[News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!" - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!" - Linux ; Hate America? Use open source! ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat's boss says he's benefiting from America's unpopularity in the rest | of the world `---- http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...en_source.html New smear: "Linux users are anti-America" (not just the old smear with "anti- ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    `----

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...en_source.html

    New smear: "Linux users are anti-America" (not just the old smear
    with "anti-corruption Microsoft"). What's next? Something
    with terrorists and 9/11, a la Enderle FUD?

    What happened to "pro-standards", "or pro-good software", "or pro-choice", "or
    anti-lockin"? Why did Schofield take Whitehurst's words of of context, putting
    this headline in a 'big paper site'? He can do better than he did... and
    should.

    Related:

    "I have a hard time seeing the Zealots as any different from terrorist .. I
    strongly believe that if September 11 showed us anything, it was that
    zealots..."

    -- Rob Enderle, Microsoft 'Consultant'/'Analyst'

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/31899.html

    Microsoft: "...analysts sell out. It's their business model..."

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

  2. Re: [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use opensource!"

    On 27 Mar, 14:12, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > New smear: "Linux users are anti-America" (not just the old smear with "anti-corruption Microsoft"). What's next? Something with terrorists and 9/11, a la Enderle FUD?

    Shoosh, mention the ame and MICROS~1 Jack will appear ..

  3. Re: [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:05:02 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 27 Mar, 14:12, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> New smear: "Linux users are anti-America" (not just the old smear with "anti-corruption Microsoft"). What's next? Something with terrorists and 9/11, a la Enderle FUD?

    > Shoosh, mention the ame and MICROS~1 Jack will appear ..

    Still stalking poor Jack I see, Doug Mentohl....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Useopen source!"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Hate America? Use open source!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Red Hat's boss says he's benefiting from America's unpopularity in the rest
    > | of the world
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...en_source.html
    >
    > New smear: "Linux users are anti-America" (not just the old smear
    > with "anti-corruption Microsoft"). What's next? Something
    > with terrorists and 9/11, a la Enderle FUD?
    >
    > What happened to "pro-standards", "or pro-good software", "or pro-choice", "or
    > anti-lockin"? Why did Schofield take Whitehurst's words of of context, putting
    > this headline in a 'big paper site'? He can do better than he did... and
    > should.

    Red Hat: Open source benefits from U.S. unpopularity
    Paul Krill, InfoWorld03.25.2008
    http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008...s-unpopularity

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a..._nhi=&safe=off

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Useopen source!"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Hate America? Use open source!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Red Hat's boss says he's benefiting from America's unpopularity in the rest
    > | of the world
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...en_source.html
    >
    > New smear: "Linux users are anti-America"

    Unfortunately some America-haters work to harm the American software
    industry by promoting Linux and smearing America in the same breath.

    They want the American software industry alienated from Linux, so as to
    delay Linux adoption in America. They know Linux will eventually be
    dominant worldwide and that America's clinging to Microsoft will be
    detrimental in the long-term to the American software industry and to
    America in general.

    Aside: I don't detect that Roy is an America hater.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:26:14 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > Aside: I don't detect that Roy is an America hater.

    Correct.
    Roy Schestowitz is a nut.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Useopen source!"

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:12:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Hate America? Use open source!

    Proving that the US Army is the America hater in chief?

    Absurd.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Useopen source!"

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:12:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Hate America? Use open source!

    > Proving that the US Army is the America hater in chief?

    IIRC it was that US Navy last week, too. And let's not forget NASA and
    the NSA. For that matter, even the Department of Homeland Security has
    warned against Microsoft's Swiss-Cheese software. These organisations
    are obviously a bunch of Unamerican hippie Commie terrorists, Goddamit!

    > Absurd.

    Quite.

    It's also strange that pro-right wingers like MS Jack should seem
    incapable of distinguishing between America and its politics. I'm sure
    there are many Americans who hate US corporate fascism just as much as I
    do. At what point did speaking out against injustice, or fighting for
    freedom, become denounced as Unamericanism, I wonder? Probably around
    the same time as Congress changed from being representatives of the
    people, to representatives of corrupt bizniz ... exactly the same kind
    of corrupt bizniz that MS Jack enjoys promoting so belligerently.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:04:01 up 97 days, 21:39, 5 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.08

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    ____/ Matt on Thursday 27 March 2008 17:26 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Hate America? Use open source!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Red Hat's boss says he's benefiting from America's unpopularity in the
    >> | rest of the world
    >> `----

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...en_source.html

    >> New smear: "Linux users are anti-America"

    > Unfortunately some America-haters work to harm the American software
    > industry by promoting Linux and smearing America in the same breath.
    >
    > They want the American software industry alienated from Linux, so as to
    > delay Linux adoption in America. They know Linux will eventually be
    > dominant worldwide and that America's clinging to Microsoft will be
    > detrimental in the long-term to the American software industry and to
    > America in general.
    >
    > Aside: I don't detect that Roy is an America hater.

    I have a lot of family there. I don't like the current administration, which
    favours corporate imperialism (weak minds think alike).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
    02:00:01 up 8 days, 14:09, 5 users, load average: 0.86, 1.22, 1.61

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

  11. Re: [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Friday 28 March 2008 00:04 : \____
    >
    >> Robin T Cox wrote:

    >>> Proving that the US Army is the America hater in chief?

    >> IIRC it was that US Navy last week, too. And let's not forget NASA and
    >> the NSA. For that matter, even the Department of Homeland Security has
    >> warned against Microsoft's Swiss-Cheese software. These organisations
    >> are obviously a bunch of Unamerican hippie Commie terrorists, Goddamit!
    >>
    >>> Absurd.

    >> Quite.
    >>
    >> It's also strange that pro-right wingers like MS Jack should seem
    >> incapable of distinguishing between America and its politics. I'm sure
    >> there are many Americans who hate US corporate fascism just as much as I
    >> do. At what point did speaking out against injustice, or fighting for
    >> freedom, become denounced as Unamericanism, I wonder? Probably around
    >> the same time as Congress changed from being representatives of the
    >> people, to representatives of corrupt bizniz ... exactly the same kind
    >> of corrupt bizniz that MS Jack enjoys promoting so belligerently.

    > That damn US Navy. So anti-America... *sigh*
    >
    > Navy to focus only on open systems
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral Mark
    >| Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said. "We will
    >| no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data." *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html
    >
    > Must be a hard time for those who are serves mainly by Microsoft's PR arms...
    >
    > Feeling the heat at Microsoft
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
    >| competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I ask
    >| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *
    >|
    >| Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly have
    >| to go with that.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat...tag=ne.fd.mnbc

    We used to see "why are you being anti-American" every time anyone
    pointed out the flaws in US foreign policy, or the genocide of certain
    American Indian tribes, or the Hollywood-re-written version of history,
    etc. etc. This seems to have more or less stopped now, although
    amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
    surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
    landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
    amounts of sea power. You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)

    Most yanks I know are nothing like that at all, and even the most
    right-wing guy that I know will discuss things, passionately admittedly,
    but he doensn't regard disagreement as being "Anti-American".

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:41 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ [H]omer on Friday 28 March 2008 00:04 : \____

    >>> IIRC it was that US Navy last week, too. And let's not forget NASA and
    >>> the NSA. For that matter, even the Department of Homeland Security has
    >>> warned against Microsoft's Swiss-Cheese software. These organisations
    >>> are obviously a bunch of Unamerican hippie Commie terrorists, Goddamit!

    >>> Quite.
    >>>
    >>> It's also strange that pro-right wingers like MS Jack should seem
    >>> incapable of distinguishing between America and its politics. I'm sure
    >>> there are many Americans who hate US corporate fascism just as much as I
    >>> do. At what point did speaking out against injustice, or fighting for
    >>> freedom, become denounced as Unamericanism, I wonder? Probably around
    >>> the same time as Congress changed from being representatives of the
    >>> people, to representatives of corrupt bizniz ... exactly the same kind
    >>> of corrupt bizniz that MS Jack enjoys promoting so belligerently.

    >> That damn US Navy. So anti-America... *sigh*
    >>
    >> Navy to focus only on open systems
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral
    >>| Mark Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said.
    >>| "We will no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html
    >>
    >> Must be a hard time for those who are serves mainly by Microsoft's PR
    >> arms...
    >>
    >> Feeling the heat at Microsoft
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A couple of years ago you reiterated that IBM was Microsoft's biggest
    >>| competitor and you said not just on the business side, but overall. If I
    >>| ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
    >>|
    >>| Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly
    >>| have to go with that.
    >> `----

    > We used to see "why are you being anti-American" every time anyone
    > pointed out the flaws in US foreign policy, or the genocide of certain
    > American Indian tribes, or the Hollywood-re-written version of history,
    > etc. etc. This seems to have more or less stopped now, although
    > amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
    > surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
    > landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
    > amounts of sea power. You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)
    >
    > Most yanks I know are nothing like that at all, and even the most
    > right-wing guy that I know will discuss things, passionately admittedly,
    > but he doensn't regard disagreement as being "Anti-American".

    I didn't know about the past criticism of US foreign policy (I know about flak
    at present), but I know very well about the genocide of the Indian people and
    the hypocrisy that comes with it all.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
    Cpu(s): 25.1%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.4%id, 4.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Useopen source!"

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
    > surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
    > landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
    > amounts of sea power.

    I didn't know that.

    So by a little simple arithmetic we can see that you Brits saved our
    Yankee asses ... thanks! :-)

    > You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    Matt espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
    >> surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
    >> landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
    >> amounts of sea power.

    > I didn't know that.
    >
    > So by a little simple arithmetic we can see that you Brits saved our
    > Yankee asses ... thanks! :-)

    Well, joking aside, I think that everyone, every single person, who
    stood up to the Nazi threat, did the world a major favour. If you look
    at the numbers, you'll see that the Russians suffered by far the most
    casualties of any of the participants, and you'll also see that the US
    got off relatively lightly compared with eg., Czechoslovakia, which
    proportionately had a terrible time. Still, being injured or dead is a
    rather personal thing, not much affected by what kind of uniform was
    being worn at the time.

    >> You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)

    Hehe... the main proportions were: UK: 40%, Canada 20%, US 40% in
    nice round numbers, for the initial invasion. There was also
    involvement from a great number of other countries, although not in the
    same numbers.

    If you look at the RAF numbers for the Battle of Britain, a great many
    pilots were Anzacs, Canadians, Poles, Czechs, South Africans. There
    were even a couple of yanks in the RAF, presumably those who were not
    happy about the position their government was taking at the time.

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Matt espoused:
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
    >>> surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
    >>> landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
    >>> amounts of sea power.

    >> I didn't know that.
    >>
    >> So by a little simple arithmetic we can see that you Brits saved our
    >> Yankee asses ... thanks! :-)

    > Well, joking aside, I think that everyone, every single person, who
    > stood up to the Nazi threat, did the world a major favour. If you look
    > at the numbers, you'll see that the Russians suffered by far the most
    > casualties of any of the participants, and you'll also see that the US
    > got off relatively lightly compared with eg., Czechoslovakia, which
    > proportionately had a terrible time. Still, being injured or dead is a
    > rather personal thing, not much affected by what kind of uniform was
    > being worn at the time.
    >

    >>> You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)

    > Hehe... the main proportions were: UK: 40%, Canada 20%, US 40% in
    > nice round numbers, for the initial invasion. There was also
    > involvement from a great number of other countries, although not in the
    > same numbers.
    >
    > If you look at the RAF numbers for the Battle of Britain, a great many
    > pilots were Anzacs, Canadians, Poles, Czechs, South Africans. There
    > were even a couple of yanks in the RAF, presumably those who were not
    > happy about the position their government was taking at the time.

    The Americans were in the RAF's Eagle Squadron, 133 squadron RAF.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1...dron_crest.gif

    It's estimated that some 6,700 Americans joined either the Royal Canadian Air
    Force or the RAF.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

    William Poaster espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Matt espoused:

    >>> I didn't know that.
    >>>
    >>> So by a little simple arithmetic we can see that you Brits saved our
    >>> Yankee asses ... thanks! :-)

    >> Well, joking aside, I think that everyone, every single person, who
    >> stood up to the Nazi threat, did the world a major favour. If you look
    >> at the numbers, you'll see that the Russians suffered by far the most
    >> casualties of any of the participants, and you'll also see that the US
    >> got off relatively lightly compared with eg., Czechoslovakia, which
    >> proportionately had a terrible time. Still, being injured or dead is a
    >> rather personal thing, not much affected by what kind of uniform was
    >> being worn at the time.

    >> Hehe... the main proportions were: UK: 40%, Canada 20%, US 40% in
    >> nice round numbers, for the initial invasion. There was also
    >> involvement from a great number of other countries, although not in the
    >> same numbers.
    >>
    >> If you look at the RAF numbers for the Battle of Britain, a great many
    >> pilots were Anzacs, Canadians, Poles, Czechs, South Africans. There
    >> were even a couple of yanks in the RAF, presumably those who were not
    >> happy about the position their government was taking at the time.

    > The Americans were in the RAF's Eagle Squadron, 133 squadron RAF.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1...dron_crest.gif
    >
    > It's estimated that some 6,700 Americans joined either the Royal Canadian Air
    > Force or the RAF.

    Presumably the RCAF was relatively easy to get to, just being North,
    as it were... you really have to take your hat off to the people who
    volunteered to fight in another country's army. There were also huge
    numbers of Irish fighting in the British forces, also rather disappointed
    at the ambiguous position taken by their government.

    Spike Milligan is one of the most fascinating here, born in India to an
    Irish born British Officer, he served in the army in WW2, and was later
    refused British Citzenship in 1960 (incredibly!), so he took an Irish
    passport. Rather like the Gurkhas, it's a terrible indictment of the
    attitudes of HMG.