[Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks - Linux

This is a discussion on [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks - Linux ; Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools ,----[ Quote ] | If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a | scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools -- | Microsoft will ...

  1. [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

    Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
    | scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
    | Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/data/articles.d...r/33a03001.htm

    It's still relevant because it continues to this date. See below.

    Related:

    From E-mail:

    http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,...-991184,0.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you see, it's in French but it is short and sweet. It refers to an
    | article published in the Swiss newspaper Le Temps on Monday (available for a
    | payment of 2.50 Swiss francs.) But I find the Le Monde article
    | sufficient and can offer a translation:
    |
    | 1,445: number of students in the world paid by Microsoft to
    | promote favourable speech in their universities
    |
    | "How Microsoft has infiltrated the Swiss universities" was the
    | title of the Monday Le Temps. The Genevean newspaper pointed to
    | these students charged with "forging links with their peers and
    | the professors" to improve the image of Bill Gates' firm in the
    | universities. The program "Microsoft Student Partners" is not at
    | all clandestine, it has an official Website at
    | "http://student-partners.com". It is no longer at all local: the
    | 1,445 students at the service of Microsoft are active in 102
    | countries. In France, more than 100 students carry the title MSP
    | and correspond with the Microsoft teams during their whole time in
    | school. These French students have actively participated in the
    | launch of the Vista operating system, organising 87 conferences
    | and stands, leading 17 training sessions and moderating 42 blogs.
    `----

    Microsoft to set up its First Computer University at Bangalore

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's expected to contribute greatly towards building a pipeline of billable
    | tech talent in the country. To start with, the university may train about
    | 1,000 students.
    `----

    http://www.mybangaloreproperty.com/b...bangalore.aspx

  2. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered AcademicKickbacks

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools
    > | in a scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the
    > | tools -- Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
    > `----

    WTF!!!

    Microsoft is corrupting academic *lectures* now too!!!

    "This Maths lesson is brought to you by Microsoft, the people who
    redefined 4000 as 3999.99999999999999999"

    Jesus wept.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    18:36:43 up 86 days, 16:12, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.07

  3. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:36:55 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools
    >>| in a scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the
    >>| tools -- Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
    >> `----

    > WTF!!!
    >
    > Microsoft is corrupting academic *lectures* now too!!!
    >
    > "This Maths lesson is brought to you by Microsoft, the people who
    > redefined 4000 as 3999.99999999999999999"

    And you can bet Schestowitz was the first in line to collect his share.
    After all he lists skills in Windows and Windows programming tools on his
    resume'.

    Roy Schestowitz is a hypocrite.

    > Jesus wept.

    The shortest verse in the Bible.

    The first baseball game was played back in Genesis BTW.

    In the BIG INNing... (Gen 1:1 "In the Beginning God created.....)

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

  5. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

  6. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 16 March 2008 18:36 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools
    >> | in a scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the
    >> | tools -- Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
    >> `----

    > WTF!!!
    >
    > Microsoft is corrupting academic *lectures* now too!!!
    >
    > "This Maths lesson is brought to you by Microsoft, the people who
    > redefined 4000 as 3999.99999999999999999"
    >
    > Jesus wept.

    I know the EU is cracking down on such behaviour (grassroots). I wonder if it
    could/should start looking into those universities which are /CONFIRMED/ to
    still be doing this.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Sun Mar 16 08:12 still logged in

  7. Re: [Rival] Old: Microsoft's Invaded Universities, Offered Academic Kickbacks

    > Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
    >| scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
    >| Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
    > `----
    >
    > http://chronicle.com/data/articles.d...r/33a03001.htm

    (April 24, 1998)

    Microsoft officials say the speakers' bureau, as it is called, is a
    well-intentioned effort to help faculty members cover their
    conference costs. Ethics watchdogs call it an unabashed attempt to
    turn professors into advertisers.

    --
    One thing we have got to change in our strategy - allowing Office documents to
    be rendered very well by other peoples browsers is one of the most destructive

+ Reply to Thread