automake - ignoring requisite files: missing,depcomp and install-sh - Linux

This is a discussion on automake - ignoring requisite files: missing,depcomp and install-sh - Linux ; I am running automake with the --foreign switch, but I am getting errors during build. configure.ac:26: required file `./missing' not found configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `missing' configure.ac:26: required file `./install-sh' not found configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh' src/Makefile.am: ...

  1. automake - ignoring requisite files: missing,depcomp and install-sh

    I am running automake with the --foreign switch, but I am getting errors
    during build.

    configure.ac:26: required file `./missing' not found
    configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `missing'
    configure.ac:26: required file `./install-sh' not found
    configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh'
    src/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
    src/Makefile.am: `automake --add-missing' can install `depcomp

    I know that these files can be generated using the add-missing tool. I
    would like to suppress installation of these files altogether. Is that
    possible?

    Is there any documentation relating to the purpose of these files?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  2. Re: automake - ignoring requisite files: missing,depcomp and install-sh

    Mark Hobley schrieb:

    Mark,

    > I am running automake with the --foreign switch, but I am getting errors
    > during build.

    > configure.ac:26: required file `./missing' not found
    > configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `missing'
    > configure.ac:26: required file `./install-sh' not found
    > configure.ac:26: `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh'
    > src/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
    > src/Makefile.am: `automake --add-missing' can install `depcomp
    >
    > I know that these files can be generated using the add-missing tool.

    you can simply apply

    autoreconf -i

    to get rid of these messages.

    > I would like to suppress installation of these files altogether. Is that
    > possible?

    I would first like to ask: 'Does this idea make sense at all?'

    > Is there any documentation relating to the purpose of these files?

    What about reading the automake handbook?

    http://www.gnu.org/software/automake...l/automake.pdf

    Guido

    --
    http://www.bayernline.de/~gscholz/