Movial Announces Linux Support for Mobile Internet Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Movial today announced Linux support for Intel-based Mobile Internet devices
| (MIDs). The company already supports these devices with converged IP
| communications capabilities, such as video telephony, presence, instant
| messaging and video sharing, through its software platform, Communicator.

Intel MIDINUX operating system for MIDs in action

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you remember when we spoke about MIDs, Intel's version of
| UMPCs with mobile operating system? MIDs are supposed to be
| available at a much affordable 500 $ price point, with almost
| the same software capabilities of current UMPCs. Below there's
| a video with a beta version of MIDINUX in action.

Has Intel Given up on the UMPC as a Mass Market Device?

,----[ Quote ]
| I remember being struck by the idea that the device didn't quite know if
| it was a business or consumer tool, and at more than $1000, I couldn't
| see many people running out to buy one. Seems I was right (nice to be
| right once in a while). According to Gruener's article, Intel has
| decided to scrap the UMPC (or at least send it to the niche market
| pile) in favor a new mass-market device it's dubbing the Mobile
| Internet Device or MID (because we couldn't do this without
| another acronym).

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The finalized product could obviously change ever-so-sightly between
| now and then, but regardless, be sure to click on through for an
| in-action look at Intel's Linux-based MID, and try not to become
| too envious, capiche?

The UMPC dies. And no one notices.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Intel has its way, then what once was the mass market UMPC will
| morph into much smaller and less powerful "mobile Internet devices,"
| hort "MID".
| [...]
| There must have been a slight disconnect between Microsoft's
| marketing strategists and hardware and product designers.
| Neither the first nor the second generation of UMPCs came
| close to the expectations the initial marketing created.

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]