cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux ; Moshe is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart) http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html...

  1. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

  2. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:08:20 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13ub9fni0mtpp2e@news.supernews.com on 3/22/08 5:36 PM:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:39:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13ub3autolbfc6c@news.supernews.com on 3/22/08 3:51 PM:

    >>> Well, your first three words are correct.

    >> I see... you don't like "personal attacks" but they are OK for you.

    > Gee, you did not like my response to your silly insult.

    I see... you don't like "personal attacks" but they are OK for you.

    > Go cry in your coffee and then come back when you can actually state
    > what view of mine you disagree with as you belittle me in your every
    > post.

    I have told you repeatedly in different places, in different ways:

    I do not agree that "the UI" of Linux distros that I use is broken (look
    up the definition of fractured).

    I don't think there is anything wrong with distro developers placing a mix
    of Gnome and KDE in their repositories.

    I think you don't know the difference between buttons and toolbar
    bookmarks/links in browsers, and have no idea how most browsers react to a
    bookmark toolbar that has more links/bookmarks than can fit on the tool
    bar.

    I think you are (pick all that apply: too lazy, too unskilled) to roll a
    distro of your own with just KDE apps or Gnome apps.

    I think that if a person really wanted to, they could install all (or
    close enough to be of no difference) KDE or Gnome apps. (For instance I
    prefer X-Chat, but there Kopete. I prefer pan, but there is Knode. I
    prefer Gimp, but there is Krita. I prefer Open Office, but there is K
    Office. I prefer, well, even you should get the point.)

    Oh yeah, you're a pompous ass, too.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

  4. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

  5. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

  6. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

  7. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Matt wrote:
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:

    >> I'm trying to figure out if you were making a point with this or
    >> if you accidently posted before typing something. Just curious.
    >>
    >> Thad

    > It looked like DFS was claiming you were crazy because you said there
    > would be a mass migration to Linux. I quoted your post saying there
    > would not be such a mass migration.
    >
    > I simply pointed out the contradiction, leaving to the reader the
    > obvious conclusion about DFS.

    Not only did he say there is a mass migration to Linux underway, he claims
    Microsoft is currently fighting such a phenomenon, and he claims Microsoft
    now defines their success by how well they're holding off the Linux
    juggernaut ('scuse me while I chuckle...)

    It's one of those posts only a cola "advocate" would ever make: brazen in
    its brainlessness and just plain ridiculous in its disregard for reality and
    truth. It's truly Ballardesque.

    That it came from the reasonable, genial thad is a bit curious, but he made
    similar faux pas recently (quoting 20% OpenOffice usage share) and he seems
    to be slipping into bizarro world.

    It's the weekend and he's probably drinking alcohol on an empty stomach.

  8. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    > have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    > consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    > Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    > conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    More misrepresentation from the Quark Troll.

    Hey Troll... how about producing references showing that I actual stated
    what you wrote about me?

    Of course you never do... you try to weasel your way out of your
    misrepresentations as usual.

    In my opinion the Linux UI isn't "fractured". So what? For the rest of it...
    I...don't.....care.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  9. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    > any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people.

    OK wise guy. Produce the quote..... l'll leave space:

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Snit wrote:

    > "Hadron" stated in post
    > fs3baf$l6b$2@registered.motzarella.org on 3/22/08 9:15 AM:

    >>> Isn't Gregory Shearman the guy who said everyone who posts to USENET
    >>> should read the NNTP protocol?
    >>> Or something like that?

    >> Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    >> any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people. It all works
    >> for him and meets his "needs" by all accounts. Sooooo... now that his,
    >> obviously low level, needs are met he advocates all development to
    >> stop. Typical Linux loony - all take and no give.

    > I know in the discussion of UI issues Gregory is just lost... perhaps even
    > more than Rick.
    >
    > If that is possible.

    And yet you just keep wasting your time....

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    1485161.N2jk4HHuWS@netscape.net on 3/22/08 8:51 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadron" stated in post
    >> fs3baf$l6b$2@registered.motzarella.org on 3/22/08 9:15 AM:

    >>> Yes. He is also on record as saying that he doesn't want Linux getting
    >>> any better in case it attracts the wrong kind of people. It all works
    >>> for him and meets his "needs" by all accounts. Sooooo... now that his,
    >>> obviously low level, needs are met he advocates all development to
    >>> stop. Typical Linux loony - all take and no give.

    >> I know in the discussion of UI issues Gregory is just lost... perhaps even
    >> more than Rick.
    >>
    >> If that is possible.
    >>

    > And yet you just keep wasting your time....

    Trying to get you to offer a reasoned opinion or a reference to observable
    facts may very well be a waste of time - but I have an irrational faith in
    people. Maybe you can relate that to your irrational faith in Linux.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolutionary had ended up being accepted

  12. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    1650733.jYBpaivBG2@netscape.net on 3/22/08 8:50 PM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    >> have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    >> consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    >> Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    >> conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    > More misrepresentation from the Quark Troll.
    >
    > Hey Troll... how about producing references showing that I actual stated
    > what you wrote about me?
    >
    > Of course you never do... you try to weasel your way out of your
    > misrepresentations as usual.
    >
    > In my opinion the Linux UI isn't "fractured". So what? For the rest of it...
    > I...don't.....care.

    Remember: the fact that the UI of the desktop Linux distros is fractured is
    not just an opinion - it is an observable and verifiable fact. If you have
    an opinion that this is somehow wrong then you are, truly, delusional.

    Rick gets bent out of shape over the word "fractured", so if you prefer
    different wording we can cal it "pluralistic" or "a conglomeration" or a
    "mishmash" or even as a "ragbag". Any way you want to word it, though,
    desktop Linux has all sorts of arbitrary (from the user perspective) UI
    variations.

    You might be able to argue that such arbitrary variations are not
    detrimental - but then you would be arguing against a pretty large body of
    peer reviewed research, expert opinion, and even philosophy of many pretty
    big OSS projects. If you wish to take this stance, however, I am open to
    listening - maybe you will find some clever defense of arbitrary UI
    variations that has not been fully refuted.

    If nothing else it would make for a more interesting conversation than your
    dishonest denials of the fractured nature of the desktop distros - when you
    have such transparent dishonesty (ignorance?) you grow boring.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolutionary had ended up being accepted
    over Darwin's?

  13. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    DFS wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to figure out if you were making a point with this or
    >>> if you accidently posted before typing something. Just curious.
    >>>
    >>> Thad

    >> It looked like DFS was claiming you were crazy because you said there
    >> would be a mass migration to Linux. I quoted your post saying there
    >> would not be such a mass migration.
    >>
    >> I simply pointed out the contradiction, leaving to the reader the
    >> obvious conclusion about DFS.

    > Not only did he say there is a mass migration to Linux underway, he claims
    > Microsoft is currently fighting such a phenomenon, and he claims Microsoft
    > now defines their success by how well they're holding off the Linux
    > juggernaut ('scuse me while I chuckle...)
    >
    > It's one of those posts only a cola "advocate" would ever make: brazen in
    > its brainlessness and just plain ridiculous in its disregard for reality and
    > truth. It's truly Ballardesque.
    >
    > That it came from the reasonable, genial thad is a bit curious, but he made
    > similar faux pas recently (quoting 20% OpenOffice usage share) and he seems
    > to be slipping into bizarro world.
    >
    > It's the weekend and he's probably drinking alcohol on an empty stomach.

    You indicated you were going to sleep through something or other.
    Apparently you were sleeping through part of the previous thread wherein
    amicus_curious brought up the term "mass migration" and Thad referred to
    amicus_curious's use of the term and denied that there would be such a
    "mass migration". If you are going to sleep through part of a thread,
    please sleep through the whole thread. If you were not actually
    sleeping, it seems your reading comprehension isn't what it ought to be.

  14. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    josh fickler wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote...
    >
    >> Wake me when it's over.

    > You can wake up now. It's over and Microsoft won.

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...asp?edid=25529

    India Rejects Microsoft's OOXML Format
    Swapnil Bhartiya, EFY News Network
    (Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:33:23 PM)

    The BIS Committee has rejected the OOXML format.

    Thursday, March 20, 2008: The BIS LITD 15 Committee has rejected
    Microsoft's document format OOXML. According to sources, out of
    19 members, five of them did not attend the meeting, one of them
    abstained, five voted in favour of OOXML and the rest voted
    against. The meeting took place today in Delhi at the BIS office.

    Microsoft has released a statement which says, "While we are
    disappointed with the decision of the BIS LITD 15 committee, we
    are very encouraged by the support of IT industry players like
    NASSCOM, TCS, Wipro and Infosys who voted in favour of Open XML
    becoming an ISO standard. Further, the Indian government,
    industry stalwarts and trade bodies have supported multiple
    standards and technology neutrality. We will therefore continue
    to work with the government to address any concerns they may have
    and to achieve its stated goal of technology neutrality. We are
    committed to working towards what is best for the Indian IT
    industry."

    The statement is contradictory in itself where Microsoft is
    talking about neutrality. The European Union (EU) has worked
    really hard to neutralise most of Microsoft's antics. Microsoft's
    openness seems less out of desire and more out of growing power
    of FOSS movement and legal pressure by the EU. Neelie Kroes,
    Competition Commissioner, EU said last month, "Today, the
    European Commission has imposed a substantial fine, to be precise
    899 million ($1.35 billion), on Microsoft for its non-compliance
    up until 27 October 2007 with its obligations under the
    Commission's March 2004 decision to provide interoperability
    information on reasonable terms."

    Total penalties against Microsoft now stand tall at around $2.5
    billion.
    Hmmm .... I don't see a clear win ....

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6124

    or http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

    November 09, 2007
    Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft
    Government thwarts supplier's plan to install Windows XP

    By Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

    Microsoft may not have beaten French Linux vendor Mandriva in a
    large deal to supply Nigerian elementary schools with laptop
    computers and software after all.

    Mandriva had closed a deal in mid-August to provide a customised
    Linux operating system and support for 17,000 Intel Classmate PCs
    intended for Nigerian schools, but found out last week that the
    company deploying the computers for the government, Technology
    Support Center (TSC), planned to wipe the computers' disks and
    install Windows XP instead.

    Now, however, a government agency funding 11,000 of the PCs has
    overruled the supplier. Nigeria's Universal Service Provision
    Fund (USPF) wants to keep Mandriva Linux on the Classmate PCs,
    said an official who identified himself as the programme manager
    for USPF's Classmate PCs project.
    Definitely not a Microsoft "clear" win ....

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...to_google.html

    or http://snipurl.com/22eoz

    Luckovsky isn't sparing harsh words for his former employer,
    however, pointing fingers at everything from Microsoft's
    difficulties in shipping software to its users on time, to its
    policy of requiring users to validate that they have non-pirated
    versions of Windows in order to obtain fixes and downloads.

    In a blog posting dated February 12, Lucovsky railed against
    Microsoft for being unable to ship software.

    "I am not sure I believe anymore, that Microsoft 'knows how to
    ship software,'" Lucovsky wrote.

    "Microsoft is supposed to be the one that 'knows how to ship
    software,' but you (the end user) are the one doing all the heavy
    lifting. You are the one that has to ship their software the last
    mile, install it on end user machines, ensure their machines
    still work after you perform this platform level surgery," he
    continued.

    "I would argue that Microsoft used to know how to ship software,
    but the world has changed... The companies that 'know how to ship
    software' are the ones to watch. They have embraced the network,
    deeply understand the concept of 'software as a service,' and
    know how to deliver incredible value to their customers
    efficiently and quickly," Lucovsky added.

    Lucovsky wrote positively about Amazon.com's model for delivering
    new software bits to its customers.

    When Amazon makes a fix to its software, "not a single customer
    had to download a bag of bits, answer any silly questions, prove
    that they are not software thieves, reboot their computers, etc.
    The software was shipped to them, and they didn't have to lift a
    finger. Now that's what I call shipping software," Lucovsky said.
    Again, not a clear win ....

    --
    HPT
    http://groups.google.de/group/comp.o...c057abbca5831?

  15. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >> Every year is the year of Linux.
    >> FWIW I've been hearing this same story for 10 or more years and it
    >> still hasn't happened.
    >> In fact like a rocket with no fuel, it still hasn't even gotten off
    >> the ground.

    > Yup, you are right... every year IS the year of Linux. Every
    > year, Linux improves and adds more users. That is just the way
    > it works. It doesn't have to happen all at once to happen.
    >
    > Riddle me this: What exact year was The Year of The Internet?
    > Ask 10 different people and you will probably get 10 different
    > answers if even all 10 have an answer. There was a point at
    > which less than 1 percent of computer users had Internet
    > access and growth look equally small... and yet look at where
    > we are now.

    'Thing is that the growth in internet usage was born from a nescessity;
    whereas Linux usage is born from a dysfunction.

    How fast did the growth in internet users occur? Rapidly; and I would
    estimate at least 90% of computers in developed countries are internet
    connected while the number of computers in use increases by thousands
    daily - Yet still Linux only accounts for less than 1% of the desktop
    market.

    --
    http://www.kustomkomputa.co.uk
    - Personalised Desktop Computers.

  16. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> OO does not have anywhere NEAR 6% of the office suite market.

    > It seems to have 100% of 40,000 workstations in Elcot of the Tamil
    > Nadu state in India.

    So?

  17. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Where are these numbers?
    >>
    >> OO does not have anywhere NEAR 6% of the office suite market.

    > And if you believe hard enough you might also get a pony!
    >
    > Just because you aren't seeing it your back yard does not mean
    > the rest of the world is the same. I've come across some very

    I do a lot of travel and work for a wide set of people. I have been in
    IT since the late 80s and I have never ONCE seen OO in use in a
    company. I can believe its there, but your figures are simply ridiculous.

    > impressive pockets of OpenOffice. A medical billing software
    > company I did work for had it installed on all over their
    > several hundred workstations. Considering how much I've seen
    > it, I suspect it is more like between 10 and 20 percent.

    You have entered the world of Rexx.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  18. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Snit writes:

    > "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    > 1650733.jYBpaivBG2@netscape.net on 3/22/08 8:50 PM:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> And don't forget people like Gregory Shearman stating that programmers
    >>> have better things to do than "waste time" programming conforming and
    >>> consistent User Interfaces which apply the guidelines for the Desktop
    >>> Environment in question. Apparently it's "not necessary" and consistent,
    >>> conforming User Interfaces are only for idiots and sheeple.

    >> More misrepresentation from the Quark Troll.

    It's in this thread Gregory. You really are clueless.

  19. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Dr.Hal0nf1r$ wrote:

    > How fast did the growth in internet users occur? Rapidly; and I would
    > estimate at least 90% of computers in developed countries are internet
    > connected while the number of computers in use increases by thousands
    > daily - Yet still Linux only accounts for less than 1% of the desktop
    > market.

    That's only because the 'incompetent monkeys' at Microsoft are holding Linux
    back through every illegal means at their disposal.

  20. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    DFS wrote:

    > Not only did he say there is a mass migration to Linux underway, he claims
    > Microsoft is currently fighting such a phenomenon, and he claims Microsoft
    > now defines their success by how well they're holding off the Linux
    > juggernaut ('scuse me while I chuckle...)

    No, I was suggesting that amicus had redefined MS success in those
    terms (holding off mass migration). I was not in any way claiming
    that I thought a mass migration was imminent. Perhaps I was a bit
    too subtle, but I thought it was clear in the context.

    > It's one of those posts only a cola "advocate" would ever make: brazen in
    > its brainlessness and just plain ridiculous in its disregard for reality and
    > truth. It's truly Ballardesque.
    >
    > That it came from the reasonable, genial thad is a bit curious, but he made
    > similar faux pas recently (quoting 20% OpenOffice usage share) and he seems
    > to be slipping into bizarro world.

    Again, those were not my numbers, those were estimates from industry
    analysts like Yankee Group. If you have a problem with them, take it
    up with them. I suspect they've actually surveyed a bit more of the
    industry than you. I also said to take those numbers with a grain of
    salt as there is a fair bit of variance among the analysts, but even
    the lowest of them return numbers that exposes the idiocy of a claim
    like 'OpenOffice is nowhere to be found'.

    I find it interesting that you accept the numbers from hitslink without
    question when it reinforces your opinions but published studies from
    other analysts must be ridiculed when they disagree with you. What
    evidence do you have that the OpenOffice install base is as small as
    you claim? The smallest estimate I've seen is 6% and you've scoffed
    at even that. Point to something other than your own blind faith
    that says it is less than that.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.