Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down. - Linux

This is a discussion on Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down. - Linux ; Linonut wrote: >* Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo: >> >> That's not his implied point. >> >> Certain people post large numbers of stories here about every little >> glitch they can find on sites using non-Linux technology, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

  1. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    Linonut wrote:

    >* Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> That's not his implied point.
    >>
    >> Certain people post large numbers of stories here about every little
    >> glitch they can find on sites using non-Linux technology, and they
    >> implicitly argue that Linux sites do not every have those kind of
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> His implicit point is that they are wrong (and that, therefore, those
    >> posts about non-Linux technologies are off topic here).

    >
    >Congratulations. You have just become the mouth-piece for an
    >idiot/troll.


    Exactly. What a nitwit. Another ridiculous "advocates think Linux is
    perfect" troll. Another "stop saying bad things about Micro$oft"
    troll.


  2. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:43:08 -0700
    :
    > In article ,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> > Were you trying to make some kind of point?

    >>
    >> The implied point is presumably that, since Netflix was
    >> using Apache, that everyone should immediately switch
    >> to IIS 6, of course, in order to avoid this particular
    >> problem.

    >
    > That's not his implied point.
    >
    > Certain people post large numbers of stories here about every little
    > glitch they can find on sites using non-Linux technology, and they
    > implicitly argue that Linux sites do not every have those kind of
    > problems.
    >
    > His implicit point is that they are wrong (and that, therefore, those
    > posts about non-Linux technologies are off topic here).
    >


    Of course they are wrong. Only Windows is perfect.
    Just ask their marketing department. ;-)

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  3. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:40:44 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> > Were you trying to make some kind of point?
    >>>
    >>> The implied point is presumably that, since Netflix was
    >>> using Apache, that everyone should immediately switch
    >>> to IIS 6, of course, in order to avoid this particular
    >>> problem.

    >>
    >> That's not his implied point.
    >>
    >> Certain people post large numbers of stories here about every little
    >> glitch they can find on sites using non-Linux technology, and they
    >> implicitly argue that Linux sites do not every have those kind of
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> His implicit point is that they are wrong (and that, therefore, those
    >> posts about non-Linux technologies are off topic here).

    >
    > Congratulations. You have just become the mouth-piece for an
    > idiot/troll.


    It's better than being a mouthpiece of a paid SPAMMER named Roy
    Schestowitz.

    That's what you are Liarnut.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.


    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    news:1429657.xFSMQxigcV@schestowitz.com...
    > ____/ 7 on Tuesday 25 March 2008 19:23 : \____
    >
    >> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Ezekiel wrote on behalf of
    >> micoshaft toe rags:
    >>
    >>> You heard it here first.

    >>
    >> So what are you trying to tell us?
    >> Were you involved / sponsored by micoshaft to carry out the
    >> attacks. How did you receive the news, and how did those
    >> that you say supplied you with information get to hear of it.
    >> Is is possible that at the end of a long chain of questions,
    >> some micoshaft zealots are involved in all of this?

    >
    > Someone call the Downtime Police. As it turns out, not a single site on
    > the Web
    > has a 100.00% uptime. The shock! The horror!!111


    Seems that you get your panties all bunched up anytime there's a problem
    with a Microsoft website somewhere. Obviously this outage was serious enough
    that Netflix is now refunding customers.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080326/...20WRK2xX4jtBAF

    Netflix will credit customers for outage
    By AMANDA FEHD, Associated Press Writer 31 minutes ago

    SAN FRANCISCO - Online DVD rental leader Netflix Inc. said Wednesday it will
    provide a 5 percent credit on the monthly bills of customers affected by its
    Monday outage.




    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.88 1.07 1.45 2/137 6931
    > http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative




    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.


  6. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.


  7. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    In article ,
    chrisv wrote:
    > Exactly. What a nitwit. Another ridiculous "advocates think Linux is
    > perfect" troll. Another "stop saying bad things about Micro$oft"
    > troll.


    When someone says "X is bad because it does Y", and they are advocating
    Z, that is an implicit argument that Z does not do Y.


    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Exactly. What a nitwit. Another ridiculous "advocates think Linux is
    >> perfect" troll. Another "stop saying bad things about Micro$oft"
    >> troll.

    >
    >When someone says "X is bad because it does Y", and they are advocating
    >Z, that is an implicit argument that Z does not do Y.


    Guffaw. Nice logic. Unfortunately, doesn't change the fact that my
    analysis was correct.


  9. Re: Millions of customers stranded as Netflix.com (Apache) site goes down.

    On 2008-03-25, 7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Ezekiel wrote on behalf of
    > micoshaft toe rags:
    >
    >> You heard it here first.

    >
    > So what are you trying to tell us?


    Mebbe Netflix doesn't believe in load balancers.

    It wouldn't surprise me. I interviewed with their CTO once and
    I thought he was on crack. If Netflix was down I wouldn't expect
    it to be an apache problem though. I would expect it to be some
    hairbrained idea gone horribly wrong.

    > Were you involved / sponsored by micoshaft to carry out the
    > attacks. How did you receive the news, and how did those
    > that you say supplied you with information get to hear of it.
    > Is is possible that at the end of a long chain of questions,
    > some micoshaft zealots are involved in all of this?
    >



    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \
    That way leads to lawyers and business megacorps and credit cards!

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2