'Vista Capable' plaintiffs oppose Microsoft appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| For anyone just tuning in, the lawsuit alleges that Microsoft's "Windows
| Vista Capable" logo misled consumers because it was used in cases where the
| underlying hardware wasn't enough to run the operating system's signature
| features. Microsoft disputes that assertion, saying that it considers the
| lower-end Windows Vista Home Basic a bona fide edition of the operating
| system, even without the advanced features.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

More new trouble for Vista (nobody wants it):

"For what Vista costs (I have home premium on one of my boxes) in terms of
hardware and forced software upgrades, particularly now in a down economy, it
doesn't make much sense to force it on us. I've recently gone back to trying
out different distributions of Linux; should MS try to force Vista down our
throats, I may just stick with Ubuntu, Xandros or Mepis and get it over with.
While certain features of Vista are intriguing, there's nothing there that I
can't or don't already have in XP with the notable exception of DirectX 10. Do
the right thing MS - continue to make XP available to us all."

Related:

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell. *
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP." *
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers. * *
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/busine...nclick_check=1

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

Has Vista lost all credibility?

http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| So many charges, so little time.
|
| Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
| investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
| Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
| for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
| to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices. * *
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...rett_eu_gripe/

Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.p...y071120-003039