find a rock.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  20. Re: Photoshop Express now free and online ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Because very few professionals use it. Well, I know of none. Most users
    > are like me where they have fairly basic image manipulation needs and
    > might well move to this online stuff rather than deal with overhead of
    > Gimp.
    >
    > FWIW, I think Gimp is a great program "for free".

    Gimp is a good program but the interface absolutely blows.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....He who laughs last thinks slowest.