[News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way - Linux ; Microsoft facing yet another antitrust suit ,----[ Quote ] | Wacko conspiracy and sour grapes? Not really, as there's a smoking gun [PDF] | in this case, a 1994 email from Bill Gates that outlines just such a plan to ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way

    Microsoft facing yet another antitrust suit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wacko conspiracy and sour grapes? Not really, as there's a smoking gun [PDF]
    | in this case, a 1994 email from Bill Gates that outlines just such a plan to
    | withhold the technical information from competitors, noting that their
    | products were superior to Microsoft's and that, well, cheating was the only
    | way that Microsoft could compete.
    `----

    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/87201

    Good to see Grouchy's Web site (exhibits mirror) getting cited to show
    Microsoft for the criminal it is. Watch Novell licking the Microsoft boot, as
    usual:

    Novell champions open software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps the biggest shock walking into the exhibitors room at Novell Inc.'s
    | annual conference last week in Salt Lake City was the very prominent booth of
    | Microsoft, emblazoned with the slogan "Interoperability."
    `----

    http://www.sltrib.com/technology/ci_8662554

    Quote for the day:

    "Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
    great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
    fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

    --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

    Related:

    Gates deposition videos

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Boies: Do you remember that in January, 1996, a lot of OEMs were
    | bundling non-Microsoft browsers?
    |
    | Gates: I'm not sure.
    |
    | Boies: What were the non-Microsoft browsers that you were
    | concerned about in January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: What's the question? You're trying to get me to recall
    | what other browsers I was thinking about when I wrote that sentence?
    |
    | Boies: No, because you've told me that you don't know what you
    | were thinking about when you wrote that sentence.
    |
    | Gates: Right.
    |
    | Boies: What I'm trying to do is get you to tell me what
    | non-Microsoft browsers you were concerned about in January of
    | 1996. If it had been only one, I probably would have used the
    | name of it. Instead I seem to be using the term non-Microsoft
    | browsers. My question is what non-Microsoft browsers were you
    | concerned about in January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: I'm sure -- what's the question? Is it -- are you asking
    | me about when I wrote this e-mail or what are you asking me about?
    |
    | Boies: I'm asking you about January of 1996.
    |
    | Gates: That month?
    |
    | Boies: Yes, sir.
    |
    | Gates: And what about it?
    |
    | Boies: What non-Microsoft browsers were you concerned about in
    | January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: I don't know what you mean "concerned."
    |
    | Boies: What is it about the word "concerned" that you don't
    | understand?
    |
    | Gates: I'm not sure what you mean by it.
    `----

    http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/w..._depositio.php

    Gates Deposition Audio and Video

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/i...page=GatesDepo

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX02991.pdf

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft facing yet another antitrust suit
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wacko conspiracy and sour grapes? Not really, as there's a smoking
    > | gun [PDF]

    Here's the plain text transcription:

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...PLEX0_5673.txt

    [quote]
    Its time for a decision on iShellBrowser

    [...]

    I have decided that we should not publish these extensions. We should
    wait until we have a way to do a high level of integration that will
    give Office a real advantage.

    [...]

    We can't compete with Lotus and Wordperfect/Novell without this. Our
    goal is to have Office'96 sell better because of the shell integration work
    [quote]

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:01:01 up 93 days, 22:36, 5 users, load average: 0.10, 0.06, 0.01

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way

    * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Here's the plain text transcription:
    >
    > http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...PLEX0_5673.txt
    >
    > [quote]
    > Its time for a decision on iShellBrowser
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > I have decided that we should not publish these extensions. We should
    > wait until we have a way to do a high level of integration that will
    > give Office a real advantage.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > We can't compete with Lotus and Wordperfect/Novell without this. Our
    > goal is to have Office'96 sell better because of the shell integration work
    > [quote]

    We need to allow for innovation in both Office and Windows, even if
    this makes the line between them hard to draw.

    --
    Bill Gates is a very rich man today ... and do you want to know why? The answer
    is one word: versions.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Antitrust Lawsuit Coming Microsoft's Way

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Microsoft facing yet another antitrust suit
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wacko conspiracy and sour grapes? Not really, as there's a smoking gun
    > [PDF]
    > | in this case, a 1994 email from Bill Gates that outlines just such a
    > plan to
    > | withhold the technical information from competitors, noting that their
    > | products were superior to Microsoft's and that, well, cheating was the
    > only
    > | way that Microsoft could compete.
    > `----
    >
    > http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/87201

    An email from 1994. That's 14 years ago.

    Ever hear of this little thing called the statute of limitations?