[News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland - Linux ; Linux well-positioned in booming telematics market ,----[ Quote ] | In five years, 30 million cars or 44 percent of the global total will ship | with telematics devices such as navigation computers, safety systems, | and "infotainment" systems, a ...

  1. [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland

    Linux well-positioned in booming telematics market

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In five years, 30 million cars or 44 percent of the global total will ship
    | with telematics devices such as navigation computers, safety systems,
    | and "infotainment" systems, a study claims. The ABI Research report also
    | forecasts a vibrant outlook for after-market telematics devices, where Linux
    | has seen some success.
    `----

    There's also this new one:

    Finland's 'Open Source' Electric Car Plan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When I think of faraway Finland, I think of long, dark winters, saunas,
    | reindeer and Nokia cellular telephones. I don't think of electric cars...
    | until now.
    `----

    http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1419

    Related:

    Car computer runs Red Flag Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Flag Linux is a Chinese version of Linux based on Asianux.
    `----

    Vehicle-mount computer runs Debian Etch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MT7550 clocks its AMD Geode GX533 processor at 400 MHz, includes both
    | Bluetooth and 802.11b/g wireless capabilities, and comes standard with Debian
    | Linux 4.0 ("Etch"). *
    `----

    Rugged, fanless vehicle PC runs Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acrosser has introduced a compact, fanless computer aimed at the harsh
    | environments found in trucks, taxis, and other vehicular applications. The
    | AR-ES0831FL runs Linux on Pentium and Celeron M processors, and meets
    | IEC-68-2-6 vibration and IEC-68-2-27 shock standards, according to the
    | company. * *
    `----

    In-vehicle Linux system assists first responders

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.K.-based Thorcom Systems Ltd is shipping a rugged, Debian Linux-based,
    | in-vehicle computer intended for emergency first responders. T
    `----

    Debian Linux controls copter-like UAV [Unmanned Aerial Vehicle]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Trek Aerospace used Debian Linux and open-source flight control
    | software to build an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) capable of
    | vertical take-off and landing (VTOL). The Oviwun weighs about
    | six pounds, fits in a backpack, and includes a GPS system that
    | enables autonomous flight and position control.
    `----

    Driver-Free Car Runs Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This automated vehicle uses a dozen Intel Core 2 processors, but at the
    | bottom of the software stack is Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" Linux. Ubuntu 6.06
    | was chosen for being an LTS (Long Term Support) release. Perhaps next year's
    | vehicle will be running Ubuntu 8.04? * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjI3NA

    Linux Powered PS3 to be used in DARPA Urban Challenge

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With four years of autonomous racing experience and using Yellow Dog Linux,
    | San Diego's Axion Racing is excited about showing folks other things that can
    | be done using a PlayStation console. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/aug/...rban_challenge

  2. Re: [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Linux well-positioned in booming telematics market
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In five years, 30 million cars or 44 percent of the global total will ship
    >| with telematics devices such as navigation computers, safety systems,
    >| and "infotainment" systems, a study claims. The ABI Research report also
    >| forecasts a vibrant outlook for after-market telematics devices, where Linux
    >| has seen some success.
    > `----

    > There's also this new one:

    Linux is inevitable for this environment. Margins in car manufacturing
    are tight, BMW are currently reporting 5.59% net margin, so anything
    which helps to reduce the cost base is good.

    The use of open platforms always helps to prevent vendor lock-in,
    leaving the customer in the postition of owning their own services.
    Linux is the perfect OS platform for this.

  3. Re: [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 March 2008 08:30 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Linux well-positioned in booming telematics market
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| In five years, 30 million cars or 44 percent of the global total will ship
    >>| with telematics devices such as navigation computers, safety systems,
    >>| and "infotainment" systems, a study claims. The ABI Research report also
    >>| forecasts a vibrant outlook for after-market telematics devices, where
    >>| Linux has seen some success.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3110875142.html
    >>
    >> There's also this new one:
    >>

    > Linux is inevitable for this environment. Margins in car manufacturing
    > are tight, BMW are currently reporting 5.59% net margin, so anything
    > which helps to reduce the cost base is good.
    >
    > The use of open platforms always helps to prevent vendor lock-in,
    > leaving the customer in the postition of owning their own services.
    > Linux is the perfect OS platform for this.

    The same could perhaps be said about airplanes. How much would Vista per seat
    cost and what happens when the WGA server go down again? Or for that matter,
    try to explain to an officer that you crashed your car after your car's
    navigation unit crashed. It's not quite a question of just cost.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source
    run-level 2 2008-03-19 11:51 last=

  4. Re: [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 March 2008 08:30 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Linux well-positioned in booming telematics market
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3110875142.html
    >>>
    >>> There's also this new one:
    >>>

    >> Linux is inevitable for this environment. Margins in car manufacturing
    >> are tight, BMW are currently reporting 5.59% net margin, so anything
    >> which helps to reduce the cost base is good.
    >>
    >> The use of open platforms always helps to prevent vendor lock-in,
    >> leaving the customer in the postition of owning their own services.
    >> Linux is the perfect OS platform for this.

    > The same could perhaps be said about airplanes. How much would Vista per seat
    > cost and what happens when the WGA server go down again? Or for that matter,
    > try to explain to an officer that you crashed your car after your car's
    > navigation unit crashed. It's not quite a question of just cost.

    Virgin Atlantic were busy fitting a Linux-based on-board entertainement
    system, for this very reason. Personally, I'm looking forward to
    getting on a Virgin plane and playing a game of doom :-)

  5. Re: [News] Linux in More Cars Likely, 'Open Source' Car from Finland

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 March 2008 11:40 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 20 March 2008 08:30 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Linux is inevitable for this environment. Margins in car manufacturing
    >>> are tight, BMW are currently reporting 5.59% net margin, so anything
    >>> which helps to reduce the cost base is good.
    >>>
    >>> The use of open platforms always helps to prevent vendor lock-in,
    >>> leaving the customer in the postition of owning their own services.
    >>> Linux is the perfect OS platform for this.

    >> The same could perhaps be said about airplanes. How much would Vista per
    >> seat cost and what happens when the WGA server go down again? Or for that
    >> matter, try to explain to an officer that you crashed your car after your
    >> car's navigation unit crashed. It's not quite a question of just cost.
    >>

    > Virgin Atlantic were busy fitting a Linux-based on-board entertainement
    > system, for this very reason. Personally, I'm looking forward to
    > getting on a Virgin plane and playing a game of doom :-)

    Do IDC and Gartner count airplane seats in their 'precious' (Microsoft-imposed)
    definitions of 'market share'?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    This sedentary lifestyle on the Net leads to fatigue. And then you wake up.
    Mem: 515500k total, 444356k used, 71144k free, 2952k buffers