[News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier - Linux ; Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and action ,----[ Quote ] | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux. | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it clearly | illustrates ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    action

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
    | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it clearly
    | illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes through when it
    | installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu or a derivative, just
    | looking at the installer screenies gives a nice story arc to a generic Linux
    | install.
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03...alls-now-with/

    Why even install anything when appliances exist?

    Virtual Appliance Company Streamlines Access to Open Source Applications

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "In a nutshell, JumpBox Open brings simplicity, selection and time savings to
    | the world of Open Source software," said Kimbro Staken, JumpBox Co-founder
    | and CEO. "Because JumpBoxes make it so simple to deploy applications, JumpBox
    | Open provides easy solutions to most any business application requirements."
    |
    | There are 20 JumpBoxes currently available, and over 50 more scheduled by the
    | end of 2008. Current applications include: Alfresco, Bugzilla, Cacti,
    | DokuWiki, Drupal, Joomla!, Mantis, MediaWiki, MoinMoin, OTRS, phpBB, TWiki,
    | Trac/Subversion, vTiger CRM and WordPress.
    `----

    http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/524069_p.htm

    Related:

    Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
    | for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
    | opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
    | immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop. *
    |
    | I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
    `----

    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

    The day of the Linux desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
    | in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
    | at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
    | State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
    | even a week. It's just one day. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/120727

    Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows - 40 Minutes
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Linux - 2 Minutes
    |
    | While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
    | turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
    | well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
    | Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
    | number. * *
    `----

    http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

    How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
    |
    | 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
    |
    | 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
    |
    | 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
    | * * to me.”
    |
    | 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
    | * * orange.”
    |
    | 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
    `----

    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how...nical-support/

    Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
    | installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
    | systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
    | the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
    | hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
    | there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
    | applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
    | more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with. * * *
    `----

    http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/1...all-is-easier/

    Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
    maintain

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
    | where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
    | wanted to test it.
    `----

    http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is...r-than-windows

    Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
    `----

    http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

    [Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
    | people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
    | drive for a dual-boot. *I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
    | beta, it works very well and is very stable. *So, if you are running a
    | computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
    | solution for you. * *
    `----

    http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

    Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
    | button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
    | John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
    | I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time.
    |
    | Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
    | will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
    | particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
    | use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
    | for Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://www.gulfnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=100109&sc=343

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    > action
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
    > | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it
    > | clearly illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes
    > | through when it installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu
    > | or a derivative, just looking at the installer screenies gives a nice
    > | story arc to a generic Linux install.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03/21

    flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/

    I used virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org to install Ubuntu
    in a virtual machine. The virtual Ubuntu can play MP3 files
    and youtube flash movies just fine - even though it is running
    PC EMULATION!!!

    Leaving one idle virtual machine running adds about 10% CPU overhead
    to a dual core (3800 Athlon) PC.

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    ____/ 7 on Saturday 22 March 2008 19:16 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    >> action
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
    >> | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it
    >> | clearly illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes
    >> | through when it installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu
    >> | or a derivative, just looking at the installer screenies gives a nice
    >> | story arc to a generic Linux install.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03/21

    > flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/
    >

    > I used virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org to install Ubuntu
    > in a virtual machine. The virtual Ubuntu can play MP3 files
    > and youtube flash movies just fine - even though it is running
    > PC EMULATION!!!
    >
    > Leaving one idle virtual machine running adds about 10% CPU overhead
    > to a dual core (3800 Athlon) PC.

    Dual core, eh? I never tried these. I assume these are useful only for programs
    that are build to require hardware 'upgrades'. I'm happy with primitive
    sub-2GHz single cores.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
    Tasks: 111 total, 1 running, 110 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ 7 on Saturday 22 March 2008 19:16 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    >>> action
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03/21

    >> flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/
    >>

    >> I used virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org to install Ubuntu
    >> in a virtual machine. The virtual Ubuntu can play MP3 files
    >> and youtube flash movies just fine - even though it is running
    >> PC EMULATION!!!
    >>
    >> Leaving one idle virtual machine running adds about 10% CPU overhead
    >> to a dual core (3800 Athlon) PC.

    > Dual core, eh? I never tried these. I assume these are useful only for programs
    > that are build to require hardware 'upgrades'. I'm happy with primitive
    > sub-2GHz single cores.

    That's very impressive, though. I've a dual-core 2.4 G machine, it's
    like greased lightning...

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 23:11 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ 7 on Saturday 22 March 2008 19:16 : \____

    >>> flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/
    >>>

    >>> I used virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org to install Ubuntu
    >>> in a virtual machine. The virtual Ubuntu can play MP3 files
    >>> and youtube flash movies just fine - even though it is running
    >>> PC EMULATION!!!
    >>>
    >>> Leaving one idle virtual machine running adds about 10% CPU overhead
    >>> to a dual core (3800 Athlon) PC.

    >> Dual core, eh? I never tried these. I assume these are useful only for
    >> programs that are build to require hardware 'upgrades'. I'm happy with
    >> primitive sub-2GHz single cores.
    >>

    > That's very impressive, though. I've a dual-core 2.4 G machine, it's
    > like greased lightning...

    I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I could use more than 256 MB of RAM
    at home, but that only becomes an issue after a long uptime (sometimes
    months), in which case memory leaks get aggregated and a lot of swapping is
    needed.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
    Cpu(s): 25.1%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.4%id, 4.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 23:11 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ 7 on Saturday 22 March 2008 19:16 : \____

    >>> Dual core, eh? I never tried these. I assume these are useful only for
    >>> programs that are build to require hardware 'upgrades'. I'm happy with
    >>> primitive sub-2GHz single cores.
    >>>

    >> That's very impressive, though. I've a dual-core 2.4 G machine, it's
    >> like greased lightning...

    > I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I could use more than 256 MB of RAM
    > at home, but that only becomes an issue after a long uptime (sometimes
    > months), in which case memory leaks get aggregated and a lot of swapping is
    > needed.

    I've never been one for being at the bleeding edge. It's an expensive
    game, and never-ending. Linux, by virtue of its modularity and code
    quality, is extremely efficient, and what's more, as the code bases
    improve in design, what tends to happen is that later versions of large
    packages (eg., kde, firefox, even the kernel itself) tend to be leaner
    and faster in later versions.

    I'm hoping that the openoffice.org folk manage to look at efficiency and
    modularity in their code base in due course.

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 31 March 2008 07:54 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 23:11 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> That's very impressive, though. I've a dual-core 2.4 G machine, it's
    >>> like greased lightning...

    >> I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I could use more than 256 MB of
    >> RAM at home, but that only becomes an issue after a long uptime (sometimes
    >> months), in which case memory leaks get aggregated and a lot of swapping is
    >> needed.
    >>

    > I've never been one for being at the bleeding edge. It's an expensive
    > game, and never-ending. Linux, by virtue of its modularity and code
    > quality, is extremely efficient, and what's more, as the code bases
    > improve in design, what tends to happen is that later versions of large
    > packages (eg., kde, firefox, even the kernel itself) tend to be leaner
    > and faster in later versions.
    >
    > I'm hoping that the openoffice.org folk manage to look at efficiency and
    > modularity in their code base in due course.

    KDE 3 seems to have remains quite constant and KDE 4 is no resource pig. About
    Firefox, I know it leaks _a lot_ less (IE is the worst in the regard, with
    Safari doing badly too) and is claimed to be fast, but I wonder how they set
    the RAM tradeoffs... you know, caching of pagse and other considerations that
    don't necessary adjust themselves dynamically to the available portion of RAM.
    Mozilla probably will assume more modern hardware.

    In KNode, I have great RAM imbalance sometimes because holding the index of
    200,000 posts in RAM (all at the same) time requires a more decent machines...
    that's why I post to COLA in a bursty fashion.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
    Tasks: 119 total, 1 running, 118 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie