[News] Large Migration to GNU/Linux in a Small US Town (Goes Unreported) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Large Migration to GNU/Linux in a Small US Town (Goes Unreported) - Linux ; Ken Starks and Larry Cafiero talk Lindependence 2008 ,----[ Quote ] | I am honored to have had a chance to interview two of the most dedicated | Freedomware and GNU/Linux advocates. Ken Starks and Larry Cafiero answered a | ...

  1. [News] Large Migration to GNU/Linux in a Small US Town (Goes Unreported)

    Ken Starks and Larry Cafiero talk Lindependence 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am honored to have had a chance to interview two of the most dedicated
    | Freedomware and GNU/Linux advocates. Ken Starks and Larry Cafiero answered a
    | number of questions about Lindependence 2008, an ambitious, multifaceted new
    | advocacy project they have started recently. So, let's get right down to it!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | XX. Something I hope I can ask you sometime mid-July: Can you describe the
    | look on Microsoft representative's face when they realize they just lost a
    | town? *Smiling*
    |
    | Larry Cafiero: I can't describe the look on his face, but I'm sure it would
    | be one of surprise. And I will have a tape measure and see how far Steve
    | Ballmer throws whatever chair may be in his way at that time. *Smile*
    |
    | Ken Starks: I actually have a news person interested in covering that
    | aspect...but I fully expect the MS representative to "no comment" the whole
    | thing...that would be their safest bet anyway.
    `----

    http://www.nuxified.org/article/ken_...ependence_2008

    It comes from the people. They want freedom, they help their friends and family
    find choice. Network effect in action. No press releases issued.

    Related:

    The sound of "Operation Rolling Funder"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 3 weeks ago Friday, I was 3 minutes away from having one huge problem swept
    | away. A friend of a friend put me in touch with an "Angel Investor". *HeliOS
    | Solutions is holding it's own at this point. Without any real advertising to
    | speak of, we've begun to establish ourselves as a viable service. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Key leaders in the Linux Community have been forwarded our business and
    | marketing plans and they agree that this is a fantastic idea...one that can
    | make history. Oh, and let's differentiate between changing history and making
    | it. *
    `----

    http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.ph...ng-Funder.html

    I've just met Santa Claus.

    | His name is Ken Starks and many only know him as "helios". Ken has a popular
    | blog and a cause he has given much for. As a Linux advocate, Ken has not only
    | spread the word across the nation and the world about Linux, he has taken on
    | the task of giving poor kids computers. He calls it by the corny name of
    | Komputers4Kids but it doesn't matter how corny the name sounds, it is what he
    | does that makes the difference. Ken has made a difference in the lives of
    | over a hundred kids in the past year. * * *
    `----

    http://ryansrantorama.blogspot.com/2...nta-claus.html

    Heroes of Linux and FOSS: Ken Starks, AKA Helios

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This seems like a good time for a Ken Starks retrospective. This is the man
    | who, despite some rather gnarly health problems churns out blog entries and
    | interesting Linux projects by the truckload. *
    `----

    Major Linux Hardware Donor Is a CNN "Hero"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Burgett's filmed interview is currently leading a CNN contest among videos
    | of 'ordinary people' whom CNN considers everyday heroes, narrowly edging out
    | the video of a man who is saving gorillas from extinction. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Reader stefanlasiewski posted a journal article describing how,
    | bewilderingly, the state of California is threatening to shut down Burgett's
    | ACCRC. *
    `----

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...46230&from=rss

    16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With his non-profit organization called Alameda County Computer Resource
    | Center, he built up a volunteer organization, collects donated stuff from the
    | companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off the
    | drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and then
    | gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organizations or individuals
    | without too much cash. *
    |
    | A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Large Migration to GNU/Linux in a Small US Town (GoesUnreported)

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=181836

    > Over the July 4th weekend -- while the U.S. celebrates Independence Day -- a substantial percentage of the town of Felton, California, is going Microsoft-free for at least a week -- possibly for longer and hopefully for keeps. HeliOS Solutions in conjunction with a variety of distros across the Linux landscape will sponsor "LINdependence Day 2008". Many residents and local businesses have expressed an enthusiastic interest in participating in this project. As the news grows, we fully expect the number of participants in Felton to increase quickly.

+ Reply to Thread