[News] Microsoft Will Try to Milk the Gnu and Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Will Try to Milk the Gnu and Linux - Linux ; Don't wanna pay for Linux? Beware of software patents ,----[ Quote ] | Do you really want to wake up one morning and pay Microsoft or SUN royalties | to have the right to use Linux on each of your ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Will Try to Milk the Gnu and Linux

    Don't wanna pay for Linux? Beware of software patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Do you really want to wake up one morning and pay Microsoft or SUN royalties
    | to have the right to use Linux on each of your boxes? Probably not. However,
    | if companies continue playing the little game of open source vs. software
    | patenting, that time might come much sooner than you think.
    |
    | Take Microsoft for instance, they have a great code repository called
    | CodePlex, one of their show-rooms for open source development advocacy.
    | Except that in the last months, developers have lost their ability to license
    | their code under the GPLv3. As we've shown earlier, Microsoft don’t like the
    | GPLv3 because it provides protection against software patenting.
    |
    | The latest victim to date is MySQL who has always had a very strong stance
    | against software patent. But like Icarus flying too closely from the sun,
    | MySQL burned its wings: their anti-patent manifesto has abruptly disappeared
    | from their site. (The complete story here).
    `----

    http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/0...he-ip-law.html

    GPLv3. GPLv3. GPLv3.

    Related:

    Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
    | partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
    | Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations.
    `----

    FSF Says GPLv3 Means Microsoft Patent Protection for All

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's covenant not to sue users of Novell's SUSE Linux
    | Enterprise will be extended to all General Public License v3
    | users as soon as Novell includes GPLv3 code within its Linux
    | distribution, according to the Free Software Foundation.
    `----

    http://www.computerwire.com/industri...5-9939E5829EFC

    Microsoft Strikes GPLv3 Software From Linspire Patent Deal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says software that's licensed under a new version of a popular open
    | source license isn't covered by the patent protection deal it recently signed
    | with desktop Linux distributor Linspire. *
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=201001836

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Will Try to Milk the Gnu and Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Don't wanna pay for Linux? Beware of software patents
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Do you really want to wake up one morning and pay Microsoft or SUN
    > | royalties to have the right to use Linux on each of your boxes? Probably
    > | not. However,
    > | if companies continue playing the little game of open source vs.
    > | software patenting, that time might come much sooner than you think.
    > |
    > | Take Microsoft for instance, they have a great code repository called
    > | CodePlex, one of their show-rooms for open source development advocacy.
    > | Except that in the last months, developers have lost their ability to
    > | license their code under the GPLv3. As we've shown earlier, Microsoft
    > | don?t like the GPLv3 because it provides protection against software
    > | patenting.
    > |
    > | The latest victim to date is MySQL who has always had a very strong
    > | stance
    > | against software patent. But like Icarus flying too closely from the
    > | sun, MySQL burned its wings: their anti-patent manifesto has abruptly
    > | disappeared from their site. (The complete story here).
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/0...he-ip-law.html

    I wonder how long it will be before MySQL, the gpl version, get's forked?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Will Try to Milk the Gnu and Linux

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 23 March 2008 22:41 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Don't wanna pay for Linux? Beware of software patents
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Do you really want to wake up one morning and pay Microsoft or SUN
    >> | royalties to have the right to use Linux on each of your boxes? Probably
    >> | not. However,
    >> | if companies continue playing the little game of open source vs.
    >> | software patenting, that time might come much sooner than you think.
    >> |
    >> | Take Microsoft for instance, they have a great code repository called
    >> | CodePlex, one of their show-rooms for open source development advocacy.
    >> | Except that in the last months, developers have lost their ability to
    >> | license their code under the GPLv3. As we've shown earlier, Microsoft
    >> | don?t like the GPLv3 because it provides protection against software
    >> | patenting.
    >> |
    >> | The latest victim to date is MySQL who has always had a very strong
    >> | stance
    >> | against software patent. But like Icarus flying too closely from the
    >> | sun, MySQL burned its wings: their anti-patent manifesto has abruptly
    >> | disappeared from their site. (The complete story here).
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/0...he-ip-law.html
    >>

    > I wonder how long it will be before MySQL, the gpl version, get's forked?

    Sun will have to play nice, knowing that it could lose many customers to a
    company that revolves around a fork. The beauty of the GPL is that it /forces/
    companies to behave. If they mistreat customers, they'll get even /more/
    competition. In MySQL, the "My" means the customer's.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No Makefile, no business
    Tasks: 111 total, 1 running, 110 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie