[News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation - Linux ; The Current State of Open Source Virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | We’ve started by looking back at a decade of Open Source virtualization, and | in this second part of the series we’ll tackle today’s landscape (last | updated in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

  1. [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    The Current State of Open Source Virtualization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We’ve started by looking back at a decade of Open Source virtualization, and
    | in this second part of the series we’ll tackle today’s landscape (last
    | updated in March 2008).
    `----

    http://virtualization.com/guides-how...isation-today/

    Related:

    Looking Back At A Decade of Open Source Virtualization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That’s what some people would have us believe now that the virtualization
    | hype is reaching never before seen heights, and large acquisitions & mergers
    | are starting to become quite common ( Citrix bought Xensource, Novell picked
    | up PlateSpin, Sun acquired innotek, Quest Software snapped up Vizioncore
    | while VMware treated itself to Thinstall, and so on). * *
    |
    | But few people realize or fail to acknowledge that the large majority of
    | virtualization techniques and developments were started as, or remain Open
    | Source projects. *
    `----

    http://virtualization.com/guides-how...irtualisation/
    http://tinyurl.com/2wmtq8

    Virtualization: A feature of the hardware, not the OS?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Even though Xen has been part of (Linux products) for a while, it's really
    | just now getting ready for prime time," Haff said. "VMware is still very much
    | the dominant player in virtualization." *
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6206867.html

    VirtualBox: A Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Overall, VirtualBox is an excellent application for virtualizing your
    | favorite operating systems. I use it to virtually run all of the operating
    | systems that we talk about here on LinuxHow2, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo,
    | and *PCLinuxOS. Virtual machines are a great way to test new operating
    | systems, sandbox an OS, and quickly wipe out and reinstall problem operating
    | systems; it's becoming common to virtual an operating system, because of the
    | speed of use, and because said operating system does not directly interfere
    | with the host OS, if it's infected with viruses (as is often the case with
    | Windows) or you just plain don't need it anymore, it's as simple as one click
    | to delete it off your system for good. * * * *
    `----

    http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Article..._A_Review.html

  2. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is the
    #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.

    Why do you keep lying like this?

    VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players, including
    Microsoft, are Niche players.

  3. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
    :
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is the
    > #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >
    > Why do you keep lying like this?
    >
    > VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players, including
    > Microsoft, are Niche players.

    Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  4. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    "Erik Funkenbusch" wrote in message
    newsqbfsr1z8n7u$.dlg@funkenbusch.com...
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is
    > the
    > #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >
    > Why do you keep lying like this?
    >
    > VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players,
    > including
    > Microsoft, are Niche players.

    So the unemployed dishonest Roy Schestowitz lies again. In other "news" the
    sun will rise in the East and set in the West.

  5. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    news4gtb5-nhq.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
    > :
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is
    >> the
    >> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >>
    >> Why do you keep lying like this?
    >>
    >> VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players,
    >> including
    >> Microsoft, are Niche players.

    > Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

    Certainly "curiosity" because the article cited talks about virtulization
    software and NOT the OS that it runs on.

    To answer the question - "which OS is usually running VMWare?" Unless you
    have proof otherwise I'd have to say MS-Windows. Given the 100's of
    millions of Windows machines in the world (+/- 90%) would make Windows the
    most likely candidate.

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > /dev/signature: Not a text file
    >
    > --

  6. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    > news4gtb5-nhq.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
    >> :
    >>> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is
    >>> the
    >>> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >>>
    >>> Why do you keep lying like this?
    >>>
    >>> VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players,
    >>> including
    >>> Microsoft, are Niche players.

    >> Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

    > Certainly "curiosity" because the article cited talks about virtulization
    > software and NOT the OS that it runs on.
    >
    > To answer the question - "which OS is usually running VMWare?" Unless you
    > have proof otherwise I'd have to say MS-Windows. Given the 100's of
    > millions of Windows machines in the world (+/- 90%) would make Windows the
    > most likely candidate.

    Correct. SW houses all over the world use VMWare so that developers can
    test other Windows versions simultaneously on the same machine.

  7. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:36:25 -0400
    <47ec07dd$0$26079$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    > news4gtb5-nhq.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net...
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
    >> :
    >>> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is
    >>> the
    >>> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >>>
    >>> Why do you keep lying like this?
    >>>
    >>> VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players,
    >>> including
    >>> Microsoft, are Niche players.

    >> Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

    > Certainly "curiosity" because the article cited talks about virtulization
    > software and NOT the OS that it runs on.
    >
    > To answer the question - "which OS is usually running VMWare?" Unless you
    > have proof otherwise I'd have to say MS-Windows. Given the 100's of
    > millions of Windows machines in the world (+/- 90%) would make Windows the
    > most likely candidate.

    95%-99%, I think...and with Vista the virtualization option
    may run afoul of legal issues. This will get interesting.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because vaporware only goes so far.

  8. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    In article ,
    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is the
    > #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >
    > Why do you keep lying like this?
    >
    > VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players, including
    > Microsoft, are Niche players.

    There was even a quote to that effect in Roy's post, but it was down in
    the section where he just pulls in random things from his files, without
    bothering to actually read them:

    ====== BEGIN CUT FROM ROY'S POST =====

    ===== END CUT =====

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 27 March 2008 21:28 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
    > :
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is the
    >> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >>
    >> Why do you keep lying like this?
    >>
    >> VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players, including
    >> Microsoft, are Niche players.

    > Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

    VMware: Linux Is Ideal OS for Virtualization *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is a key part of the success mix for virtualization. That was the
    | message of Mendel Rosenblum, chief scientist and cofounder of VMware.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "We secretly used them [Linux users] as our beta testers," Rosenblum
    | said. "The Linux community helped us to build things up."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "Linux is the perfect fit for virtualization it is a highly customizable
    | operating system," Rosenblum said. "I see this as the place where Linux can
    | dominate and licensing is also more favorable." *
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3693656

    Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

    The VMware house of cards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.venturecake.com/the-vmware-house-of-cards/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
    system."
    --John Warden, lead attorney Microsoft

  10. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:55:20 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> No, Roy. Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization. VMWare is the
    >> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
    >>
    >> Why do you keep lying like this?
    >>
    >> VMWare controls the market. It dominates it. All other players, including
    >> Microsoft, are Niche players.

    > There was even a quote to that effect in Roy's post, but it was down in
    > the section where he just pulls in random things from his files, without
    > bothering to actually read them:
    >
    > ====== BEGIN CUT FROM ROY'S POST =====
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "Even though Xen has been part of (Linux products) for a while, it's
    >| really just now getting ready for prime time," Haff said. "VMware is
    >| still very much the dominant player in virtualization."
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6206867.html
    > ===== END CUT =====

    I have maintained from the start that Roy's postings are automated and I
    believe are actually using some kind of AI to pull certain phrases from his
    database in order to reply.

    When it screws up, and it does quite often, the result is like what you
    posted above or links that have nothing to do with anything etc.

    Here is another of his screwups:

    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Latch_On_To_Linux/#c13878483

    and another one:

    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_8_...ots/#c13857824

    And there are many, many more.

    When I did my experiment trying to reply, just reply with quick one or two
    line posts, I *quickly* reached the conclusion that what he does is not
    humanly possible.

    He cannot manually read, form an opinion, offer references, use that weird
    formatting he uses and do this in the quantity that he usually does and yet
    have any sort of life at the same time.

    What he is doing is pulling from a ****load of RSS feeds, using a parsing
    program to find key words and phrases and then going to a database to
    generate the replies.

    Then he spits the crap out all over the place within minutes of each other.

    This is why you see a constant time variation between his posts and their
    is also a direct correlation between when they appear in COLA as well as
    the other places he spams them.

    His previous activities in alt.internet.search-engines is also a clue to
    his motives.

    Now add in his blogging, maintaining other websites (Groklaw, God help
    them, for example) and his other activities such as writing articles etc.

    I'm sorry but their is no way he is doing all this for free and it is not
    done manually unless there is more than one person doing it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:00:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

    *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.

    The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    many corporations as testing environments.

  12. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:00:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

    > *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    > manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    > version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.
    >
    > The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    > largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    > many corporations as testing environments.

    Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    then *POW* nothing.

    The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

  13. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    Hadron wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:00:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

    >> *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    >> manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    >> version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.
    >>
    >> The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    >> largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    >> many corporations as testing environments.

    > Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    > stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    > to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    > that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    > then *POW* nothing.
    >
    > The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    > video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

    Quark doesn't know what he's doing.... again...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    >>> *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    >>> manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    >>> version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.
    >>>
    >>> The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    >>> largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    >>> many corporations as testing environments.

    >> Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    >> stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    >> to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    >> that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    >> then *POW* nothing.
    >>
    >> The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    >> video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

    > Quark doesn't know what he's doing.... again...

    And surprised there are bugs in a beta version. Who'd a thunk it.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:52:44 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:00:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

    >> *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    >> manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    >> version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.
    >>
    >> The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    >> largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    >> many corporations as testing environments.

    > Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    > stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    > to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    > that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    > then *POW* nothing.
    >
    > The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    > video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

    Could you imagine Windows software working like that?
    Yet the Linux users put up with that kind of slop ware because the product
    is free.
    It's amazing.

    And before the stalwarts start whining, no, not all Linux software is bad
    but a good portion of it is very rough around the edges.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:59:29 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    >>> *SOME* of VMWare's software is built on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't
    >>> manage the OS from linux, you need Windows. What's more, the latest
    >>> version of ESX, Version 3i doesn't include the Linux console OS anymore.
    >>>
    >>> The vast mamority of VMWare licenses are workstation licenses, which is
    >>> largely run on Windows (though there is a Linux version). It's used in
    >>> many corporations as testing environments.

    >> Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    >> stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    >> to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    >> that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    >> then *POW* nothing.
    >>
    >> The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    >> video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

    > Quark doesn't know what he's doing.... again...

    Maybe he was too busy reading the NNTP spec so he could be allowed to post
    to USENET in a Linux group?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:59:29 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Whats more, something was updated recently in Debian Lenny which has
    >>> stopped VMWare working again. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Why do things have
    >>> to be so tightly linked to the Kernel version? I just know its gonna be
    >>> that. All logs empty. Just sits there with mourse cursor spinning and
    >>> then *POW* nothing.
    >>>
    >>> The latest 2.6.24 kernel needs another compilation, with X off, of the
    >>> video driver. Woo hoo. Why is this?!?!?!?

    >> Quark doesn't know what he's doing.... again...

    Maybe the big head Gregory Shearman can explain how when I get a new
    kernel my video "will just work" without having to downlod latest,
    export the CC variable, kill gnome and then recompile and install? I
    have been doing this for ages. But its a pain in the ass.

    > Maybe he was too busy reading the NNTP spec so he could be allowed to post
    > to USENET in a Linux group?

    Shearman really is a ****ing clueless nOOb.

  18. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:05:20 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Quark doesn't know what he's doing.... again...

    > Maybe the big head Gregory Shearman can explain how when I get a new
    > kernel my video "will just work" without having to downlod latest,
    > export the CC variable, kill gnome and then recompile and install? I
    > have been doing this for ages. But its a pain in the ass.
    >>
    >> Maybe he was too busy reading the NNTP spec so he could be allowed to post
    >> to USENET in a Linux group?

    > Shearman really is a ****ing clueless nOOb.

    He's a dying breed of *priests* who used to hide behind the glass window
    and feed IBM punch cards into a reader for the students at the University.

    These people fancy themselves superior because they can us a command line.

    Their skills are far less in demand these days and they are starting to
    become extinct.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

    William Poaster wrote:

    >And surprised there are bugs in a beta version. Who'd a thunk it.

    Don't the Wintrolls think that Vista is "perfect"?

    No, of course they do NOT. NO ONE could POSSIBLY think that ANY OS is
    "perfect". Only a fscking true ASSHOLE and LIAR would claim that
    ANYONE thinks that ANY OS is "perfect".

    Get that, Quack and DumFSck?

  20. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast