[News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux - Linux ; Hyper-V Leaves Linux Out In The Cold ,----[ Quote ] | Wednesday, Microsoft said Hyper-V beta for Windows Server 2008 is feature | complete. Included in the list of operating systems supported are Windows | Server 2003 SP2, Novell SUSE ...

  1. [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    Hyper-V Leaves Linux Out In The Cold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wednesday, Microsoft said Hyper-V beta for Windows Server 2008 is feature
    | complete. Included in the list of operating systems supported are Windows
    | Server 2003 SP2, Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1, Windows Vista
    | SP1 (x86), and Windows XP SP3 (x86). See John Fontana's article for more
    | details about the Hyper-V RC announcement.
    |
    | Though I'm anxious for Hyper-V to be released, especially the standalone
    | version (which is not what this RC announcement was about), I'm very
    | disappointed in Hyper-V's lack of support for Linux.
    |
    | No offense to SUSE Enterprise Server crowd, but only providing SUSE support
    | in Hyper-V is a huge mistake. By not supporting Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS, and
    | BSD, Microsoft is telling us Hyper-V is a Microsoft only technology. More Mt.
    | Redmond, Microsoft center of the universe thinking. That's disappointing.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26165

    Now is the time to complain to the EU. Microsoft is playing dirty again, as it
    recently did against TrueCrypt, Google, Opera, ODF and Phoenix.

    Why Novell is happy with Hyper-V

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, Hyper-V's Linux support is limited to SUSE. That's no surprise,
    | given Microsoft's relationship with Novell, but more users have Red Hat, and
    | other distributions. They won't be able to use Microsoft's virtualisation
    | technology - though to be fair, they will probably be more interested in
    | VMWare or Red Hat's own virtualisation technology.
    |
    | "We're pleased with Hyper-V," says Justin Steinman, director of Linux
    | marketing at Novell. "SUSE Linux is a first class guest on Microsoft Windows
    | Server." Microsoft's Steve Ballmer has shown SUSE Linux running as a guest,
    | which was "cool", said Steinman.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...tm?new_comment

    More proof that Novell is Microsoft's accomplice.

    Recent:

    Executive moves: Martin Buckley quits Novell over "certain principles"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Positive changes? Well, apparently not from Martin's perspective. You don't
    | quit a company after eight and a half years over "certain principles" unless
    | things are really bad. I never knew Martin during my time at Novell but he
    | was/is well-respected. His departure doesn't inspire confidence.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9889557-16.html

    Novell's PR director leaves to change the world

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bruce Lowry, Novell's head of global public relations, will say 'Goodbye' to
    | Novell this week to start with the Skoll Foundation as its communications
    | director.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Related:

    Novell's .Net moment

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Novell has struggled to compete in the open-source world. Combining with
    | Microsoft hasn't helped. So why not, as Dave suggests, link up with
    | Microsoft's .Net code to build an ecosystem around it that would complement
    | Microsoft's own efforts to do so?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Let's face it: there are still hordes of developers out there who love
    | Microsoft and would probably prefer to create open-source projects
    | around .Net instead of Java or the LAMP stack. Novell could orchestrate this
    | since Microsoft appears to have a PR problem with doing so.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Microsoft +/vs. Novell: The rich irony of then and now

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In other words, Microsoft engaged in selective interoperability via
    | closed "standards," which sounds eerily similar to the interoperability and
    | patent scheme that Novell signed up to with Microsoft. Is it OK now that
    | Novell gets to dish out the closed "standards" now, with Microsoft's help? *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Novell took 10 years to dig itself out from Microsoft's last monopolistic
    | barrage. Why undergo the same humiliation again? Why not join with the
    | industry in forcing Microsoft to play fairly, rather than siding with the
    | bully because it's momentarily convenient? *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-989...bj=TheOpenRoad

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Hyper-V Leaves Linux Out In The Cold
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wednesday, Microsoft said Hyper-V beta for Windows Server 2008 is
    > | feature complete. Included in the list of operating systems supported
    > | are Windows Server 2003 SP2, Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1,
    > | Windows Vista SP1 (x86), and Windows XP SP3 (x86). See John Fontana's
    > | article for more details about the Hyper-V RC announcement.
    >
    > | Though I'm anxious for Hyper-V to be released, especially the standalone
    > | version (which is not what this RC announcement was about), I'm very
    > | disappointed in Hyper-V's lack of support for Linux.

    If SuSE is sending special codes to make their distro work
    with micoshaft stuff, then they should divulge that information
    to open sourcers so that other Linuxes work correctly.

    If they don't, then it may be yet another reason to move everything to GPL3
    including the Linux kernel.

    In any case, who cares about pay to use micoshaft/novel crap?

    Sun$ backed VirtualBox GPL'd stuff is running expee faster than 2GHz
    machines under emulation in a dual core PC. Micoshaft/novel axis nowhere to
    be seen as usual.

    Its time for real novel/suse open sources to leave their evil
    anti-linux plotting companies and set up an anti-novel/micoshaft company. No
    venture capitalist would refuse them. Take care - use lawyers and strong
    NDAs to make sure none of the micoshaft bum boys and satellite big
    corp companies that support micoshaft have sneaked into these
    venture capital companies become privy to whats actually going on.

    > | No offense to SUSE Enterprise Server crowd, but only providing SUSE
    > | support in Hyper-V is a huge mistake. By not supporting Red Hat, Fedora,
    > | CentOS, and BSD, Microsoft is telling us Hyper-V is a Microsoft only
    > | technology. More Mt. Redmond, Microsoft center of the universe thinking.
    > | That's disappointing.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26165
    >
    > Now is the time to complain to the EU. Microsoft is playing dirty again,
    > as it recently did against TrueCrypt, Google, Opera, ODF and Phoenix.
    >
    > Why Novell is happy with Hyper-V
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | However, Hyper-V's Linux support is limited to SUSE. That's no surprise,
    > | given Microsoft's relationship with Novell, but more users have Red Hat,
    > | and other distributions. They won't be able to use Microsoft's
    > | virtualisation technology - though to be fair, they will probably be
    > | more interested in VMWare or Red Hat's own virtualisation technology.
    > |
    > | "We're pleased with Hyper-V," says Justin Steinman, director of Linux
    > | marketing at Novell. "SUSE Linux is a first class guest on Microsoft
    > | Windows Server." Microsoft's Steve Ballmer has shown SUSE Linux running
    > | as a guest, which was "cool", said Steinman.
    > `----
    >
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk

    blog/0,1000000567,10007593o-2000469549b,00.htm?new_comment

    > More proof that Novell is Microsoft's accomplice.
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Executive moves: Martin Buckley quits Novell over "certain principles"
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Positive changes? Well, apparently not from Martin's perspective. You
    > | don't quit a company after eight and a half years over "certain
    > | principles" unless things are really bad. I never knew Martin during my
    > | time at Novell but he was/is well-respected. His departure doesn't
    > | inspire confidence.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9889557-16.html
    >

    > Novell's PR director leaves to change the world
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Bruce Lowry, Novell's head of global public relations, will say
    > | 'Goodbye' to Novell this week to start with the Skoll Foundation as its
    > | communications director.
    > `----
    >
    > http:/

    blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9882387-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

    > Related:
    >
    > Novell's .Net moment
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Novell has struggled to compete in the open-source world. Combining with
    > | Microsoft hasn't helped. So why not, as Dave suggests, link up with
    > | Microsoft's .Net code to build an ecosystem around it that would
    > | complement Microsoft's own efforts to do so?
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Let's face it: there are still hordes of developers out there who love
    > | Microsoft and would probably prefer to create open-source projects
    > | around .Net instead of Java or the LAMP stack. Novell could orchestrate
    > | this since Microsoft appears to have a PR problem with doing so.
    > `----
    >
    > http:/

    blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9867460-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

    > Microsoft +/vs. Novell: The rich irony of then and now
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In other words, Microsoft engaged in selective interoperability via
    > | closed "standards," which sounds eerily similar to the interoperability
    > | and patent scheme that Novell signed up to with Microsoft. Is it OK now
    > | that Novell gets to dish out the closed "standards" now, with
    > | Microsoft's help?
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Novell took 10 years to dig itself out from Microsoft's last
    > | monopolistic barrage. Why undergo the same humiliation again? Why not
    > | join with the industry in forcing Microsoft to play fairly, rather than
    > | siding with the bully because it's momentarily convenient?
    > `----
    >
    > http:/

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-989...bj=TheOpenRoad

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Now is the time to complain to the EU. Microsoft is playing dirty
    > again, as it recently did against TrueCrypt, Google, Opera, ODF and
    > Phoenix.

    waaaahhhh!!! We can't compete!!! Let's whine to the EU "Competition
    Commission" so they'll restrict free trade.

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Now is the time to complain to the EU. Microsoft is playing dirty
    >> again, as it recently did against TrueCrypt, Google, Opera, ODF and
    >> Phoenix.

    > waaaahhhh!!! We can't compete!!! Let's whine to the EU "Competition
    > Commission" so they'll restrict free trade.

    Both Schestowitz and the person who wrote the article seem to have a
    misunderstanding of what the term "supported" actually means.

    It does *not* mean that something like CentOS or Mint Linux or of random 600+ distros> won't work.

    It means that it's not officially supported. Microsoft will have to support
    customers who buy this product. There are certain OS's (like Suse) that this
    is certified to work with and that will be supported.

    There is no way that MS can officially support every possible distro. Even
    VM-Ware doesn't claim to do that.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:21:16 -0400, josh fickler wrote:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now is the time to complain to the EU. Microsoft is playing dirty
    >>> again, as it recently did against TrueCrypt, Google, Opera, ODF and
    >>> Phoenix.

    >> waaaahhhh!!! We can't compete!!! Let's whine to the EU "Competition
    >> Commission" so they'll restrict free trade.
    >>

    > Both Schestowitz and the person who wrote the article seem to have a
    > misunderstanding of what the term "supported" actually means.
    >
    > It does *not* mean that something like CentOS or Mint Linux or > of random 600+ distros> won't work.
    >
    > It means that it's not officially supported. Microsoft will have to support
    > customers who buy this product. There are certain OS's (like Suse) that this
    > is certified to work with and that will be supported.
    >
    > There is no way that MS can officially support every possible distro. Even
    > VM-Ware doesn't claim to do that.

    More proof that Linux is a ball of confusion.
    No wonder the BBC measured the desktop market share at 0.8 percent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    7 wrote:

    > If SuSE is sending special codes to make their distro work
    > with micoshaft stuff, then they should divulge that information
    > to open sourcers so that other Linuxes work correctly.

    Like Linux users give a **** about Hyper-V in the first place. I've got
    VirtualBox. It actually works. I could use VM Ware or Xen. They actually
    work.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    josh fickler wrote:

    > It does *not* mean that something like CentOS or Mint Linux or
    > won't work.
    >
    > It means that it's not officially supported. Microsoft will have to
    > support customers who buy this product. There are certain OS's (like
    > Suse) that this is certified to work with and that will be supported.
    >
    > There is no way that MS can officially support every possible distro.
    > Even VM-Ware doesn't claim to do that.

    Plus, MS Virtual PC 2004 didn't "support" Linux, but I effortlessly
    installed 2 distros under it (ran slow as hell, though).

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

  9. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    ____/ RonB on Saturday 22 March 2008 02:28 : \____

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> If SuSE is sending special codes to make their distro work
    >> with micoshaft stuff, then they should divulge that information
    >> to open sourcers so that other Linuxes work correctly.

    > Like Linux users give a **** about Hyper-V in the first place. I've got
    > VirtualBox. It actually works. I could use VM Ware or Xen. They actually
    > work.

    That's the initial reaction to the news (it was actually known a long time
    ago), but Microsoft intends to preinstall its inferior product (yes, Netscape
    style!), which will probably have VMWare suing Microsoft. This goes back to a
    Forbes article from almost a year ago. Since some people just use 'whatever
    comes with Windows', it could become an issue. A complaint out to be filed to
    show that Microsoft pressures companies into unwanted protection rackets
    through exclusion and NDAs or whatever.

    Microsoft is still playing very dirty. It says it's trying to avoid fines, but
    that's just probably a way of saying "we'll behave from now on". Promises,
    promises.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Every beginning must start somewhere
    Swap: 1510068k total, 548804k used, 961264k free, 79400k cached

  10. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:16:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > That's the initial reaction to the news (it was actually known a long time
    > ago), but Microsoft intends to preinstall its inferior product (yes, Netscape
    > style!), which will probably have VMWare suing Microsoft.

    Inferior product?
    Is Microsoft planning on installing Linux?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:16:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> That's the initial reaction to the news (it was actually known a long time
    >> ago), but Microsoft intends to preinstall its inferior product (yes, Netscape
    >> style!), which will probably have VMWare suing Microsoft.

    > Inferior product?
    > Is Microsoft planning on installing Linux?

    Yet when Linux installs something it's seen as "a plus".

    These hypocrites make my head spin.

    --
    joy/elmo: why can't the same ip be used? was this fire so
    great that it burned the ip address?

  12. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:33:19 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:16:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> That's the initial reaction to the news (it was actually known a long time
    >>> ago), but Microsoft intends to preinstall its inferior product (yes, Netscape
    >>> style!), which will probably have VMWare suing Microsoft.

    >> Inferior product?
    >> Is Microsoft planning on installing Linux?

    > Yet when Linux installs something it's seen as "a plus".
    >
    > These hypocrites make my head spin.

    The Linux community is getting desperate as more people try Linux and those
    same people dump Linux.
    They are at a loss to figure out why and of course the obvious solution of
    having a couple of good distributions instead of 1000+ stinkers never
    occurs to them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:16:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> That's the initial reaction to the news (it was actually known a long
    >> time
    >> ago), but Microsoft intends to preinstall its inferior product (yes,
    >> Netscape
    >> style!), which will probably have VMWare suing Microsoft.

    > Inferior product?
    > Is Microsoft planning on installing Linux?

    Why should they when they have their own **** to use.
    I only use Microsoft because the programs I need for my graphics business
    are for windows OS.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

  15. Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Virtualisation' a Case Against GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread