Linux: the high cost of low prices - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: the high cost of low prices - Linux ; "DFS" writes: > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0) > > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server > Dev\BioShock (~$475) > > Which would you rather use? Nextuiz? Sigh, not ANOTHER Q3 rip off? Christ, this stuff is so "old school". -- home ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    --
    home is where the highest bandwidth is

  2. Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)

    Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    Dev\BioShock (~$475)

    Which would you rather use?

  3. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:07:05 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    Sarcasm on:

    Ubuntu.
    Software that works is no fun.
    I love a challenge!
    Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    Is a Gamba a female Goomba?

    Sarcasm off:

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:07:05 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >>
    >> Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    >> Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >>
    >> Which would you rather use?

    > The former rather that the latter - it works.

    Well, thats not true.

    OO is buggy and slow IMO. I use it but it's a dog. Gnucash is
    pretty much not used in any professional business - a few home cash
    sheets maybe. Gambas is a joke. MySQL is * EXCELLENT * IMO for a free
    product. And Nexuiz is yet another multiplayer Q3 rip off thats 10 years
    behind the curve. Like a lot of "open source" efforts Nexuiz doesnt
    really need to offer any more than, say, open arena, and so is yet
    another mediocre product with no defining graces.

    --
    Lemme make sure I'm not wasting time here... bcwhite will remove
    pkgs that havent been fixed that have outstanding bugs of severity

  5. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Sarcasm on:
    >
    > Ubuntu.
    > Software that works is no fun.
    > I love a challenge!
    > Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    > Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >

    > Sarcasm off:

    Moshe,

    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    bearable.
    My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the things I
    have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf, and
    I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if I
    can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using
    computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    another person they have never seen, can they?

    Tony(UK)

  6. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    DFS wrote:

    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    Ah yes, another totally off topic post from Dimbo Fail-Safe.

    Vista is a Microsoft OS offering - off topic.

    Office Pro does not run natively in any Linux distro.

    Quicken does not run natively in any Linux distro.

    Visual Studio Express does not run natively in any Linux distro.

    SQL Server Dev does not run natively in any Linux distro.

    BioShock does not run natively in any Linux distro.

    On the other hand,

    Ubuntu is an extremely capable and free Linux distro. Try it properly
    instead of whining about your own failings.

    OpenOffice will do just about everything you need in an office suite.

    Gnucash, don't use it myself. For most people it will do everything they
    need.

    Gambas, don't develop with basic so I have no idea whet it's like.

    MySQL, doesn't need any justification from me. A lot of the internet depends
    on it. Enough said.

    Nexuiz, if you like FPS then enjoy. Personally, I prefer something that
    stretches the mind.

    So, as this is a Linux news group what do you think we would rather use?
    App's that will run natively in our chosen OS for the cost of downloading
    and/or installing or a bunch of stuff that requires you to purchase it?

    No contest really is it?

  7. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Tony Smith writes:

    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >

    >> Sarcasm on:
    >>
    >> Ubuntu.
    >> Software that works is no fun.
    >> I love a challenge!
    >> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>

    >> Sarcasm off:

    > Moshe,
    >
    > I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    > Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    > programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    > year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    > computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    > continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    > bearable.

    Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    to execue spam exes?

    > My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    > comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    > Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    > the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the thinga
    > I have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf,
    > and

    And you can do all that on Windows too. There are some awesome Windows
    SW for disabled and partially sighted people too.

    Also, consider looking into EmacsSpeak

    http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

    > I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    > *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    > someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if

    Rubbish. Linux is easy enough for most people now. The problem is more
    the lack of quality applications which people are familiar with.

    > can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    > that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    > Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    > spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using

    I used Windows for years and never had any issues - you should get
    someone who knows what they are doing to set it up for you.

    > computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    > another person they have never seen, can they?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    Agreed. But was that joke a joke or a pun, if it was it was very funny!

    --

    The branden dodges your magical sigh. The branden attacks you with a
    slew of words! The branden misses!

    -- Henning Makholm in

  8. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Tony Smith wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >

    >> Sarcasm on:
    >>
    >> Ubuntu.
    >> Software that works is no fun.
    >> I love a challenge!
    >> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>

    >> Sarcasm off:

    > Moshe,
    >
    > I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    > Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    > programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    > year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    > computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    > continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    > bearable.
    > My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    > comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    > Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    > the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the things I
    > have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf, and
    > I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    > *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    > someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if I
    > can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    > that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    > Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    > spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using
    > computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    > another person they have never seen, can they?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    In 39 lines you've done more to advocate Linux than Mark Roy Willy Homer
    Spike Kent have ever done in COLA. Well done Tony.

  9. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    On 2008-03-25, Hadron wrote:
    > Tony Smith writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>

    >>> Sarcasm on:
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu.
    >>> Software that works is no fun.
    >>> I love a challenge!
    >>> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >>> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>>

    >>> Sarcasm off:

    >> Moshe,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >> bearable.

    > Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    > firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    > to execue spam exes?

    This is all fine as long as you're geeky enough to run Linux
    anyways. Otherwise, all of this will quickly lose the more mundane
    end user.

    [deletia]

    The moment you've engineered something that requires the
    novice to exercise restraint and discipline, you've just created
    a big quagmire.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Hadron wrote:

    > Tony Smith writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>

    >>> Sarcasm on:
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu.
    >>> Software that works is no fun.
    >>> I love a challenge!
    >>> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >>> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>>

    >>> Sarcasm off:

    >> Moshe,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >> bearable.

    > Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    > firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    > to execue spam exes?
    >
    >> My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    >> comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    >> Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    >> the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the thinga
    >> I have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf,
    >> and

    > And you can do all that on Windows too. There are some awesome Windows
    > SW for disabled and partially sighted people too.
    >
    > Also, consider looking into EmacsSpeak
    >
    > http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

    Dolphin HAL - £700 retail. Isn't that affordable!

    >> I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    >> *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    >> someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if

    > Rubbish. Linux is easy enough for most people now. The problem is more
    > the lack of quality applications which people are familiar with.
    >
    >> can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    >> that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    >> Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    >> spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using

    > I used Windows for years and never had any issues - you should get
    > someone who knows what they are doing to set it up for you.

    Careful Hadron, you're coming across as arrogant.

    >> computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    >> another person they have never seen, can they?
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > Agreed. But was that joke a joke or a pun, if it was it was very funny!

    Hadron you really are a crass, insensitive arsehole.

  11. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    >Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> Tony Smith writes:
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >>> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >>> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >>> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >>> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >>> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >>> bearable.

    >> Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    >> firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    >> to execue spam exes?

    Poor Hadron, rushing-in to defend his beloved Micro$oft Corp...

    >>> My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    >>> comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    >>> Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    >>> the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the thinga
    >>> I have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf,
    >>> and

    >> And you can do all that on Windows too.

    Oh, can it? Nice "true Linux advocacy", Quack.

  12. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:41:47 -0500, Lucas Naumann wrote:

    > Tony Smith wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>

    >>> Sarcasm on:
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu.
    >>> Software that works is no fun.
    >>> I love a challenge!
    >>> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >>> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>>

    >>> Sarcasm off:

    >> Moshe,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >> bearable.
    >> My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    >> comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    >> Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    >> the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the things I
    >> have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf, and
    >> I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    >> *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    >> someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if I
    >> can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    >> that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    >> Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    >> spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using
    >> computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    >> another person they have never seen, can they?
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > In 39 lines you've done more to advocate Linux than Mark Roy Willy Homer
    > Spike Kent have ever done in COLA. Well done Tony.

    Absolutely.

    The OP from Tony did not appear on my server so I will reply here.

    You are correct that each person has to evaluate their needs, applications
    and so forth and make a decision based on their own criteria.

    For you, Linux is the best choice and that's fine.
    For me it's not.

    I'm not mocking anyone except the crazy Linux loons in COLA who have no
    idea how to advocate Linux and certainly do not care about any person's
    needs.
    With them it's all Linux or nothing, which is wrong.

    Trying to shoehorn Linux into a setting where it is a poor choice is worse
    than not sating anything at all and when you couple it with the fact that
    these loons will rarely admit Linux has faults it becomes the words of a
    rabid zealot and loses all credibility.

    I apologize if you were offended, that was not my intent.
    You are a good Linux advocate and the bozos here in COLA should follow your
    example.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Tony Smith wrote:

    > Moshe,
    >
    > I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    > Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    > programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    > year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    > computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    > continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    > bearable.
    > My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    > comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    > Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    > the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the things I
    > have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf, and
    > I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    > *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    > someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if I
    > can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    > that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    > Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    > spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using
    > computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    > another person they have never seen, can they?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    For your information, Tony, Moshe Goldfarb is a troll aka Flatfish.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Smith writes:

    >>> Moshe,
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >>> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >>> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >>> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >>> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >>> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >>> bearable.

    >> Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    >> firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    >> to execue spam exes?
    >>
    >>> My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    >>> comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    >>> Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    >>> the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the thinga
    >>> I have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf,
    >>> and

    >> And you can do all that on Windows too. There are some awesome Windows
    >> SW for disabled and partially sighted people too.
    >>
    >> Also, consider looking into EmacsSpeak
    >>
    >> http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > Dolphin HAL - £700 retail. Isn't that affordable!
    >>
    >>> I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    >>> *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    >>> someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if

    >> Rubbish. Linux is easy enough for most people now. The problem is more
    >> the lack of quality applications which people are familiar with.
    >>
    >>> can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    >>> that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    >>> Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    >>> spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using

    >> I used Windows for years and never had any issues - you should get
    >> someone who knows what they are doing to set it up for you.

    > Careful Hadron, you're coming across as arrogant.

    Funny isn't it. When a Linux user says that, Rhonda Quack yells "Liar"....

    >>> computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    >>> another person they have never seen, can they?
    >>>
    >>> Tony(UK)

    >> Agreed. But was that joke a joke or a pun, if it was it was very funny!

    > Hadron you really are a crass, insensitive arsehole.

    Trolling arsehole, surely.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    If doofy is right, raising prices will increase the customer base!!!!

    There is only one thing to do.
    Micoshaft should raise prices by at leat 369%.
    Force people to buy more windummy OSen!

    YEAH! I FEEL GREAT! GO BALLMER GO!
    PRICES! PRICES! PRICES!

  16. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Jeremy Fisher wrote:

    >BioShock - Not played it (I use a Linux platform)

    That's the new game that phones-home when you install it. If you
    install it more than a few times (a real possibility, considering
    Windwoes instability and reinstalls), it will no longer work.

    --
    "Which "open standard" formats would these be? The ones that are still
    non standard or the MS Office ones which are used in 95% or more of

  17. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    DFS wrote:

    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    Ubuntu - Not my choice, but easy to set up and use.
    Vista Home Premium - The thought of even considering it made me smile.

    OpenOffice - The dogs bollocks, slow to open 11sec via Office Suit, 4sec
    direct to word processor
    Office Pro - Not for me. It functions fine, but find I have to use Open
    Office to access Office versions that Office users can't open poetic.

    gnucash / Quicken No idea, Have looked after Sage users, but know use a ERP
    system to look after that side, it runs on both platforms.

    Gambas - Haven't used it, my expectation is that it isn't a mature product,
    but have no first hand experience with it.

    Visual Studio Express - Is that not like buying a car but not being allowed
    to put wheels on, far too limiting in scope to allow me to develop for
    multiple users.

    SQL Server Dev - I need security, and could not in all honesty take it as a
    safe choice.

    MySQL - Rock solid, well understood

    BioShock - Not played it (I use a Linux platform)

    Nexuiz - had not heard of it before, but thanks it looks worth a download.

    Jem..

  18. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    DFS wrote:
    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:07:05 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >>>
    >>> Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    >>> Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >>>
    >>> Which would you rather use?

    >> The former rather that the latter - it works.

    > Well, thats not true.
    >
    > OO is buggy and slow IMO. I use it but it's a dog.

    You are welcome to your opinion. I am sure others sare it, but I am also
    sure others don't. I also would prefer to use the first.

    > Gnucash is
    > pretty much not used in any professional business - a few home cash
    > sheets maybe.

    doesn't matter who does or doesn't matter in relation to the question.

    > Gambas is a joke.

    No opinion. Haven't used it.

    > MySQL is * EXCELLENT * IMO for a free product.

    It is excellent for a product. Period.

    > And Nexuiz is yet another multiplayer Q3 rip off thats 10 years
    > behind the curve.

    Haven't used it.

    > Like a lot of "open source" efforts Nexuiz doesnt
    > really need to offer any more than, say, open arena, and so is yet
    > another mediocre product with no defining graces.

    .... then don't use it.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    Hadron wrote:
    > Tony Smith writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:50:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sarcasm on:
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu.
    >>> Software that works is no fun.
    >>> I love a challenge!
    >>> Pain is good for the 'sole'.
    >>> Is a Gamba a female Goomba?
    >>>

    >>> Sarcasm off:

    >> Moshe,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and everyone else berating
    >> Linux. I am disabled and partially sighted, and run Ubuntu with tools and
    >> programmes included within in with great success, after spending almost a
    >> year learning about Linux (just like I did when I first considered a
    >> computer). It was a learning curve I was prepared to undertake, as the
    >> continual fight to keep Windows secure and clean on my PC was no longer
    >> bearable.

    > Why? What were the issues? Did you have a router? Did you keep the
    > firewall on? Did you keep your anti virus upto date and did you refuse
    > to execue spam exes?
    >
    >> My needs are simple. I need the computer set up so I can use it
    >> comfortably, easy to see and use. I write letters in Abiword and Open
    >> Office, and at first, I had trouble with font display, but researching
    >> the problem gave me the cure. This has been the case in all the thinga
    >> I have learnt. I play and listen to music, watch BBC iplayer and surf,
    >> and

    > And you can do all that on Windows too. There are some awesome Windows
    > SW for disabled and partially sighted people too.

    It seems he can do it under Linux, and likes it that way.

    > Also, consider looking into EmacsSpeak
    >
    > http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/
    >

    >> I am amazed that everything *I* do, or wanted to do before the switch, I
    >> *can* do with Linux. A newbie reading this newsgroup would never believe
    >> someone could do anything with Linux, but the truth is, I can. And if

    > Rubbish. Linux is easy enough for most people now. The problem is more
    > the lack of quality applications which people are familiar with.

    .... the lack of quality applications. Yeah. Right. It seems to me you
    think if an application runs under Linux, it can't be a quality application.

    >> can, believe me, so can anyone. I can say with honesty and truthfulness
    >> that for the last three months, there is really nothing I miss about
    >> Windows. I certainly do not miss the unwanted intrusion of malware,
    >> spyware, viruses.....I could go on. Each person's needs when using

    > I used Windows for years and never had any issues - you should get
    > someone who knows what they are doing to set it up for you.

    why should he get someone to set up Windows for him if he can set up
    Linux for himself?

    >> computers are different, and no-one can really feel comfortable mocking
    >> another person they have never seen, can they?
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > Agreed. But was that joke a joke or a pun, if it was it was very funny!

    sheesh.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread