Linux browser trends examined - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux browser trends examined - Linux ; Snit wrote: > "Gregory Shearman" stated in post > 2695936.enn4qIVRms@netscape.net on 3/21/08 12:31 AM: > >> DFS wrote: >> >>> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote: >>>> A while back I posted some claims about growth of linux being >>>> supported by published web ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70

  1. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Snit wrote:

    > "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    > 2695936.enn4qIVRms@netscape.net on 3/21/08 12:31 AM:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the ammo, Mercenary: after 10+ years of trying to give itself
    >>> away, less than 1 in 100 users chooses Linux.

    >> An exclusive club.

    > Exclusive? How?

    Those who don't know, can't install their own OS or can't get someone to do
    it for them or can't get to buy it preinstalled are excluded.

    Linux seems to be getting less exclusive as time goes on... 8-)

    >> When people have a choice to buy preloaded linux then things will
    >> improve. But choice is pretty hard to come by.

    > They do... from Dell, HP, Walmart (though only online now!), etc.

    Walmart? Never heard of them here.... HP? Dell? I've never seen them offer
    such deals in Australia... shipping whole units by air freight would bring
    that ol' price right up out of reach of the average "Aussie" don't you
    think?

    When the Asus eeePC came out here they sold out of them in no time...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    DFS wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the ammo, Mercenary: after 10+ years of trying to give
    >>> itself away, less than 1 in 100 users chooses Linux.

    >> An exclusive club.

    > ...of woman haters http://lonien.de/wjl/images/jpg/p200602260034.jpg

    What's the point of your happy snaps?

    >> When people have a choice to buy preloaded linux then things will
    >> improve. But choice is pretty hard to come by.

    > Wal-mart just chose to remove one such choice because when offered a
    > choice people didn't choose that choice.

    Walmart? WTF is that??? Some American thing no doubt.

    > You cola wacks should pool your funds and start a Linux system vendor, and
    > watch your tiny fortunes grow to no fortunes.

    Why should we? I can get Linux systems if I want them... It just costs me
    the same as it does to buy one with windows preinstalled.

    >>> Only the hitslink numbers are meaningful. w3schools is just one
    >>> site, with a technical focus.

    >> hitslink isn't even meaningful.

    > It's very meaningful.

    Oh I'm sure you think so.... ;-)

    >> No one really knows how many people use linux.

    > We know this for sure: not many.

    Just too many millions to count, eh? Enough for me... bye for now..

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    DFS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> And its numbers tie in more with the BBC which says 0.8%.
    >>
    >> A roughly 0.2% boost during Ubuntu hysteria. One user in every 500.
    >>
    >> This is not good whichever way you want to cut and dice it.

    > Lucky for Linux developers they don't demand a return on their time or
    > effort.

    Linux developers aren't paid for their time? How did you come up with this
    gem?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    4932786.q0St3tYKbD@netscape.net on 3/21/08 10:54 PM:

    >>> An exclusive club.

    >> Exclusive? How?

    > Those who don't know, can't install their own OS or can't get someone to do
    > it for them or can't get to buy it preinstalled are excluded.

    Ah, the excluded computer users are pissed - both of them!

    > Linux seems to be getting less exclusive as time goes on... 8-)

    One could say that.

    >>> When people have a choice to buy preloaded linux then things will
    >>> improve. But choice is pretty hard to come by.

    >> They do... from Dell, HP, Walmart (though only online now!), etc.

    > Walmart? Never heard of them here.... HP? Dell? I've never seen them offer
    > such deals in Australia... shipping whole units by air freight would bring
    > that ol' price right up out of reach of the average "Aussie" don't you
    > think?
    >
    > When the Asus eeePC came out here they sold out of them in no time...

    You did not indicate that you were in reference to any particular country,
    but, sure, I was in reference to the US... and there would be different
    suppliers elsewhere.

    --
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    nothing. - Unknown

  5. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Linux developers aren't paid for their time? How did you come up with this
    > gem?

    DFS types pretty much whatever silly little thing that pops into his head.
    He's "special," so we don't expect a lot out of him.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Linonut wrote:

    > * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the ammo, Mercenary:

    > Just wanted to point out this term used by DFS, the cheap-shot artist
    > who nonetheless misses the target.
    >
    >>> after 10+ years of trying to give itself
    >>> away, less than 1 in 100 users chooses Linux.

    >> Actually, looks to me that it could be as much as 2 or 3 per 100 if
    >> you look at a broad enough spectrum of stats.

    > And leave the Microsoft-besotted U.S. out of the equation .
    >
    > Here's another thing. Those stats only get at people using the web for
    > browsing. Also, what if most of the Linux users also used Windows, thus
    > diluting the Linux stats? Are we going to start counting "half-Linux"
    > users?
    >
    > What about people who perforce use Windows during the day, but have
    > Linux systems at home, but are then don't do much browsing, but instead
    > do other stuff with the box.

    What about browsers like konqueror which can identify themselves as IE when
    browsing, or Mozilla on 2000 or XP, or Netscape Navigator on MAC or XP, or
    Opera on NT4, & even Safari on MAC OS X.
    KDE > Internet & Network > Browser > Browser Identification > Add
    identification.

    This is why google gave up on browser stats, they don't work.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC1 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> The thing that scares me is that you take this 0.2% growth during Linux
    >> prime time as a positive thing. It is disastrous.

    > You know there was a time when server Linux was claiming only
    > 0.2% of the install base over a similar time period, and yet
    > that doesn't seem to have stopped it from becoming a serious
    > server solution. The fact that Linux is gaining ground one
    > the desktop even when faced with an entrenched competitor like
    > Microsoft and then Apple as well... that doesn't exactly
    > scare me.

    It scares M$ who declare that "Linux users made up over 17%
    of *all* Internet users with a growth rate of *more than* 3% per annum."
    M$ Execs declared this in a in sworn testimony before Courts in 2005,
    & in every quarterly SEC filing.

    > If you look at it another way, Linux has added better than 40%
    > to its desktop install base in the past year. Even conservative
    > estimates would put that at a gain of 5 to 10 million users.
    > If there is any network effect at play at all, we can expect
    > the expanded install base to yield faster growth.
    >
    > I think the next few years are going to be fun times for us
    > Linux geeks.

    Yup :-)

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC1 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The thing that scares me is that you take this 0.2% growth during Linux
    >>> prime time as a positive thing. It is disastrous.

    >> You know there was a time when server Linux was claiming only
    >> 0.2% of the install base over a similar time period, and yet
    >> that doesn't seem to have stopped it from becoming a serious
    >> server solution. The fact that Linux is gaining ground one
    >> the desktop even when faced with an entrenched competitor like
    >> Microsoft and then Apple as well... that doesn't exactly
    >> scare me.

    > It scares M$ who declare that "Linux users made up over 17%
    > of *all* Internet users with a growth rate of *more than* 3% per annum."
    > M$ Execs declared this in a in sworn testimony before Courts in 2005,
    > & in every quarterly SEC filing.

    I'm sure that dumb Willy or another one of the "advocates" could certainly
    post an URL to just one of these "every quarterly SEC filings" where MS
    states this.

    I didn't think so because Willy is a clueless idiot and a liar.

  9. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The URL I listed above has a bit more detail on it, including the
    > following text regarding their methodology:
    >
    > This report was generated 02/29/2008 based on the last 20,873,774
    > unique visits to 7,930 websites. The last 25,000 page views to each
    > website are analyzed to identify unique visits.

    Unique visits. Another potential confound. And one wonders, what is
    the time-window that defines a unique visit?

    --
    Security is, I would say, our top priority because for all the exciting
    things you will be able to do with computers - organizing your lives,

  10. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> And its numbers tie in more with the BBC which says 0.8%.
    >>>
    >>> A roughly 0.2% boost during Ubuntu hysteria. One user in every 500.
    >>>
    >>> This is not good whichever way you want to cut and dice it.

    >> Lucky for Linux developers they don't demand a return on their time or
    >> effort.

    > Linux developers aren't paid for their time? How did you come
    > up with this gem?

    Of course they're paid for their time. That's why during business hours
    they work writing proprietary closed-source Windows software. Ask Kohlmann
    or Liarnut for details. Perhaps those two will tell us where we can
    download the full source code to the software they work on.

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Gregory.
    > Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:31:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Lucky for Linux developers they don't demand a return on their time or
    >>> effort.

    >> Linux developers aren't paid for their time? How did you come
    >> up with this gem?

    > Of course they're paid for their time. That's why during business hours
    > they work writing proprietary closed-source Windows software. Ask Kohlmann
    > or Liarnut for details. Perhaps those two will tell us where we can
    > download the full source code to the software they work on.

    And don't forget Mark Kent who in this group claims there is no such thing
    as "intellectual property" but yet on his companies website he says the
    exact opposite.

    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy

    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    In article <3v3fb5-jf4.ln1@leafnode.archimedes.eu>,
    William Poaster wrote:
    > What about browsers like konqueror which can identify themselves as IE when
    > browsing, or Mozilla on 2000 or XP, or Netscape Navigator on MAC or XP, or
    > Opera on NT4, & even Safari on MAC OS X.
    > KDE > Internet & Network > Browser > Browser Identification > Add
    > identification.

    Firefox, though, does not make it easy to do that (you need an
    extension), so it is a very good guess that most Firefox users are
    accurately identifying themselves. Also, most people who do change the
    identification will change it to IE.

    Thus, you can get a check on the accuracy of OS stats from browser usage
    by just looking at the users that identify as Firefox.

    Also, changing the identification doesn't change the capabilities of the
    browser. A site that is seriously interested in gathering stats about
    its visitors can use javascript to figure out what is really running.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Matt wrote:
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.glaci.com/linuxstats.html
    >>
    >> Enjoy,
    >>
    >> Thad

    > Thanks for the web page with the nice graphs.
    >
    > I have tabulated some of the data from w3counter starting from the links
    > found at
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

    [ gratuitous deletia ... ]
    > I'd be happy if you'd like to use these numbers in your graphs. I never
    > make mistakes, but you and other COLA readers might want to double-check
    > them to be sure they match the numbers on the website.

    Thanks for the input and if I get a chance I'll play with these
    numbers and make new graphs. I'm in the process of wrapping up
    a consulting contract and relocating myself from Connecticut
    back to Wisconsin, so I probably won't get to it for a few days.

    > The IE6+IE7 and the Midpoint (of the time period) columns are computed
    > in my spread sheet, so you could discard those columns and write your
    > own expressions to get those numbers if you want.
    >
    > I see you have included only Linux graphs ... I think the Mac and IE
    > graphs add to the picture ... anyway by using the day-numbered raw data
    > for Linux usage, we get a somewhat more precise picture for Linux ...

    My purpose in generating the graphs that I did was just to address
    the claim that linux was 'flat-lining' or 'going nowhere'. I
    agree though, that it would be interesting to look at some of the
    other related trends.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  14. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> You can keep saying that to yourself if it makes you feel better,
    >> but as Linux marches into solid single digit territory with a clear
    >> long term growth trend, it makes software vendors that much more
    >> likely to include Linux in their cross platform plans. Increased

    > Someone needs to come up with a working revenue model first. How many
    > successful end-user for pay applications are there on Linux currently?
    >
    > Until that happens, cross platform plans for people developing for
    > desktop users will continue to mean "Windows and Mac", not "Windows,
    > Mac, and Linux".

    Actually, there already is quite a few commercial software
    vendors selling Linux versions. Often these are business and
    engineering applications that have been ported over from the
    Unix world, but there are also plenty of vertical niches that
    have ported Windows versions or that have done Linux pure plays
    to try and take advantage of an under-served niche. Consumer
    level software is still a bit soft but even that is happening.
    There is probably a few dozen vendors selling consumer apps
    through Linspire's CNR catalog. Is it up to the level of
    the thousands of Vendors selling stuff for Windows? No, but
    its a start. The idea that most Linux users will not pay for
    software is myth. We just wont pay for crappy software.

    The other thing at work here, though, is a movement toward
    software as a free component to enable a subscription service.
    Perhaps the best example of that is on-line games like World
    of Warcraft or Eve Online. Eve already has a Linux port and
    I would expect WoW to get one if the user base rises enough.
    I expect we will see an increasing amount of commercial but
    free of cost software finding its way to Linux as its
    popularity rises.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  15. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message

    >> Linux developers aren't paid for their time? How did you come
    >> up with this gem?

    > Of course they're paid for their time. That's why during business hours
    > they work writing proprietary closed-source Windows software. Ask Kohlmann
    > or Liarnut for details. Perhaps those two will tell us where we can
    > download the full source code to the software they work on.

    When did these COLA posters become Linux developers, and how does a sample
    size of 2 prove this point?

    Isn't Linus Torvalds paid to work on Linux? It only needs ONE example to
    rebut your point, but a MAJORITY of examples to prove it.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    > In article <3v3fb5-jf4.ln1@leafnode.archimedes.eu>,
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> What about browsers like konqueror which can identify themselves as IE when
    >> browsing, or Mozilla on 2000 or XP, or Netscape Navigator on MAC or XP, or
    >> Opera on NT4, & even Safari on MAC OS X.
    >> KDE > Internet & Network > Browser > Browser Identification > Add
    >> identification.

    > Firefox, though, does not make it easy to do that (you need an
    > extension), so it is a very good guess that most Firefox users are
    > accurately identifying themselves.

    Yep, no such option in about:config.

    --
    There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
    number of users want fixed.

  17. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article <3v3fb5-jf4.ln1@leafnode.archimedes.eu>,
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>> What about browsers like konqueror which can identify themselves as IE when
    >>> browsing, or Mozilla on 2000 or XP, or Netscape Navigator on MAC or XP, or
    >>> Opera on NT4, & even Safari on MAC OS X.
    >>> KDE > Internet & Network > Browser > Browser Identification > Add
    >>> identification.

    >> Firefox, though, does not make it easy to do that (you need an
    >> extension), so it is a very good guess that most Firefox users are
    >> accurately identifying themselves.

    > Yep, no such option in about:config.

    Quick Preference Button
    Access common preferences from a menu button. It includes settings for page
    download and display, tabs, proxy, spoofing user agent (user agent switching),
    enable or disable the Adblock extension and more.

    And another: User Agent Switcher

    Couldn't be easier, except to a Mac troll of course..

    These extensions can be quite useful for those morons who write a page trying to
    *force* people to use IE. Consequently there could be a *lot* of people who use
    Firefox & who either dual boot with windows or use windows, & have the
    extension installed.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>> Firefox, though, does not make it easy to do that (you need an
    >>> extension), so it is a very good guess that most Firefox users are
    >>> accurately identifying themselves.

    >> Yep, no such option in about:config.

    > Quick Preference Button
    > Access common preferences from a menu button. It includes settings for page
    > download and display, tabs, proxy, spoofing user agent (user agent switching),
    > enable or disable the Adblock extension and more.
    >
    > And another: User Agent Switcher
    >
    > Couldn't be easier, except to a Mac troll of course..

    Well, thinking about it, finding those add-ons is probably much more
    likely for the average user than finding out about "about:config".

    I haven't had to do much spoofing lately, anyway. If a site acts up,
    screw it, they had their shot.

    --
    To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit
    different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's

  19. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    In article ,
    William Poaster wrote:
    > >> Firefox, though, does not make it easy to do that (you need an
    > >> extension), so it is a very good guess that most Firefox users are
    > >> accurately identifying themselves.

    > > Yep, no such option in about:config.

    > Quick Preference Button
    > Access common preferences from a menu button. It includes settings for page
    > download and display, tabs, proxy, spoofing user agent (user agent
    > switching),
    > enable or disable the Adblock extension and more.
    >
    > And another: User Agent Switcher

    Looks like Willy can't read.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  20. Re: Linux browser trends examined

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:26:17 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Yep, no such option in about:config.

    >> Quick Preference Button
    >> Access common preferences from a menu button. It includes settings for page
    >> download and display, tabs, proxy, spoofing user agent (user agent
    >> switching),
    >> enable or disable the Adblock extension and more.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1851
    >>
    >> And another: User Agent Switcher
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

    > Looks like Willy can't read.

    Poaster can barely breathe without being retrained daily.