cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux ; "DFS" wrote in message news:2t7Fj.13691$%15.11236@bignews7.bellsouth.net. .. > thad05 finds it "interesting that I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable posters. There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't strike me ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 111

  1. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:2t7Fj.13691$%15.11236@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..

    > thad05 finds it "interesting that

    I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable posters.
    There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't strike me as one
    of them.

    > success for MS has now essentially been redefined from 'crushing Linux' to
    > 'holding off the mass migration'."

    Success for Microsoft is finding the answer to the question "Where do we go
    from here." They already control 90-something percent of the desktop and a
    huge chunk of the server space. For companies it's all about growth, growth
    and more growth. So where do they go from here and what do they do next?
    They pretty much dominate every space they compete in (Office, OS) and need
    something to continue growing revenue.

    > Wake me when it's over.

    You can wake up now. It's over and Microsoft won.

  2. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    wrote:
    > Of course there will not be a mass migration...

  3. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "DFS" writes:

    > josh fickler wrote:
    >> "DFS" wrote in message
    >> news:2t7Fj.13691$%15.11236@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>
    >>> thad05 finds it "interesting that

    >> I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable
    >> posters. There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't
    >> strike me as one of them.

    > Not in the past, but suddenly he's become a real wackjob:

    He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    shunning Linux -- they should and they scream and they call Windows
    users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    --
    * JHM wonders what Joey did to earn "I'd just like to say, for the record,
    that Joey rules."

  4. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> josh fickler wrote:
    >>> "DFS" wrote in message
    >>> news:2t7Fj.13691$%15.11236@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable
    >>> posters. There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't
    >>> strike me as one of them.

    >> Not in the past, but suddenly he's become a real wackjob:

    > He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    > adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    > indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    > Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    > feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    > shunning Linux --

    > they should and they scream and they call Windows
    > users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    > looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They
    keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase)
    how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they need to reinstall Windows
    every month for it to run well.

    There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems so if
    the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no more having to
    reinstall Windows every month then most people don't need that benefit. They
    aren't having this problem so what exactly is the point of dropping
    everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    >> * quoting studies claiming OpenOffice has 17% of the enterprise market,
    >> and
    >> 20% of the home market
    >> * MS is fighting to hold off a "mass migration" to Linux

    >>> You can wake up now. It's over and Microsoft won.

    >> cola never got the news. Their heads were up their...
    >>

    > --
    > * JHM wonders what Joey did to earn "I'd just like to say, for the record,
    > that Joey rules."
    > -- Seen on #Debian

  5. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "josh fickler" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message

    >>> Not in the past, but suddenly he's become a real wackjob:

    >> He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    >> adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    >> indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    >> Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    >> feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    >> shunning Linux --

    >> they should and they scream and they call Windows
    >> users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    >> looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    > And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They
    > keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase)
    > how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they need to reinstall Windows
    > every month for it to run well.
    >
    > There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems so if
    > the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no more having to
    > reinstall Windows every month then most people don't need that benefit. They
    > aren't having this problem so what exactly is the point of dropping
    > everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

  6. cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05 finds it "interesting that success for MS has now essentially been
    redefined from 'crushing Linux' to 'holding off the mass migration'."

    Wake me when it's over.

  7. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    josh fickler wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in message
    > news:2t7Fj.13691$%15.11236@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >
    >> thad05 finds it "interesting that

    > I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable
    > posters. There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't
    > strike me as one of them.

    Not in the past, but suddenly he's become a real wackjob:

    * quoting studies claiming OpenOffice has 17% of the enterprise market, and
    20% of the home market
    * MS is fighting to hold off a "mass migration" to Linux

    >> Wake me when it's over.

    > You can wake up now. It's over and Microsoft won.

    cola never got the news. Their heads were up their...

  8. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    josh fickler wrote:

    > And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates.
    > They keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their
    > future userbase) how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they
    > need to reinstall Windows every month for it to run well.

    They always ignore things like these 62 pages of discussion of Linux
    freezing up

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    > There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems
    > so if the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no
    > more having to reinstall Windows every month then most people don't
    > need that benefit. They aren't having this problem so what exactly is
    > the point of dropping everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    A costs savings of a few hundred dollars, of course... in exchange for:

    1) *interminable* hassles trying to use and administer Linux
    2) greatly reduced choice in the number and quality of apps
    3) no native games worth playing for more than a few minutes
    4) trying the Wine hack
    5) reduced choices in hardware

    Linux: it really is a no-brainer

  9. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:04:11 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > thad05 finds it "interesting that success for MS has now essentially been
    > redefined from 'crushing Linux' to 'holding off the mass migration'."
    >
    > Wake me when it's over.

    Every year is the year of Linux.
    FWIW I've been hearing this same story for 10 or more years and it still
    hasn't happened.
    In fact like a rocket with no fuel, it still hasn't even gotten off the
    ground.

    Linux is sitting at 0.6 percent of the desktop market or so.
    Even the BBC has it at 0.8 percent, I suspect that is high BTW.

    You'll be sleeping a long, long time at the rate Linux is going nowhere.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:02:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > "josh fickler" writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message

    >>> He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    >>> adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    >>> indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    >>> Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    >>> feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    >>> shunning Linux --

    >>> they should and they scream and they call Windows
    >>> users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    >>> looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    >> And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They
    >> keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase)
    >> how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they need to reinstall Windows
    >> every month for it to run well.
    >>
    >> There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems so if
    >> the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no more having to
    >> reinstall Windows every month then most people don't need that benefit. They
    >> aren't having this problem so what exactly is the point of dropping
    >> everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    > And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    > have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    > consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    > Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    > conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    Isn't Gregory Shearman the guy who said everyone who posts to USENET should
    read the NNTP protocol?
    Or something like that?

    --

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:30:12 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > josh fickler wrote:
    >
    >> And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates.
    >> They keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their
    >> future userbase) how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they
    >> need to reinstall Windows every month for it to run well.

    > They always ignore things like these 62 pages of discussion of Linux
    > freezing up
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >

    >> There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems
    >> so if the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no
    >> more having to reinstall Windows every month then most people don't
    >> need that benefit. They aren't having this problem so what exactly is
    >> the point of dropping everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    > A costs savings of a few hundred dollars, of course... in exchange for:
    >
    > 1) *interminable* hassles trying to use and administer Linux
    > 2) greatly reduced choice in the number and quality of apps
    > 3) no native games worth playing for more than a few minutes
    > 4) trying the Wine hack
    > 5) reduced choices in hardware
    >
    > Linux: it really is a no-brainer

    The average user is simply not interested in the Linux experience.
    They download Ubuntu or whatever, try it and dump it.
    It happens all the time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:02:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "josh fickler" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Hadron" wrote in message

    >>> And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They
    >>> keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase)
    >>> how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they need to reinstall Windows
    >>> every month for it to run well.
    >>>
    >>> There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems so if
    >>> the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no more having to
    >>> reinstall Windows every month then most people don't need that benefit. They
    >>> aren't having this problem so what exactly is the point of dropping
    >>> everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    >> And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    >> have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    >> consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    >> Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    >> conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    > Isn't Gregory Shearman the guy who said everyone who posts to USENET should
    > read the NNTP protocol?
    > Or something like that?

    Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people. It all works
    for him and meets his "needs" by all accounts. Sooooo... now that his,
    obviously low level, needs are met he advocates all development to
    stop. Typical Linux loony - all take and no give.

    --
    but look at the French. You could spell every word in
    their language phonetically using only about 6 letters

  13. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Hadron" stated in post
    fs3baf$l6b$2@registered.motzarella.org on 3/22/08 9:15 AM:

    >>> And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    >>> have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    >>> consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    >>> Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    >>> conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    >> Isn't Gregory Shearman the guy who said everyone who posts to USENET should
    >> read the NNTP protocol?
    >> Or something like that?

    > Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    > any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people. It all works
    > for him and meets his "needs" by all accounts. Sooooo... now that his,
    > obviously low level, needs are met he advocates all development to
    > stop. Typical Linux loony - all take and no give.

    I know in the discussion of UI issues Gregory is just lost... perhaps even
    more than Rick.

    If that is possible.

    --
    When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
    When God changes your mind, that's faith.

  14. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:15:10 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    >>> have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    >>> consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    >>> Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    >>> conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    >> Isn't Gregory Shearman the guy who said everyone who posts to USENET should
    >> read the NNTP protocol?
    >> Or something like that?

    > Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    > any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people. It all works
    > for him and meets his "needs" by all accounts. Sooooo... now that his,
    > obviously low level, needs are met he advocates all development to
    > stop. Typical Linux loony - all take and no give.

    I thought all the fossils like him died already?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    josh fickler wrote:

    > I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable posters.
    > There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't strike me as one
    > of them.

    Nah, I'm a nut alright... I just hide it a bit more effectively
    under a veneer of rational argument. >

    >> success for MS has now essentially been redefined from 'crushing Linux' to
    >> 'holding off the mass migration'."

    > Success for Microsoft is finding the answer to the question "Where do we go
    > from here." They already control 90-something percent of the desktop and a
    > huge chunk of the server space. For companies it's all about growth, growth
    > and more growth. So where do they go from here and what do they do next?
    > They pretty much dominate every space they compete in (Office, OS) and need
    > something to continue growing revenue.

    Personally, I don't think Linux needs to wipe out Windows to 'win' on,
    the desktop; I will be happy when it has a comfortable double digit
    slice of the install base, enough for all the hardware and software
    vendors to jump on board without hesitation. If current growth trends
    accelerate at all, that could be only a few years away.

    >> Wake me when it's over.

    > You can wake up now. It's over and Microsoft won.

    Unfortunately for Microsoft, this isn't the sort of game where you
    can stop competing once you've been declared the 'winner'. There
    was a time when Novell had 'won' the LAN/server war, until MS came
    along and drank their milkshake.

    I'm not saying Windows dominance is going implode any time soon,
    just that you should never assume the status quo will stay that
    way. Linux is a bit of a game changer. It attacks Microsoft's
    market from a variety of directions that MS is not as well
    suited to compete against. Being open source, it is largely
    immune to the 'air supply' attacks a typical competitor would
    be vulnerable to. MS isn't going away any time soon but neither
    is Linux, and in the mean time it just keeps growing.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  16. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    DFS wrote:

    > Not in the past, but suddenly he's become a real wackjob:
    >
    > * quoting studies claiming OpenOffice has 17% of the enterprise market, and
    > 20% of the home market
    > * MS is fighting to hold off a "mass migration" to Linux

    First, I didn't write those studies, so if you doubt them take it
    up with Yankee group or et al. I personally take them with a grain
    of salt also since the numbers are all over the place, but point
    remains people ARE using OpenOffice. Just because you don't see it
    in your own backyard doesn't mean the rest of the planet is the same.

    And I think you missed the context of the 'mass migration' quote.
    I'm not claiming a mass migration is about to happen. I presented
    evidence of continuing modest desktop Linux growth to counter
    claims that Linux was 'flat-lining' or 'going nowhere'. Someone
    then responded by claiming this growth was never going to lead to
    a 'mass migration'. My comment was simply pointing out how the
    goalpost had been shifted. It was basically an admission by a
    linux critic that, yes, it really is growing.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  17. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    > adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    > indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    > Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    > feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    > shunning Linux -- they should and they scream and they call Windows
    > users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    > looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    Heh. If I'm in the deep end all I have to say is, jump on in the
    water is fine. Seriously, I'm not predicting any massive surge
    of desktop Linux or implosion of Windows or even that OpenOffice
    is the ultimate Microsoft slayer. I've simply been pointing out
    the evidence that Linux is in fact continuing to grow no matter
    how many times it is declared dead. Also, OpenOffice does in fact
    have a very respectable slice of the office suite market (the
    lowest estimate I've ever seen was 6%) so claiming it is 'nowhere'
    is equally silly.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  18. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > josh fickler wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable posters.
    >> There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't strike me as one
    >> of them.

    > Nah, I'm a nut alright... I just hide it a bit more effectively
    > under a veneer of rational argument. >
    >
    >>> success for MS has now essentially been redefined from 'crushing Linux' to
    >>> 'holding off the mass migration'."

    >> Success for Microsoft is finding the answer to the question "Where do we go
    >> from here." They already control 90-something percent of the desktop and a
    >> huge chunk of the server space. For companies it's all about growth, growth
    >> and more growth. So where do they go from here and what do they do next?
    >> They pretty much dominate every space they compete in (Office, OS) and need
    >> something to continue growing revenue.

    > Personally, I don't think Linux needs to wipe out Windows to 'win' on,
    > the desktop; I will be happy when it has a comfortable double digit
    > slice of the install base, enough for all the hardware and software
    > vendors to jump on board without hesitation. If current growth trends
    > accelerate at all, that could be only a few years away.

    0.2% growth on less than 1% might take quite a long time to hit double
    figures .....

  19. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com" stated
    in post eirfb5-5up.ln1@tux.glaci.com on 3/22/08 10:17 AM:

    > josh fickler wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't view thad as a "cola nut" - He's one of the more reasonable posters.
    >> There are certainly some serious nuts here but thad doesn't strike me as one
    >> of them.

    > Nah, I'm a nut alright... I just hide it a bit more effectively
    > under a veneer of rational argument. >

    Well, you are able to use and understand rational arguments. That puts you
    well ahead of many. I do not always agree with you but I do respect you.

    >>> success for MS has now essentially been redefined from 'crushing Linux' to
    >>> 'holding off the mass migration'."

    >> Success for Microsoft is finding the answer to the question "Where do we go
    >> from here." They already control 90-something percent of the desktop and a
    >> huge chunk of the server space. For companies it's all about growth, growth
    >> and more growth. So where do they go from here and what do they do next?
    >> They pretty much dominate every space they compete in (Office, OS) and need
    >> something to continue growing revenue.

    > Personally, I don't think Linux needs to wipe out Windows to 'win' on,
    > the desktop; I will be happy when it has a comfortable double digit
    > slice of the install base, enough for all the hardware and software
    > vendors to jump on board without hesitation. If current growth trends
    > accelerate at all, that could be only a few years away.

    I would love to see MS get knocked down to 65-75% with Linux and OS X taking
    the rest of the market (or the majority of the rest)

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  20. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com" stated
    in post 4atfb5-bpr.ln1@tux.glaci.com on 3/22/08 10:47 AM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    >> adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    >> indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    >> Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    >> feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    >> shunning Linux -- they should and they scream and they call Windows
    >> users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    >> looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    > Heh. If I'm in the deep end all I have to say is, jump on in the
    > water is fine. Seriously, I'm not predicting any massive surge
    > of desktop Linux or implosion of Windows or even that OpenOffice
    > is the ultimate Microsoft slayer. I've simply been pointing out
    > the evidence that Linux is in fact continuing to grow no matter
    > how many times it is declared dead. Also, OpenOffice does in fact
    > have a very respectable slice of the office suite market (the
    > lowest estimate I've ever seen was 6%) so claiming it is 'nowhere'
    > is equally silly.

    At least in my neck of the woods OO is nowhere near 6%, at least not from
    what I have seen.

    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast