[News] Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection - Linux ; Mozilla spins off development of Thunderbird ,----[ Quote ] | After lengthy discussions about the further development of its e-mail client | called Thunderbird, the Mozilla foundation has founded a subsidiary company. | Equipped with 3 million US dollars in ...

  1. [News] Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    Mozilla spins off development of Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After lengthy discussions about the further development of its e-mail client
    | called Thunderbird, the Mozilla foundation has founded a subsidiary company.
    | Equipped with 3 million US dollars in startup capital, the subsidiary that
    | will handle Thunderbird will have David Ascher at the helm.
    `----

    Related:

    Three cheers for portable Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the portable
    | version is the best version of Thunderbird.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Mozilla keeps Eudora alive, releases new version based on Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Eudora team might have called it quits on commercial aspirations and
    | released the product as open source some time ago, but that doesn't mean you
    | should get the trash bin out just yet. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...on-thunderbird

    Giving Microsoft The Bird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I used to be the biggest evangelist of Microsoft. All other software was
    | inferior. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I have been a huge Outlook user since the early days of Outlook Express.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The most immediate thing I’ve noticed is speed. It loads immediately, and
    | responds immediately. And that is with all of my Outlook data in-tact! After
    | I migrated my data I went to town with the extensions. I’ve listed them all
    | below, as I found some really cool ones. My favorites are the Lightning/GCal
    | add-on and the QuickFolders. * *
    `----

    http://christhis.com/archives/145/gi...osoft-the-bird

    Reviewing Features of Mozilla Thunderbird 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In case it's not obvious, extensions are basically software utility
    | add-ons of varying complexity, while themes are user interface styles
    | that can somewhat dramatically change the look of the application.
    | Mozilla installs a single extension in Thunderbird by default-for
    | error reporting-and a single, default user interface theme. I
    | find the default Thunderbird theme to be pleasing and in keeping
    | with the standard Firefox look and feel.
    `----

    http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/05/0...thunderbird-2/

    First look: Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The one e-mail client that seems to still be on the rise is the
    | open-source Mozilla Thunderbird, which recently hit Version 2.0.
    | While it hasn't changed radically, the new release includes several
    | new features, most notably for organizing and finding messages.
    | In this review, we'll assess which additions are useful and
    | which are fluff.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...rce=rss_news50

    Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though it's likely that I'll move back to Outlook full-time at some
    | point (I still use it for calendaring, actually), I have to admit
    | that I had intended to use Thunderbird for about a month and then
    | move on, but it's proven usable and efficient. Thunderbird is an
    | excellent and high-quality email solution, and while I'm guessing
    | that many of the people who read this site haven't really given it
    | a shot, my advice is to do so, especially if you can't get your
    | hands on Outlook 2007. Thunderbird is quite a bit better than
    | Windows Mail or Outlook Express, and while many Web-based email
    | services have improved with Ajax/Web 2.0-based interfaces, users
    | who have to manage a lot of email will be better off with a true
    | email application.
    `----

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/thunderbird2.asp

  2. Re: [News] Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the
    > | portable version is the best version of Thunderbird.
    > `----

    But it can't do something as basic as "quote selected text only". :-)

  3. Re: Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    On 19 Sep, 02:56, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the
    > > | portable version is the best version of Thunderbird.
    > > `----

    > But it can't do something as basic as "quote selected text only". :-)

    I don't know what to do...

    I run Ubuntu Feisty, with its default Evolution email client. Now,
    lotsa people say Thunderbird's better - and I do find Evolution kinda
    crap - but I've been told that Thunderbird doesn't do calendaring,
    task setting, alarm messages, all Evolution features that I do use.

    I don't know what to do.

  4. Re: Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    On 2007-09-19, dapunka wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu Feisty, with its default Evolution email client. Now,
    > lotsa people say Thunderbird's better - and I do find Evolution kinda
    > crap - but I've been told that Thunderbird doesn't do calendaring,
    > task setting, alarm messages, all Evolution features that I do use.

    Thunderbird scares me. I had the following setup:

    1. IMAP account on host H1, which was a local machine, accessed over
    SSL on port 993. My user name for this IMAP server is "tim".

    2. IMAP account on host H2, which is a remote machine, which is
    accessible over SSL on port 993. However, access is not allowed
    from outside. SSH access is allowed from outside. My user name for
    this IMAP server is "tim".

    3. An SSH tunnel from H1 to H2, which forwards port 1993 on H1 to
    993 on H2.

    4. A client machine on the same lan is H1. From this client, I wish
    to have too email accounts, one that uses the IMAP server on H1, and
    one that uses the IMAP server on H2, via the SSH tunnel.

    Here's how you set this up in many email clients.

    1. Create an email account in the client, set it to use an IMAP
    server on H1, port 993, with user "tim".

    2. Create a second email account in the client, set it to use an
    IMAP server on H1, port 1993, with user "tim".

    This works great on pretty much every email client I've tried except for
    Thunderbird. Thunderbird fails at step #2, with the error that I
    already have an email account for host H1 with the user name "tim".

    That's not the scary part. That is just, one would expect, a simple
    little bug. Email accounts should be identified by (host, port, user),
    but it is evidently using (host, user).

    So, I did the obvious thing: created a Bugzilla account at wherever they
    keep their Bugzilla, and submitted a bug report, with detailed
    reproduction steps. My expectation was to see that it had been
    reproduced, and in the next minor update, see this minor bug fixed
    (figuring it would be something trivial), and then I could switch to
    Thunderbird on that machine.

    That's when the scary part happened. This got marked as a duplicate of
    an earlier bug, and looking at that, I see that this has been a long
    known problem, which they have been unable to fix, because the (host,
    user) key assumption is so deeply ingrained into the code, fixing it
    would reauire a huge amount of work.

    Wow. That has to be one steaming pile of crap codebase. It's hard to
    conceive of any sane way to write an email client that would make this
    problem anything more than a quick, easy, bug to fix.

    And that is why I'm scared of Thunderbird. When I read that they've
    done a major release that is so major it amounts to a rewrite, then
    Thunderbird is back on the list of email programs I'll consider using.

  5. Re: Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    ____/ dapunka on Wednesday 19 September 2007 03:06 : \____

    > On 19 Sep, 02:56, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> But it can't do something as basic as "quote selected text only". :-)

    See the extensions galore. Thunderbird can do *everything*. I use dozens of
    extensions and some very pretty themes. It ought to make one giggle at the
    sight of that rigid Outlook 2003 (haven't seen 2007 in action), which lacks
    some very important functionality.

    > I don't know what to do...
    >
    > I run Ubuntu Feisty, with its default Evolution email client. Now,
    > lotsa people say Thunderbird's better - and I do find Evolution kinda
    > crap - but I've been told that Thunderbird doesn't do calendaring,
    > task setting, alarm messages, all Evolution features that I do use.
    >
    > I don't know what to do.

    You can get thee calendaring addons for Thunderbird. There is at least one of
    them. I have it installed and it imports ical/vcal and some other file types
    too. The development of this extension is still very active.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com

  6. Re: Thunderbird Returns to Life with a $3 Million Cash Injection

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > See the extensions galore. Thunderbird can do *everything*. I use dozens
    > of extensions and some very pretty themes. It ought to make one giggle at
    > the sight of that rigid Outlook 2003 (haven't seen 2007 in action), which
    > lacks some very important functionality.

    I looked, and posted to the support forum. Nada.

+ Reply to Thread