[News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters - Linux ; Oracle offers clustering for Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle is breaking out the Linux clustering component of its Oracle RAC (Real | Application Clusters) package and offering it to customers of its Unbreakable | Linux support program for Linux ...

  1. [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    Oracle offers clustering for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oracle is breaking out the Linux clustering component of its Oracle RAC (Real
    | Application Clusters) package and offering it to customers of its Unbreakable
    | Linux support program for Linux users.
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-linux_1.html

    Recent:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? ┬*

    | to go with that. Perhaps Google on that layer, although frankly speaking,
    | most of what we have there is upside. We're small and they're big. (With)
    | most things, we're big and the other guy is small, so we have more to lose
    | than gain. In this case, we have more to gain than to lose with Google. ┬* ┬*
    `----

    Related:

    University of Colorado to Use SiCortex Cluster for Space Studies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SiCortex, the emerging leader in compact, low power multicore Linux® systems,
    | announced today that the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP)
    | at the University of Colorado has purchased and installed a SiCortex SC648
    | half-teraflop system as an integral part of its research into solar
    | influences, planetary physics, atmospheric science and space physics. ┬* ┬*
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...26&newsLang=en

    Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

  2. Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Oracle offers clustering for Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Oracle is breaking out the Linux clustering component of its Oracle RAC
    > (Real
    > | Application Clusters) package and offering it to customers of its
    > Unbreakable
    > | Linux support program for Linux users.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-linux_1.html

    Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a RDBMS
    system their focus is going to remain on databases.

  3. Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 26 March 2008 16:29 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Oracle offers clustering for Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Oracle is breaking out the Linux clustering component of its Oracle RAC
    >> (Real
    >> | Application Clusters) package and offering it to customers of its
    >> Unbreakable
    >> | Linux support program for Linux users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-linux_1.html
    >>

    > Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a RDBMS
    > system their focus is going to remain on databases.

    I thought twice before typing that down for this very same reason. Clearly,
    they put a little more focus on this than they did before... and it seems like
    they pull a Sun/MySQL on Red Hat here.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I blame God for making me an atheist"

  4. Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    > ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 26 March 2008 16:29 : \____
    >

    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Oracle offers clustering for Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> RAC
    >>> (Real
    >>> Unbreakable
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-linux_1.html
    >>>

    >> Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a
    >> RDBMS
    >> system their focus is going to remain on databases.

    > I thought twice before typing that down for this very same reason.
    > Clearly,
    > they put a little more focus on this than they did before... and it seems
    > like
    > they pull a Sun/MySQL on Red Hat here.

    I think that Oracle will "focus" on Linux to the extent that it helps them
    sell Oracle licenses. Perhaps one day it will generate a nice extra revenue
    stream for them in support and services in the same way that Redhat makes
    their profit. BTW - I think that Redhat is due to report their earnings soon
    which might be interesting to see their progress. Oracle may make some
    strategic moves now that Sun has MySQL so it will be fun to watch how that
    all plays out.

    Regards.
    - steel

    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "I blame God for making me an atheist"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

  5. Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    On 2008-03-26, Subway steel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Oracle offers clustering for Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Oracle is breaking out the Linux clustering component of its Oracle RAC
    >> (Real
    >> | Application Clusters) package and offering it to customers of its
    >> Unbreakable
    >> | Linux support program for Linux users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-linux_1.html
    >>

    > Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a RDBMS
    > system their focus is going to remain on databases.

    Oracle certainly is.

    Those Linux clusters are meant to run their expensive RDBMS of course.

    However, they have also exposed their clustering API so that anyone
    that wants to can make their own (non-database) applications cluster aware.

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

    On 2008-03-26, Subway steel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 26 March 2008 16:29 : \____
    >>

    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a
    >>> RDBMS
    >>> system their focus is going to remain on databases.

    >> I thought twice before typing that down for this very same reason.
    >> Clearly,
    >> they put a little more focus on this than they did before... and it seems
    >> like
    >> they pull a Sun/MySQL on Red Hat here.

    > I think that Oracle will "focus" on Linux to the extent that it helps them
    > sell Oracle licenses. Perhaps one day it will generate a nice extra revenue
    > stream for them in support and services in the same way that Redhat makes

    There's no "perhaps" or "one day" about it.

    It already does.

    [deletia]

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \
    That way leads to lawyers and business megacorps and credit cards!

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread