Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK, uses a Debian cluster with 320 TB HP-SFS
(Lustre) filesystem as part of its 1.5 PB storage for human genome sequencing

| Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, UK, runs a
| 640+ cores Debian GNU / Linux cluster with 320 Terabytes of "live data", like
| a giant virtual memory swap partition, out of its 1.5 Petabytes of storage.

Nice list of Linux/FOSS migrations here:

On a separate note, regarding Asus, there is little reason to worry about their
Xandros derivative and Windows XP because Asus has unveiled a desktop Eee and
it runs GNU/Linux. Also, XP availability has a limited life support rope.

See Microsoft's latest SEC filing. Linux is thetop threat. The Eee PC runs XP
only because Microsoft gave ASUS a considerable discount, which is why
Microsoft empties its pocket fighting Linux, not 'piracy'.

Basically, DNA is a computing problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Think of it as the biggest Linux swap partition in the world, since the whole
| system is running on Debian Linux. The genome project uses open source
| software as much as possible, and one of its major databases is run on MySQL,
| although others rely on Oracle.

Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings

,----[ Quote ]
| The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has replaced
| its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that can process
| information vital to protection against typhoons, floods, droughts, tsunamis
| and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of the cost. *
| The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
| gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
| Debian Linux OS. *
| "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora etc,"
| said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]