Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality) - Linux ; On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > [There are reports about people misusing Internet cafes that are based on > Windows, but here's a case where jail is considered:] > > Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > [There are reports about people misusing Internet cafes that are based on
    > Windows, but here's a case where jail is considered:]
    >
    > Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer Fraud
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A 21-year-old could face up to 10 years in prison in the U.S. after pleading
    >| guilty to installing advertising software on PCs located around Europe
    >| without permission.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    from compromising your server.

    You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

  2. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> [There are reports about people misusing Internet cafes that are based on
    >> Windows, but here's a case where jail is considered:]
    >>
    >> Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer Fraud
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A 21-year-old could face up to 10 years in prison in the U.S. after pleading
    >>| guilty to installing advertising software on PCs located around Europe
    >>| without permission.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    >Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    >from compromising your server.
    >
    >You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    >server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?

    Fsckwit.

  3. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    ____/ chrisv on Friday 21 March 2008 16:19 : \____

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> [There are reports about people misusing Internet cafes that are based on
    >>> Windows, but here's a case where jail is considered:]
    >>>
    >>> Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer Fraud
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    >>Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    >>from compromising your server.
    >>
    >>You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    >>server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    > Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?
    >
    > Fsckwit.

    The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7 years.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"

  4. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ chrisv on Friday 21 March 2008 16:19 : \____
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>>Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop
    >>>hackers
    >>>from compromising your server.
    >>>
    >>>You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    >>>server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    >> Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?
    >>
    >> Fsckwit.

    > The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7
    > years.

    It's the classic "Linux is just the kernel" excuse.

    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.13 0.43 0.61 1/137 28766
    > http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative

  5. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:53:27 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:01:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> [There are reports about people misusing Internet cafes that are based on
    >> Windows, but here's a case where jail is considered:]
    >>
    >> Hacker Pleads Guilty to Computer Fraud
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A 21-year-old could face up to 10 years in prison in the U.S. after pleading
    >>| guilty to installing advertising software on PCs located around Europe
    >>| without permission.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    > Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    > from compromising your server.
    >
    > You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    > server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    Outside of comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz is considered a loony
    toon.
    A joke.
    A nutball.

    Here is what digg users have to say about Roy Schestowitz, and this is only
    a very small sampling:

    http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_h...y_on_ODF_OOXML

    You got a -119 rating, that's what happened.

    Some comments:

    "sure schestowitz, Microsoft pays people to attack you, yeah yeah..."

    " Please, stop making up stuff, if somebody posts lame comment using your
    name on usenet it doesn't mean that it's "paid by M$" to attack you, maybe
    it's people pissed by your endless attacks to microsoft (you know... not
    everybody hates microsoft like you do, like there are people that love
    apple there are also people that love microsoft)."

    "Someone forgot their OCD meds today."

    "It wouldn't be unthinkable that you post crap under your own name, so that
    you can then say you're being targeted by MS 'posting under' your name.
    It's not a new tactic used by people who want to discredit someone else."

    " hate to say that, but you're a tinfoil wearing conspiracy nut, that
    believes that Microsoft is paying people to attack you. Here is a quote by
    yourself "(...) I wish it weren't the truth, but I'm being targeted." It's
    funny how you don't even read most of the articles that you're digging,
    instead you just jump into any MS-related article and insert your silly,
    taken out of context quotes.

    I hope that more people will notice this and ignore your crazy comments.
    You're really putting the Linux community in a bad light, and true Linux
    users are sure to thank you for your disservice. "

    " That comment was ridiculously long, if you've got *that* much to say then
    post it as it's own article. Or does the chip that the Microsoft agents
    planted in your brain prevent you from doing that? "

    And my personal favorite:

    "schestowitz is to Linux as Pat Robertson is to Christianity.
    He drives away more people than he converts. "

    So yea Roy, you really are a loony toon and the people on other sites have
    you all figured out.

    No wonder you rarely post comments on digg anymore.

    It hasn't stopped your SPAMMING activities though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:34:18 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ chrisv on Friday 21 March 2008 16:19 : \____
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>>Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    >>>from compromising your server.
    >>>
    >>>You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    >>>server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    >> Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?
    >>
    >> Fsckwit.

    > The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7 years.

    Linux is a collection of everything that runs on it, just as Windows is a
    collection of everything that runs on it.

    The point was, you claimed that your site was hacked by another account,
    that means they had to get root access to access other accounts, that means
    a root privilege escalation.

    I wonder how that happened.

  7. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:47:23 -0400, josh fickler wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ chrisv on Friday 21 March 2008 16:19 : \____

    >>> Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?
    >>>
    >>> Fsckwit.

    >> The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7
    >> years.

    > It's the classic "Linux is just the kernel" excuse.

    Yep.
    This is a classic case.

    The bottom line is the server was a Linux server.
    Roy Schestowitz was warned.
    Roy Schestowitz did nothing about the planted trojan.
    Roy Schestowitz was hacked.

    Maybe Roy Schestowitz embedded the trojan on purpose to screw with Windows
    users machines.
    Knowing how that loon, Roy Schestowitz operates, anything is possible.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    The Liar Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The attack

    "HaCkEd By LUViGARO ;D" J00 H4V3 Be3N oWneD.

    *LMAO*

  9. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality (was: [News] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality)

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Funny, but Linux's "root can do all mentality" didn't seem to stop hackers
    > from compromising your server.
    >
    > You really should just stop complaining about windows security. Your own
    > server being hacked destroyed your ability to honestly talk about this.

    Funny you seem to part of the gang stalking outfit from micoshaft
    corporation stalking COLA users. May be you should explain to the police
    why you have such detailed information about this particular hacking
    incident.

  10. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    >> The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7
    >> years.

    > Linux is a collection of everything that runs on it, just as Windows is a
    > collection of everything that runs on it.
    >
    > The point was, you claimed that your site was hacked by another account,
    > that means they had to get root access to access other accounts, that
    > means a root privilege escalation.
    >
    > I wonder how that happened.

    Sheesh!.... Remind me never to employ you as a security consultant!!!!

    And while you are at it, go learn some Linux!

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  11. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:24:48 -0600, Felix Hoenikker wrote:

    > The Liar Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> The attack

    > "HaCkEd By LUViGARO ;D" J00 H4V3 Be3N oWneD.
    >

    > *LMAO*

    Yea it was pretty funny to see an arrogant SOB like Roy Schestowitz get put
    right into his place, at the bottom of the food chain.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:41:47 -0400,
    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:34:18 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ chrisv on Friday 21 March 2008 16:19 : \____

    >>> Certainly. Because "security is binary", right Fuddie?
    >>>
    >>> Fsckwit.

    >> The attack was carried out through phpBB, not GNU/Linux. First time in 7 years.

    > Linux is a collection of everything that runs on it, just as Windows is a
    > collection of everything that runs on it.

    and yet you have oft times in the past claimed that flaws in Win32 apps
    (that happent also have a Linux version) are not vulnerabilities in
    "Windows" when they are vulnerabilities in "Linux"

    > The point was, you claimed that your site was hacked by another account,
    > that means they had to get root access to access other accounts, that means
    > a root privilege escalation.

    or crap security of phpbb. Go figure. No, a root exploit is not the only
    way. PhPBB writes and reads files as the apache user (at least on
    fedora/Centos) So no, overwriting one website via another doesn't
    require root exploit.

    > I wonder how that happened.

    unpatched vulnerability in the app most likely. Assuming your question
    was serious.

    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot
    change, the courage to change the things I can, and the
    weaponry to make the difference stick!

  13. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:40:07 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    >> Linux is a collection of everything that runs on it, just as Windows is a
    >> collection of everything that runs on it.

    > and yet you have oft times in the past claimed that flaws in Win32 apps
    > (that happent also have a Linux version) are not vulnerabilities in
    > "Windows" when they are vulnerabilities in "Linux"

    They are vulnerabilities in the platform, not the software written by
    Microsoft. It's still a platform vulnerability. Microsoft can't be held
    responsible for such vulnerabilities.

    On the other hand, any software distributed by the vendor, either via disk
    or via repository is the vendors responsibility, and that includes 3rd
    party drivers or software that Microsoft distributes either on disk or via
    windows update.

    >> The point was, you claimed that your site was hacked by another account,
    >> that means they had to get root access to access other accounts, that means
    >> a root privilege escalation.

    > or crap security of phpbb. Go figure. No, a root exploit is not the only
    > way. PhPBB writes and reads files as the apache user (at least on
    > fedora/Centos) So no, overwriting one website via another doesn't
    > require root exploit.

    Then you've got some seriously problems if you make your web pages writable
    to the apache process.

  14. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot
    change, the courage to change the things I can, and the
    weaponry to make the difference stick!

  15. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:24:04 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:02:52 -0400,
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> and yet you have oft times in the past claimed that flaws in Win32 apps
    >>> (that happent also have a Linux version) are not vulnerabilities in
    >>> "Windows" when they are vulnerabilities in "Linux"

    >> They are vulnerabilities in the platform, not the software written by
    >> Microsoft. It's still a platform vulnerability. Microsoft can't be held
    >> responsible for such vulnerabilities.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, any software distributed by the vendor, either via disk
    >> or via repository is the vendors responsibility, and that includes 3rd
    >> party drivers or software that Microsoft distributes either on disk or via
    >> windows update.

    >>> or crap security of phpbb. Go figure. No, a root exploit is not the only
    >>> way. PhPBB writes and reads files as the apache user (at least on
    >>> fedora/Centos) So no, overwriting one website via another doesn't
    >>> require root exploit.

    >> Then you've got some seriously problems if you make your web pages writable
    >> to the apache process.

    > like a wiki...

    ?????
    Explain in layman's terms.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:24:04 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    >> Then you've got some seriously problems if you make your web pages writable
    >> to the apache process.

    > like a wiki...

    Most wiki's use database's to store the data, do they not? I don't know of
    any that update the actual web pages...

  17. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:19:53 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:24:04 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
    >
    >>> Then you've got some seriously problems if you make your web pages writable
    >>> to the apache process.

    >> like a wiki...

    > Most wiki's use database's to store the data, do they not? I don't know of
    > any that update the actual web pages...

    That's what I was getting at and please correct this non programmer if I am
    wrong.

    I have no clue how the data is stored or changed but my take on it is that
    they would be crazy to let anyone just update the actual page???

    Make sense?

    Yes/No ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

  19. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

  20. Re: [Roy makes accusations he can't prove] [Rival] Consequcnes of Windows' "Everyone's Admin" Mentality

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast