Linux: the high cost of low prices - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: the high cost of low prices - Linux ; Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart) http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

  2. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

  3. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

  4. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    DFS wrote:
    > Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >
    > Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    > Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >
    > Which would you rather use?

    Ubuntu of course. What other answer do you really expect in a Linux
    advocacy group? Why even ask?

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  5. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >>
    >> Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL
    >> Server Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >>
    >> Which would you rather use?

    > Ubuntu of course.

    Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu. OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd
    rate. Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio. MySQL is decent for
    being free, but not nearly up to the standard of SQL Server. And Nexuiz is
    a 10-year old gaming experience, while BioShock is Game of the Year
    material.

    You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up with the world of
    software.

    So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based on
    plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    > What other answer do you really expect in a Linux
    > advocacy group?

    The truth.

    > Why even ask?

    To see how many nuts would have the balls to speak their conscience. So
    far, none have.

  6. Re: DFS lies.

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:44:49 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >>>
    >>> Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    >>> Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >>>
    >>> Which would you rather use?

    >> Ubuntu of course.

    > Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu.

    That's a lie.

    > OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd rate.

    That's a lie.

    > Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio.

    I have not use either, however, since you are saying Gambas is a joke, I
    tend to think is must pretty good.

    > MySQL is decent for being free, but not nearly up
    > to the standard of SQL Server.

    Another lie.

    > And Nexuiz is a 10-year old gaming experience, while
    > BioShock is Game of the Year material.

    I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.

    > You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up with the world
    > of software.
    >
    > So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based
    > on plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    either you don't know much about software, or your position is based on
    plain-old unjustifiable anti-OSS. Which?

    >> What other answer do you really expect in a Linux advocacy group?

    > The truth.

    Another lie. You don't want the truth, you want people to not like OSS.

    >> Why even ask?

    > To see how many nuts would have the balls to speak their conscience. So
    > far, none have.

    Another lie.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    DFS wrote:

    > Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu. OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd
    > rate. Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio. MySQL is decent for
    > being free, but not nearly up to the standard of SQL Server. And Nexuiz is
    > a 10-year old gaming experience, while BioShock is Game of the Year
    > material.

    OpenOffice and gnucash work just fine and do far more than I need from
    those sorts of apps. I've barely even heard of Gambas and use Eclipse
    if I really need a powerful IDE. SQL Server is not all that; you are
    better off going with Oracle or DB2 if you really need top-end database
    performance... otherwise MySQL gives you much better bang for your buck,
    including better scalability than SQL-Server for the type of read heavy
    web applications it is commonly used on. Games? Yes, Windows is still
    a better platform for playing games, I'll give you that, but most people
    don't buy their computer for playing games. It is certainly not a
    consideration in the business world.

    > You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up with the world of
    > software.
    >
    > So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based on
    > plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    Bull****. I use the software that works best for me based on clearly
    objective measures. Linux and the open source software available for
    it provide greater security and stability, a smoother upgrade and
    maintenance path, and better ROI. I recognize that other people with
    different needs can have a different answer, but Linux is clearly the
    right choice for me.

    >> What other answer do you really expect in a Linux
    >> advocacy group?

    > The truth.

    No, you are not interested in the truth. You are just
    here to pick a
    fight.

    >> Why even ask?

    > To see how many nuts would have the balls to speak their conscience. So
    > far, none have.

    Bull**** again. You can project your prejudice into the minds of
    others all you want, but that doesn't make it so. This fantasy of
    yours that all Linux users secretly know Windows is better is just
    that, a fantasy. Not everyone measures software from the same set
    of needs, so not everyone will come up with the same answer as you.
    That is not intellectual dishonesty, that is just human nature.
    Deal with it.

    My girlfriend used to be a fan and user of Windows. She started
    using Linux only because I had it running on my computers. She
    decided on her own to switch to Linux because she just plain
    liked it better. Not because of cost or how it is licensed or
    anything like that... just how it works. It does the stuff she
    needs, and does it easier and more reliably than Windows. She
    pretty much spends 99.9% of her time in OpenOffice, Firefox, and
    SSH shells. Windows would gain her nothing other than the added
    need to keep firewall and anti-virus software up to date and a
    bigger hassle whenever she wanted to upgrade software. Try to
    convince her that she would be better off running Windows and
    she would probably laugh in your face. She has years of
    experience with both operating systems, including certifications
    for Windows software. I think she can make up her own mind
    which OS works best for her.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  8. Re: DFS lies.

    "Hadron" stated in post
    fsgbhn$365$3@registered.motzarella.org on 3/27/08 7:38 AM:

    >>> I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.

    >> You're 3 for 3 in a row. Why did you even bother answering if you don't
    >> know or use the apps and games under discussion?

    > Strange isn't it? Rick is always calling people "liars" and then
    > admitting he hasn't a clue about the applications in question.
    >
    > Ask Snit.

    Rick has pockets of knowledge... but no sense of the "forest". And when his
    contrary claims are pointed out he suddenly finds that the whole
    conversation is not worth his time.

    And, yes, Rick repeatedly calls people names and insists people lie even
    when they have massive evidence to back up their claims *and* they can show
    his contradictory claims.

    Heck, Rick *still* cannot decide if PCLOS's UI is fractured into "4 UIs", as
    he sometimes claims, or is "not fractured" as he usually claims.

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

  9. Re: DFS lies.

    "Rick" stated in post 13umuuohg2nqt81@news.supernews.com
    on 3/27/08 3:50 AM:

    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:44:49 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu of course.

    >> Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu.

    > That's a lie.
    >
    >> OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd rate.

    > That's a lie.
    >

    >> Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio.

    > I have not use either, however, since you are saying Gambas is a joke, I
    > tend to think is must pretty good.
    >
    >> MySQL is decent for being free, but not nearly up
    >> to the standard of SQL Server.

    > Another lie.
    >

    >> And Nexuiz is a 10-year old gaming experience, while
    >> BioShock is Game of the Year material.

    > I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.
    >

    >> You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up with the world
    >> of software.
    >>
    >> So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based
    >> on plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    > either you don't know much about software, or your position is based on
    > plain-old unjustifiable anti-OSS. Which?
    >>
    >>> What other answer do you really expect in a Linux advocacy group?

    >> The truth.

    > Another lie. You don't want the truth, you want people to not like OSS.
    >

    >>> Why even ask?

    >> To see how many nuts would have the balls to speak their conscience. So
    >> far, none have.

    > Another lie.

    You make a lot of accusations.

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

  10. Re: Linux: the high cost of low prices

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:44:49 -0500
    :
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)
    >>>
    >>> Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL
    >>> Server Dev\BioShock (~$475)
    >>>
    >>> Which would you rather use?

    >> Ubuntu of course.

    > Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu.

    Curious as to the details.

    > OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd rate.

    Ditto.

    > Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio.

    Gambas is a rather whimsical Visual Basic clone.
    Fortunately, one can disable the blue lobster.

    > MySQL is decent for being free, but not nearly up
    > to the standard of SQL Server.

    Details?

    > And Nexuiz is a 10-year old gaming experience,
    > while BioShock is Game of the Year material.

    4 pages of awards.
    Spike TV 2007, game of the year
    British Academa Video Games awards, game of the year
    WorthPlaying's top games of 2007 #1 XBox 360 game, #1 of the year
    X-Play best of 2007: game of the year, best art direction, best
    writing/story, best original soundtrack

    I could go on, but there are 19 organizations with a total
    of 38 awards, and that's just on their promotional website.

    Therefore, the conclusion is obvious: buy XBox 360 for
    one's server needs and install Windows Server 2007 on it.

    Wait, that can't be right...

    (To its credit, the website uses Flash, not Silverlight.)

    > You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up
    > with the world of software.
    >
    > So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based on
    > plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    It's gotta be anti-MS bias. Anything that's not pro-MS is anti-MS.
    Everyone that's not with Bill Gates is against Bill Gates.

    >> What other answer do you really expect in a Linux
    >> advocacy group?

    > The truth.

    The "truth" only comes from the Winvocates. The real truth
    comes from various sources, some of them more credible
    than others.

    >> Why even ask?

    > To see how many nuts would have the balls to speak their conscience. So
    > far, none have.

    None that have agreed with you, that's for sure.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  11. Re: DFS lies.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:50:00 -0000
    <13umuuohg2nqt81@news.supernews.com>:
    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:44:49 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu of course.

    >> Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu.

    > That's a lie.
    >
    >> OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd rate.

    > That's a lie.
    >

    >> Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio.

    > I have not use either, however, since you are saying Gambas is a joke, I
    > tend to think is must pretty good.

    Gambas is an interesting piece of work; not quite sure how
    useful it is. However, it feels nice and solid, if a bit
    silly (because of the blue lobster).

    Not sure it's up to Eclipse caliber, though.

    >> MySQL is decent for being free, but not nearly up
    >> to the standard of SQL Server.

    > Another lie.

    Not sure either one is up to Oracle or SAS standards,
    though much of that is a hardware problem.

    >> And Nexuiz is a 10-year old gaming experience, while
    >> BioShock is Game of the Year material.

    > I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.

    Nexuiz is a solid, heavily modified Quake I multiplayer
    game ensemble. Among other things, it has auto-download
    and the usual assortment of combat modes; deathmatch,
    capture the flag, and last man standing come to mind.
    (I play Eternal Lands now, so haven't gone in there
    lately.)

    >> You have to know all this - if not then you don't keep up with the world
    >> of software.
    >>
    >> So, either you don't know much about software, or your answer is based
    >> on plain-old unjustifiable anti-MS, anti-commercial bias. Which?

    > either you don't know much about software, or your position is based on
    > plain-old unjustifiable anti-OSS. Which?
    >>
    >>> What other answer do you really expect in a Linux advocacy group?

    >> The truth.

    > Another lie. You don't want the truth, you want people to not like OSS.

    Well of course not; it's not profitable for Microsoft. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  12. Re: DFS lies.

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:50:00 -0000
    > <13umuuohg2nqt81@news.supernews.com>:

    >>> Why? You can't do anything with Ubuntu.

    >> That's a lie.
    >>
    >>> OpenOffice and gnucash are 2nd rate.

    >> That's a lie.
    >>

    >>> Gambas is just a sad joke next to Visual Studio.

    >> I have not use either, however, since you are saying Gambas is a joke, I
    >> tend to think is must pretty good.

    > Gambas is an interesting piece of work; not quite sure how
    > useful it is. However, it feels nice and solid, if a bit

    Interesting as in "why bother"? Who uses it? Answer : almost no one.

    > silly (because of the blue lobster).

    You know a Gambas is a big prawn in Spanish?

    > Not sure it's up to Eclipse caliber, though.

    Eclipse is an IDE. Gambas is an IDE solely for a Visual Basic "like"
    language isn't it?

    And I am sure. Thousands of people contribute to Eclipse. Almost no one
    contributes to Gambas.

    >>> MySQL is decent for being free, but not nearly up
    >>> to the standard of SQL Server.

    >> Another lie.

    > Not sure either one is up to Oracle or SAS standards,
    > though much of that is a hardware problem.

    But not a lie.

    >>> And Nexuiz is a 10-year old gaming experience, while
    >>> BioShock is Game of the Year material.

    >> I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.

    > Nexuiz is a solid, heavily modified Quake I multiplayer
    > game ensemble. Among other things, it has auto-download
    > and the usual assortment of combat modes; deathmatch,
    > capture the flag, and last man standing come to mind.
    > (I play Eternal Lands now, so haven't gone in there
    > lately.)

    More like Quake III actually in terms of gameplay and the engine is
    Darkplaces which bears little of any resemblance to the original Q1
    engine on which it was based . Regardless - it's old and
    dated. Impressive none the less.

  13. Re: DFS lies.

    > Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> DFS lies

    Well, no ****, Sherlock. KF the worthless POS and be done with it.

  14. Re: DFS lies.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:49:25 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:50:00 -0000
    >> <13umuuohg2nqt81@news.supernews.com>:

    >>> That's a lie.

    >>> That's a lie.

    >>> I have not use either, however, since you are saying Gambas is a joke, I
    >>> tend to think is must pretty good.

    >> Gambas is an interesting piece of work; not quite sure how
    >> useful it is. However, it feels nice and solid, if a bit

    > Interesting as in "why bother"? Who uses it? Answer : almost no one.

    Well, there you are then. Of course at some point
    someone's going to have to get Microsoft Visual Studio.NET
    working under WinE.

    (I suspect someone already has.)

    >> silly (because of the blue lobster).

    > You know a Gambas is a big prawn in Spanish?

    I do now. And, uncooked, I do believe they are
    blue-tinted. Admittedly, I'm not cheffy enough.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn is inconclusive as to
    size and color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambas
    refers to the software project. Confusingly,
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambas *also* refers
    to the software project. Neither one refers to a
    disambiguation page, though the English one refers to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol_da_gambas, which is a
    vaguely violin-ish looking stringed instrument.)

    >> Not sure it's up to Eclipse caliber, though.
    >>

    > Eclipse is an IDE. Gambas is an IDE solely for a Visual Basic "like"
    > language isn't it?

    Visual Studio.NET is an IDE solely for .NET (which comprises over 20
    languages), right?

    > And I am sure. Thousands of people contribute to Eclipse. Almost no one
    > contributes to Gambas.

    >>> Another lie.

    >> Not sure either one is up to Oracle or SAS standards,
    >> though much of that is a hardware problem.

    > But not a lie.

    Actually, some claim SQL Server can replace Oracle and SAS,
    and that may very well be the case. The factors are many.

    >>> I'm not a game player, so I don't know abut either.

    >> Nexuiz is a solid, heavily modified Quake I multiplayer
    >> game ensemble. Among other things, it has auto-download
    >> and the usual assortment of combat modes; deathmatch,
    >> capture the flag, and last man standing come to mind.
    >> (I play Eternal Lands now, so haven't gone in there
    >> lately.)

    > More like Quake III actually in terms of gameplay

    No, Quake I. Stands to reason as it's a Quake I engine.

    The gameplay is a bit sluggish on my hardware; however,
    I've seen worse, and you'd be surprised how many frags I
    can get even with an over 200+ ms ping. ;-)

    > and the engine is
    > Darkplaces which bears little of any resemblance to the original Q1
    > engine on which it was based .

    Nevertheless, it is a heavily modified Quake I engine.

    > Regardless - it's old and
    > dated. Impressive none the less.

    Try Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for impressive (judging from the
    promos, anyway). Nexuiz makes it to "nicely playable".

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  15. Re: DFS lies.

    "Rick" stated in post 13unm47h9k2ip3b@news.supernews.com
    on 3/27/08 10:25 AM:

    >> Ask Snit.

    > As if he has any credibility.

    Enough where you ran away crying when I pointed out your flip flopping.

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  16. Re: DFS lies.

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >> Eclipse is an IDE. Gambas is an IDE solely for a Visual Basic "like"
    >> language isn't it?

    > Visual Studio.NET is an IDE solely for .NET (which comprises over 20
    > languages), right?

    You become more ludicrous with each post for some reason. We were not
    talking about Visual Studio. .Net or otherwise. We were discussing your
    comparison between Eclipse and Gambas.

  17. Re: DFS lies.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:14:53 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >>> Eclipse is an IDE. Gambas is an IDE solely for a Visual Basic "like"
    >>> language isn't it?

    >> Visual Studio.NET is an IDE solely for .NET (which comprises over 20
    >> languages), right?
    >>

    > You become more ludicrous with each post for some reason. We were not
    > talking about Visual Studio. .Net or otherwise. We were discussing your
    > comparison between Eclipse and Gambas.

    OK, so what is the best IDE? It's certainly not Gambas.

    And why is the best IDE the best IDE?

    I find Gambas corny and mildly problematic in spots
    (non-resizable file requester, for starters; also, it
    doesn't check directory modification times), but
    competent enough.

    KDevelop has no equal in the Gnome world, although the
    GUI editing part can be done with Glade. KDevelop's
    main drawback, AFAICT, is that it encourages positional
    representation; in other words, if one has three labels,
    KDevelop makes it easier to position those labels manually
    using (x,y) coordinates rather than enclosing them in
    a box and letting the box determine where they fall.
    Clearly this has problems if one changes fonts and/or text
    content later; Microsoft VS has a similar problem.

    I've not seen vtcl lately but last time I fiddled with it
    vtcl was quite buggy. It is still offered in Gentoo,
    though it is masked. Not sure what to make of it, as I
    couldn't get its widget packing to work as I expected.
    (Yes, I'm familiar with 'pack'.)

    Beyond the obvious conclusion that Anjuta is biased towards
    C/C++/Glade, I'm not sure what to make of it precisely.
    It loaded a bunch of modules or include files (not sure
    which) when I fired it up. I can create C++ classes in it.
    Attempting to generate a Glade file didn't get very far.

    Eclipse has very rich functionality but tends towards
    the crash-happy; fortunately, it also has reasonably
    good crash recovery. Granted, part of that might be
    the plugins; one of them in particular loves to spit
    out tracebacks on standard output. It also likes to run
    of its workspace virtual memory.

    The traditional Makefile/vi is still usable, though I've
    not played with ctags much, for example. I wouldn't
    use it for Java (which has a more flexible ant tool
    anyway).

    VS.NET is automatically suspect, as it's from Microsoft.
    And yes, I'm prejudiced ;-); however, since I've seen
    earlier versions of VS crash leaving a little non-deletable
    window on Windows NT (no, I don't know who leaked), and
    have caught the compiler in a bug that trashed assembly
    output way back when, one has to wonder.

    To be fair, ddd/gdb have their differences, too.
    Fortunately, I've not had to use either lately, and I
    believe they have improved rather nicely. Also,
    optimized code is going to give the debugger headaches
    unless the compiler is very clear as to where the data is.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  18. Re: DFS lies.

    "Rick" stated in post 13unlpkkov3ho98@news.supernews.com
    on 3/27/08 10:19 AM:

    > So, you enjoy being a dishonest, bigoted ass...

    > That's a lie. I can keep going a long as you.

    > So, you enjoy being a dishonest, bigoted ass...

    > So, you enjoy being a dishonest, bigoted ass...

    You have no idea what your words say about you, do you?

    >> You're 3 for 3 in a row. Why did you even bother answering if you
    >> don't know or use the apps and games under discussion?

    > ... and you prove you can't read. I use Open Office. I have Ubuntu
    > installed at work for evaluation. My computer based students can do all
    > the same work on the Ubuntu machine as the Windows machine,

    My students are carbon based...

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  19. Re: Anonymising Remailing orange.nl Nym-thief lies.

    Nym-thief using "High Plains Thumper"

    From: High Plains Thumper
    Subject: Re: DFS lies.
    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:19:46 -0500
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    > Only ****suckers change subject lines.

    Really sad that a cowardly anonymising remailer troll must steal
    my nym to post his gob****e.

    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Anonymising Remailing orange.nl Nym-thief lies.

    Your nym is synonymous with ****. It was put to a good use. Now turn
    your butt and get ****ed, you bastard!

    --
    Mark Kent: My #1 son's boyfriend likes it in the arse