Vista "hasn't missed a beat" - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista "hasn't missed a beat" - Linux ; * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo: > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:21:03 -0400, Linonut wrote: >> >> You might want to rethink that claim, Erik: >> >> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...rary/l-memmod/ > > For example, depending on how much memory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51

  1. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:21:03 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> You might want to rethink that claim, Erik:
    >>
    >> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...rary/l-memmod/

    > For example, depending on how much memory your video card has in it, it
    > could steal 256, 512, etc.. MB of memory from the address space. This
    > memory is "ghosted" on top fo the real memory and thus doesn't allow access
    > to the real memory.

    Ah, okay.

    I think the largest amount of video memory I've ever had, though, is 64
    Mb (that's on this 64-bit box).

    > "ZONE_HIGHMEM (896 MB and higher): The remaining available memory in the
    > system which is not mapped by the kernel."
    >
    > Notice how it says 896MB and higher. Not 3GB and higher.

    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  2. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >>> If memory prices are that high in Australia, then computer prices in
    >>> general must be proportionately expensive as well, meaning that RAM is
    >>> proportionate to the cost of the PC the same.

    >> You are correct.

    > Which probably goes a long way in explaining *why* Linux seems to be more
    > popular in other countries, rather than the United States. It's a matter of
    > economics.

    I read somewhere that a lot of "overseas" vendors are giving the United
    States customers quite significant cost savings in order to keep the
    United State's business, and so prices here are artificially low for us.

    Not sure if that's true, but I saw it somewhere.

    --
    There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But
    there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.[3]

  3. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    On 2008-03-29, RonB claimed:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-03-28, Linonut claimed:
    >>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I wouldn't use XP on 256Mb, myself. Bleh.

    >> I'm using it on 512MB and it's somewhat usable. It's unbearbale on
    >> 256M, which is why they finally upgraded all 300 laptops to 768M. The
    >> cops were having fits.

    > In my experience, XP needs at least 384 Meg to run worth a crap.

    When the laptops had 256 the machines were almost unusable. It took a
    minute and a half to run up the program they use most right after login
    (compared to now, it's 10 seconds with 768M in them). Plus the OS ate
    itself regularly and often. We'd put one in a car and get it back in a
    few weeks with missing file errors. Now, with 768, they manage to stay
    in use for three or four months before they crap out, usually for the
    same reason.

    Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    and crew running them. A 1.2G laptop with 768M installed, and they
    require replacement and overhaul frequently. But at least they last 4
    times as long as they did with the 256M Ewik claims they should be able
    to use comfortably. And they work much faster. Much, /MUCH/ faster.

    Compare that to the machine I have in the basement: 500MHz, 384M. I
    haven't done /anything/ to that in ages other than ssh into it and tar
    up the usenet spool so it doesn't get too big. It runs 24/7 and it gets
    more use: sends receives mail, runs 3 proxies, does firewalling, runs
    the local usenet service (one of them), controls some backups, provides
    some storage. It reboots itself every 100 days, a problem I haven't
    bothered to try tracking down. But it doesn't lose files or lock up in
    the middle of doing things like the laptops running Crapware Supreme
    do.

    --
    I come from a broken home. I'm the one who broke it.

  4. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> Of course all companies should switch to linux instead. When it comes
    >> to IT labor costs, it's obviously much more time consuming to upgrade
    >> the memory by plugging in two sticks of RAM then it is to install
    >> linux, setup user accounts, configure the desktops and retrain every
    >> user.

    > No doubt you don't run a business yourself.

    Well, it's the old "you had better resign yourself to using Micro$oft
    products FOR ALL ETERNITY, lest you encounter some training costs"
    argument.

    This argument is only put-forth by fsckwitted assholes, of course - too
    fsckwitted to understand things like "investing in the future".

  5. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    chrisv wrote:

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Of course all companies should switch to linux instead. When it comes
    >>> to IT labor costs, it's obviously much more time consuming to upgrade
    >>> the memory by plugging in two sticks of RAM then it is to install
    >>> linux, setup user accounts, configure the desktops and retrain every
    >>> user.

    >> No doubt you don't run a business yourself.

    > Well, it's the old "you had better resign yourself to using Micro$oft
    > products FOR ALL ETERNITY, lest you encounter some training costs"
    > argument.
    >
    > This argument is only put-forth by fsckwitted assholes, of course - too
    > fsckwitted to understand things like "investing in the future".

    I should also mention that the fsckwitted assholes don't seem to object
    when the training costs are for new versions of M$ crapware, like Visduh
    or Offal 2007...

  6. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    > anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    > and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    > it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    > and crew running them.

    "Okay, I'm running the rap sheet on this perp now. Oh, *#$%@@, this
    #$%@^ Billy-box just froze up on me. Looks like we got nothin' to hold
    'em on."

    > A 1.2G laptop with 768M installed, and they
    > require replacement and overhaul frequently. But at least they last 4
    > times as long as they did with the 256M Ewik claims they should be able
    > to use comfortably. And they work much faster. Much, /MUCH/ faster.

    Can you say "memory leak"?

    --
    Programs today get very fat; the enhancements tend to slow the programs down
    because people put in special checks. When they want to add some feature,

  7. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:34:51 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    >> anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    >> and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    >> it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    >> and crew running them.

    Why would computers on a closed network (presumably without CD-Rom's or
    floppy's) need anti-virus? Or any updates unless they patches to fix an
    operational problem?

    > "Okay, I'm running the rap sheet on this perp now. Oh, *#$%@@, this
    > #$%@^ Billy-box just froze up on me. Looks like we got nothin' to hold
    > 'em on."

    Yeah, cause even if that happened that would mean their radio was dead, and
    they would be required by law to release someone seconds after they detain
    them.

    Yeah, right.

    >> A 1.2G laptop with 768M installed, and they
    >> require replacement and overhaul frequently. But at least they last 4
    >> times as long as they did with the 256M Ewik claims they should be able
    >> to use comfortably. And they work much faster. Much, /MUCH/ faster.

    > Can you say "memory leak"?

    Yeah, whatever application they're using must be pretty bad.

  8. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    On 2008-03-30, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    >> anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    >> and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    >> it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    >> and crew running them.

    > "Okay, I'm running the rap sheet on this perp now. Oh, *#$%@@, this
    > #$%@^ Billy-box just froze up on me. Looks like we got nothin' to hold
    > 'em on."

    The good news is they can still radio it in. The bad news is, they
    have to radio /everything/ in when the craptops quit.

    They get most of their calls on them. That has to change to radio
    traffic.

    They run licenses. That has to go to radio traffic.

    They run IDs. That moves over to radio traffic.

    They check for warrants. That has to go to radio traffic.

    They send in their status. That becomes radio traffic.

    They have to call for ambulances, backup, coordinate things, etc, that
    would normally be handled on the computers.

    They send and receive private messages between the patrol officers, the
    sergeants and others in the command structure. That mocves to radio
    traffic.

    Radio traffic generates some misunderstandings in what's said versus
    having it written out on a creen. That increases radio traffic for
    clarification.

    That's just the patrol people. The drug people, the intel people, the
    tac team people, the traffic officers, the accident investigation
    people and everybody else have the same problems.

    With the laptops working better we have almost a million fewer
    push-to-talks a month than they did when they all only had 256M. That's
    reality in the face of Erik's false claim that 256M is sufficient to
    run an XP machine comfortably. He can look at the MS sales propaganda
    all he wants. He can look at lab tests that are short in duration,
    using MS-supplied, MS-configured equipment and software. But when you
    put it to use in the field, sending and receiving data all day, it
    falls on its ass.

    --
    A circle is a round straight line with a hole in the middle.

  9. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    On 2008-03-30, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:34:51 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    >>> anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    >>> and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    >>> it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    >>> and crew running them.

    > Why would computers on a closed network (presumably without CD-Rom's or
    > floppy's) need anti-virus? Or any updates unless they patches to fix an
    > operational problem?

    I have no idea. Why not address that question to the Winders Geniuses®
    who set them up?

    >> "Okay, I'm running the rap sheet on this perp now. Oh, *#$%@@, this
    >> #$%@^ Billy-box just froze up on me. Looks like we got nothin' to hold
    >> 'em on."

    > Yeah, cause even if that happened that would mean their radio was dead, and
    > they would be required by law to release someone seconds after they detain
    > them.
    >
    > Yeah, right.
    >
    >>> A 1.2G laptop with 768M installed, and they
    >>> require replacement and overhaul frequently. But at least they last 4
    >>> times as long as they did with the 256M Ewik claims they should be able
    >>> to use comfortably. And they work much faster. Much, /MUCH/ faster.

    >> Can you say "memory leak"?

    > Yeah, whatever application they're using must be pretty bad.

    Anything to defend the monopolists, eh Erik?

    I don't run the same things the cops do on the craptop I use (I'm not
    authorized for some of it, and I'm connecting to a public network,
    which disallows some of it being used). I still have to reboot it from
    time to time because it starts acting up: dragging to a crawl,
    applications shutting down and/or locking up, opening new windows in
    existing applications (which ought to take mere seconds) taking
    forever, etc. At the same time, the CPU claims it's doing almost
    nothing at all when I can finally get a task manager window to look at
    it, which can take minutes all by itself. Strange, ain't it?

    --
    Nothing is impossible for a man who doesn't have to do it himself.

  10. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:34:51 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Note that their use doesn't involve saving anything, installing
    >>> anything, or any other action. The police run the software that's on it
    >>> and get updates to the OS and anti-virus over a closed network. That's
    >>> it. They're turned on and off 3 or 4 times a day, depending on the car
    >>> and crew running them.

    > Why would computers on a closed network (presumably without CD-Rom's or
    > floppy's) need anti-virus? Or any updates unless they patches to fix an
    > operational problem?
    >
    >> "Okay, I'm running the rap sheet on this perp now. Oh, *#$%@@, this
    >> #$%@^ Billy-box just froze up on me. Looks like we got nothin' to hold
    >> 'em on."

    > Yeah, cause even if that happened that would mean their radio was dead, and
    > they would be required by law to release someone seconds after they detain
    > them.
    >
    > Yeah, right.

    Ahhh, Erik is equal to Tim in his humor impairment.

    --
    Like almost everyone who uses e-mail, I receive a ton of spam every day.
    Much of it offers to help me get out of debt or get rich quick. It would be

  11. Re: Vista "hasn't missed a beat"

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > With the laptops working better we have almost a million fewer
    > push-to-talks a month than they did when they all only had 256M. That's
    > reality in the face of Erik's false claim that 256M is sufficient to
    > run an XP machine comfortably. He can look at the MS sales propaganda
    > all he wants. He can look at lab tests that are short in duration,
    > using MS-supplied, MS-configured equipment and software. But when you
    > put it to use in the field, sending and receiving data all day, it
    > falls on its ass.

    That's Windows. Feed it well.

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3