cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux - Linux ; josh fickler wrote: > > And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They > keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase) > how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they ...

  1. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    josh fickler wrote:

    > And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates. They
    > keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their future userbase)
    > how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they need to reinstall Windows
    > every month for it to run well.

    The thing is, most advocates are not like the extreme examples you
    often find in a forum like COLA. There are plenty of rational IT
    professionals who use and advocate Linux purely on its provable
    merits. If that were not the case, Linux would proably not be
    growing (which it is).

    > There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems so if
    > the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no more having to
    > reinstall Windows every month then most people don't need that benefit. They
    > aren't having this problem so what exactly is the point of dropping
    > everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    While stability and security problems among business and enterprise
    customers are usually not as bad as spun in COLA, that it largely
    because of the work of knowledgeable tech staff. I have seen quite
    a few frustrated home users that don't have that benefit. While
    Linux is still growing slowly among home users, the largest reason
    I've found when people do decide to jump the Microsoft ship is
    escape from the threat of malware. When you are a busy parent
    without the time to become your own admin, and you have kids with
    just enough computer skills to download all the wrong stuff and
    repeatedly infect the machine, Linux begins to look rather
    attractive. I've personally converted several Windows systems to
    Linux for friends and family for exactly this reason.

    Hey, all those spam bots are coming from somewhere. The
    security/stability argument for Linux is addressing a real need
    among the Windows user base.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  2. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> He does seem to have gone off at the deep end recently. But at least he
    >> adds smileys and remains polite. And the 0.2% growth as a strong
    >> indicator of a surge ..... about one in every 500 users migrated to
    >> Linux DURING the Ubuntu hysteria. These are the facts. And I can't help
    >> feeling that COLA and its ilk are largely responsible for the Public
    >> shunning Linux -- they should and they scream and they call Windows
    >> users "retards" and claim to "doesnt work" when everyone else sits there
    >> looking blankly back wondering what on earth they are raving about.

    > Heh. If I'm in the deep end all I have to say is, jump on in the
    > water is fine. Seriously, I'm not predicting any massive surge
    > of desktop Linux or implosion of Windows or even that OpenOffice
    > is the ultimate Microsoft slayer. I've simply been pointing out
    > the evidence that Linux is in fact continuing to grow no matter
    > how many times it is declared dead. Also, OpenOffice does in fact
    > have a very respectable slice of the office suite market (the
    > lowest estimate I've ever seen was 6%) so claiming it is 'nowhere'
    > is equally silly.
    >
    > Thad

    Where are these numbers?

    OO does not have anywhere NEAR 6% of the office suite market.

    --
    I'm personally quite happy with one stable release every two years, and
    am of the opinion that trying to release more will mean we'll have to

  3. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Matt wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> thad05 finds it "interesting that success for MS has now essentially been
    >> redefined from 'crushing Linux' to 'holding off the mass migration'."
    >>
    >> Wake me when it's over.

    > wrote:
    >> Of course there will not be a mass migration...

    I'm trying to figure out if you were making a point with this or
    if you accidently posted before typing something. Just curious.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  4. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Where are these numbers?
    >
    > OO does not have anywhere NEAR 6% of the office suite market.

    And if you believe hard enough you might also get a pony!

    Just because you aren't seeing it your back yard does not mean
    the rest of the world is the same. I've come across some very
    impressive pockets of OpenOffice. A medical billing software
    company I did work for had it installed on all over their
    several hundred workstations. Considering how much I've seen
    it, I suspect it is more like between 10 and 20 percent.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  5. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:30:12 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> josh fickler wrote:
    >>
    >>> And *this* IMO is the biggest problem with most of these advocates.
    >>> They keep telling the "retards, scum and mindless sheep" (their
    >>> future userbase) how Windows will BSOD every half-hour and how they
    >>> need to reinstall Windows every month for it to run well.

    >> They always ignore things like these 62 pages of discussion of Linux
    >> freezing up
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>

    >>> There is virtually nobody who actually has these imaginary problems
    >>> so if the "benefit" of switching to linux is no more BSOD's and no
    >>> more having to reinstall Windows every month then most people don't
    >>> need that benefit. They aren't having this problem so what exactly is
    >>> the point of dropping everything and starting from scratch with linux?

    >> A costs savings of a few hundred dollars, of course... in exchange for:
    >>
    >> 1) *interminable* hassles trying to use and administer Linux
    >> 2) greatly reduced choice in the number and quality of apps
    >> 3) no native games worth playing for more than a few minutes
    >> 4) trying the Wine hack
    >> 5) reduced choices in hardware
    >>
    >> Linux: it really is a no-brainer

    > The average user is simply not interested in the Linux experience.
    > They download Ubuntu or whatever, try it and dump it.
    > It happens all the time.

    I bet most don't even install it. People are just lazey and want it all
    done for them. They'll stick with something familiar.

    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Microshaft zealot denies a "mass migration" to Linux

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > thad05 finds it "interesting that success for MS has now essentially been
    > redefined from 'crushing Linux' to 'holding off the mass migration'."
    >
    > Wake me when it's over.

    Its over!

    Linux expanding at the rate of 1 million+ desktop PCs per month
    while embedded Linux is selling 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY!!!

    More reasons to switch to Linux

    All free to copy and install on as many machines as you see fit.
    Comes with source code too....
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com
    I think its time for DFS to try Linux and evangelise Linux instead of
    low quality pay to use software like windopws crap.

  7. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:06:14 GMT, dick blisters wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> They always ignore things like these 62 pages of discussion of Linux
    >>> freezing up
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >>> A costs savings of a few hundred dollars, of course... in exchange for:
    >>>
    >>> 1) *interminable* hassles trying to use and administer Linux
    >>> 2) greatly reduced choice in the number and quality of apps
    >>> 3) no native games worth playing for more than a few minutes
    >>> 4) trying the Wine hack
    >>> 5) reduced choices in hardware
    >>>
    >>> Linux: it really is a no-brainer

    >> The average user is simply not interested in the Linux experience.
    >> They download Ubuntu or whatever, try it and dump it.
    >> It happens all the time.
    >>

    > I bet most don't even install it. People are just lazey and want it all
    > done for them. They'll stick with something familiar.
    >

    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Probably.
    Most of these Linux distributions come as Live CDs and after the user tries
    a couple and *expereinces Linux* it's doubtful they will actually install
    the thing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Mar 22, 3:48*pm, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:06:14 GMT, dick blisters wrote:
    > > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    > >> The average user is simply not interested in the Linux experience.
    > >> They download Ubuntu or whatever, try it and dump it.
    > >> It happens all the time.

    > > I bet most don't even install it. People *are just lazey and want it all
    > > done for them. They'll stick with something familiar.

    > >> Moshe Goldfarb
    > >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    > >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    > >>http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Probably.
    > Most of these Linux distributions come as Live CDs and after the user tries
    > a couple and *expereinces Linux* it's doubtful they will actually install
    > the thing.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

    I'll try anything to avoid Indian helpdesks

  9. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Haha...!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> thad05 finds it "interesting that success for MS has now essentially been
    >>> redefined from 'crushing Linux' to 'holding off the mass migration'."
    >>>
    >>> Wake me when it's over.

    >> wrote:
    >>> Of course there will not be a mass migration...

    > I'm trying to figure out if you were making a point with this or
    > if you accidently posted before typing something. Just curious.
    >
    > Thad

    It looked like DFS was claiming you were crazy because you said there
    would be a mass migration to Linux. I quoted your post saying there
    would not be such a mass migration.

    I simply pointed out the contradiction, leaving to the reader the
    obvious conclusion about DFS.

  11. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Every year is the year of Linux.
    > FWIW I've been hearing this same story for 10 or more years and it still
    > hasn't happened.
    > In fact like a rocket with no fuel, it still hasn't even gotten off the
    > ground.

    Yup, you are right... every year IS the year of Linux. Every
    year, Linux improves and adds more users. That is just the way
    it works. It doesn't have to happen all at once to happen.

    Riddle me this: What exact year was The Year of The Internet?
    Ask 10 different people and you will probably get 10 different
    answers if even all 10 have an answer. There was a point at
    which less than 1 percent of computer users had Internet
    access and growth look equally small... and yet look at where
    we are now.

    > Linux is sitting at 0.6 percent of the desktop market or so.
    > Even the BBC has it at 0.8 percent, I suspect that is high BTW.
    >
    > You'll be sleeping a long, long time at the rate Linux is going nowhere.

    There's that 'going nowhere' spin again, even though the evidence
    undeniably says otherwise.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  12. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > OO does not have anywhere NEAR 6% of the office suite market.

    It seems to have 100% of 40,000 workstations in Elcot of the Tamil Nadu
    state in India.

  13. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > 0.2% growth on less than 1% might take quite a long time to hit double
    > figures .....

    First off, that assumes the 0.2% is accurate, when it is only one
    sample and pretty much the lowest one available. It also assumes
    there will be no network effect increasing the rate of expansion.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  14. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Snit wrote:

    >> Nah, I'm a nut alright... I just hide it a bit more effectively
    >> under a veneer of rational argument. >

    > Well, you are able to use and understand rational arguments. That puts you
    > well ahead of many. I do not always agree with you but I do respect you.

    Thanks. I've appreciated your oppinions also even when I don't
    completely agree with them.

    > I would love to see MS get knocked down to 65-75% with Linux and OS X taking
    > the rest of the market (or the majority of the rest)

    I'll drink to that.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  15. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    Matt wrote:

    > It looked like DFS was claiming you were crazy because you said there
    > would be a mass migration to Linux. I quoted your post saying there
    > would not be such a mass migration.
    >
    > I simply pointed out the contradiction, leaving to the reader the
    > obvious conclusion about DFS.

    Ah, thanks. I think my quote was actually in response to his,
    so I'm not sure that was completely clear from the context of
    the thread. I'll be generous and assume DFS misinterpreted my
    reference to someone else's use of the term 'mass migration' as
    professing that I thought such a migration was imminent.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  16. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:21:41 -0500, thad05 wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> 0.2% growth on less than 1% might take quite a long time to hit double
    >> figures .....

    > First off, that assumes the 0.2% is accurate, when it is only one sample
    > and pretty much the lowest one available. It also assumes there will be
    > no network effect increasing the rate of expansion.

    I don't think Quark and Snit understand network effects.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> It looked like DFS was claiming you were crazy because you said there
    >> would be a mass migration to Linux. I quoted your post saying there
    >> would not be such a mass migration.
    >>
    >> I simply pointed out the contradiction, leaving to the reader the
    >> obvious conclusion about DFS.

    > Ah, thanks. I think my quote was actually in response to his,

    The term "mass migration" was brought up by amicus_curious.

    > so I'm not sure that was completely clear from the context of
    > the thread. I'll be generous and assume DFS misinterpreted my
    > reference to someone else's use of the term 'mass migration' as
    > professing that I thought such a migration was imminent.
    >
    > Thad

    I should have included a reference:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....64390e833cb26d

  18. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13ub3autolbfc6c@news.supernews.com
    on 3/22/08 3:51 PM:

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:21:41 -0500, thad05 wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 0.2% growth on less than 1% might take quite a long time to hit double
    >>> figures .....

    >> First off, that assumes the 0.2% is accurate, when it is only one sample
    >> and pretty much the lowest one available. It also assumes there will be
    >> no network effect increasing the rate of expansion.
    >>

    > I don't think Quark and Snit understand network effects.

    Well, your first three words are correct.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

  19. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:39:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13ub3autolbfc6c@news.supernews.com on 3/22/08 3:51 PM:

    >>> First off, that assumes the 0.2% is accurate, when it is only one
    >>> sample and pretty much the lowest one available. It also assumes
    >>> there will be no network effect increasing the rate of expansion.
    >>>

    >> I don't think Quark and Snit understand network effects.

    > Well, your first three words are correct.

    I see... you don't like "personal attacks" but they are OK for you.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: cola nut sees a "mass migration" to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13ub9fni0mtpp2e@news.supernews.com
    on 3/22/08 5:36 PM:

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:39:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13ub3autolbfc6c@news.supernews.com on 3/22/08 3:51 PM:

    >>> I don't think Quark and Snit understand network effects.

    >> Well, your first three words are correct.

    > I see... you don't like "personal attacks" but they are OK for you.

    Gee, you did not like my response to your silly insult.

    Go cry in your coffee and then come back when you can actually state what
    view of mine you disagree with as you belittle me in your every post.

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson