[News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible - Linux ; Novell ODF Translator and MS Office ODF plugin reviewed ,----[ Quote ] | His results reveal that conversion needs more attention from developers, esp. | now that The Netherlands standardize on ODF - with more public agencies to | come. ...

  1. [News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible

    Novell ODF Translator and MS Office ODF plugin reviewed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | His results reveal that conversion needs more attention from developers, esp.
    | now that The Netherlands standardize on ODF - with more public agencies to
    | come. The German Foreign Office migrated to Linux and Open Source solutions.
    | The test results demonstrate that PR stunts won't convince customers that
    | compare the solutions available. The results also indicate that the OOXML
    | conversion will be a non-trivial exercise for competitors. A single
    | international standard could help to reduce the pain.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-47061...lugin-reviewed

    Maybe if Microsoft pays enough companies and people to say "interop" (e.g.
    Novell, Linspire, Rick Jelliffe), then people will start to believe it.

    http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman...rop_Model.html
    Manufacturing Consent: A Propaganda Model

    Related:

    Bad surprise in Microsoft Office binary documents : interoperability remains
    impossible

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A couple of counter examples have demonstrated that Microsoft Office document
    | interoperability is wishful thinking at this point. The documents made
    | available by Microsoft for direct download won't and shouldn't impress
    | third-party implementers since it does not help much. ¬*
    |
    | What is being shown is that in addition to missing documentation, the binary
    | documentations sometimes conflict with the ECMA 376 documentation, itself not
    | a full documentation of the new XML-based formats anyway. ¬*
    |
    | Who other than Microsoft is able to reliably migrate formats from binary to
    | XML, and back
    `----

    http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blog...ce-binary.html

    Guest Commentary: The converter hoax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft maintains that while it would have been easy to support the Open
    | Document Format (ODF) natively, it had to move to MS-OOXML because this was
    | the only way for them to offer the full features of its office suite. But if
    | Microsoft itself is not able to represent its internal data structures in the
    | Open Document Format (ODF) in its Microsoft Office suite, how could an
    | external conversion program from MS-OOXML accomplish this task? The answer to
    | both questions is that it is not possible because two things cannot be the
    | same and different at the same time. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/92735

    Proprietizing Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But when you proprietize standards, you touch me. And that is precisely what
    | is happening with OOXML. Microsoft's own expert at the Portugal meeting said
    | so pointblank: Microsoft will add proprietary extensions, he said, to do
    | things ODF can't do. ¬*
    `----

    Russia blindly voted for Microsoft office standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F12%2F265876

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To be able to vote all you need is to pay the membership fee to SIS
    | and the total cost for this was 17.000 SEK (2444 USD). Of the 23 new
    | companies that showed up this last minute and where the majority
    | hasn't shown any earlier interest, only Google has a clear agenda
    | regarding OOXML and they are against it. Following companies showed
    | just before the meeting started:
    |
    | Camako Data AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Connecta AB
    | (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Cornerstone Sweden AB (Microsoft
    | Gold Certified Partner), Cybernetics (Microsoft Gold Certified
    | Partner), Emric AB, Exor AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), Fishbone
    | Systems AB (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Formpipe Software
    | (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), FS System AB, Google, HP
    | (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), IBizkit AB (Microsoft Certified
    | Partner), IDE Nätverkskonsulterna (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner),
    | IT-Vision AB, Know IT (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Modul1
    | (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Nordic Station AB (Microsoft
    | Certified Partner), ReadSoft AB (Microsoft Certified Partner), Sogeti
    | (Microsoft Gold Certified Partner), Solid Park AB (Microsoft Gold
    | Certified Partner), SourceTech AB, Strand Interconnect AB (Microsoft
    | Gold Certified Partner) and TietoEnator (Microsoft Gold Certified
    | Partner)
    |
    | The final result was 25 Yes, 6 No and 3 Abs and this would from the
    | start be a done deal of saying No!
    `----

    http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14868/1/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Novell ODF Translator and MS Office ODF plugin reviewed
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | His results reveal that conversion needs more attention from developers, esp.
    > | now that The Netherlands standardize on ODF - with more public agencies to
    > | come. The German Foreign Office migrated to Linux and Open Source solutions.
    > | The test results demonstrate that PR stunts won't convince customers that
    > | compare the solutions available. The results also indicate that the OOXML
    > | conversion will be a non-trivial exercise for competitors. A single
    > | international standard could help to reduce the pain.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-47061...lugin-reviewed
    >
    > Maybe if Microsoft pays enough companies and people to say "interop" (e.g.
    > Novell, Linspire, Rick Jelliffe), then people will start to believe it.
    >
    > http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman...rop_Model.html
    > Manufacturing Consent: A Propaganda Model

    Microsoft are going to nail your arse Roy.

    Where the hell do you get off spouting these unfounded lies and
    allegations?

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:27:15 +0100, Hadron Schestowitz wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Novell ODF Translator and MS Office ODF plugin reviewed
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| His results reveal that conversion needs more attention from developers, esp.
    >>| now that The Netherlands standardize on ODF - with more public agencies to
    >>| come. The German Foreign Office migrated to Linux and Open Source solutions.
    >>| The test results demonstrate that PR stunts won't convince customers that
    >>| compare the solutions available. The results also indicate that the OOXML
    >>| conversion will be a non-trivial exercise for competitors. A single
    >>| international standard could help to reduce the pain.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-47061...lugin-reviewed
    >>
    >> Maybe if Microsoft pays enough companies and people to say "interop" (e.g.
    >> Novell, Linspire, Rick Jelliffe), then people will start to believe it.
    >>
    >> http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Herman...rop_Model.html
    >> Manufacturing Consent: A Propaganda Model

    > Microsoft are going to nail your arse Roy.
    >
    > Where the hell do you get off spouting these unfounded lies and
    > allegations?

    Microsoft are fully aware of Roy Schestowitz and they are simply lying low
    and building their cases against him.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML So-called 'Interoperability' Shamed, Far from Feasible

+ Reply to Thread