[News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead - Linux ; Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS3 running in Wine ,----[ Quote ] | It looks as if Wine might be supporting Adobe's Flash CS3 as well as | Photoshop CS3 on Linux in the near future. With the recent help from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS3 running in Wine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks as if Wine might be supporting Adobe's Flash CS3 as well as
    | Photoshop CS3 on Linux in the near future. With the recent help from Google
    | to get Photoshop CS and CS2 working properly in Wine a huge chunk of the
    | underlying architecture work was put in place for CS3 application support.
    | There are still a number of bugs that need to be triangled and fixed before
    | CS3 is properly supported but this is great news none the less.
    `----

    http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008...unning-in.html

    RIP another piece of FUD ("but it doesn't run Photoshop...").

    Recent:

    Wine status report: Photoshop CS3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wine is one of the fastest developed open source applications. A new Wine
    | version is released every two weeks. Not only can you run World of Warcraft,
    | but new and heavy games like Call of Duty 4 are also supported. One
    | application that users have been wanting to run on Linux for several years is
    | Adobe Photoshop. We’ve been doomed to use version 8 until recently. Google is
    | helping out with the development to have Photoshop CS3 supported. As for now,
    | Photoshop CS2 runs without any problems. * * *
    `----

    http://jonramvi.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/62/

    Related:

    Google behind Photoshop's new Linux compatibility

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "About 200 patches were committed to winehq, and as of wine-0.9.54, Photoshop
    | CS2 is quite usable," Kegel noted in a separate post.
    `----

    http://www.apcmag.com/8034/google_be..._compatibility

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    |
    | * * * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    | * * * Need for Speed Carbon
    | * *
    | [...]
    |
    | What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
    |
    | Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
    | install and shell out $300.
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

    Stop Wine From Beating Your Windows Apps With The Ugly Stick

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu 8.04 is planned to have usability improvements for Wine, among these
    | improvements is a theme for Wine applications that matches the GTK theme.
    | Can’t wait until April? *
    `----

    http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...he-ugly-stick/

    Wine is Getting Good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wine is at version 0.9.47. As it nears version 1.0, it's becoming clear that
    | the goals of the project are being met.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21069

  2. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:42:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ----[ Quote ]
    >| "About 200 patches were committed to winehq, and as of wine-0.9.54, Photoshop
    >| CS2 is quite usable," Kegel noted in a separate post.
    > `----

    Until Photoshop runs completely, totally without error and EXACTLY the same
    as it does under Windows, it's doomed as a Wine project.

    People who use Photoshop are typically professionals who earn their living
    working with graphics.

    These are not the type of people who can afford to put up with some half
    assed Wine look-a-alike.

    Wine people themselves say that Wine is still in development etc.

    And BTW if CS2 is "quite useable", where does that leave CS3?

    More FUD from Schestowitz.

    Hey, how's your website Roy?

    BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWaaa

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:48:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:42:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ----[ Quote ]
    >>| "About 200 patches were committed to winehq, and as of wine-0.9.54, Photoshop
    >>| CS2 is quite usable," Kegel noted in a separate post.
    >> `----

    > Until Photoshop runs completely, totally without error and EXACTLY the same
    > as it does under Windows, it's doomed as a Wine project.
    >
    > People who use Photoshop are typically professionals who earn their living
    > working with graphics.
    >
    > These are not the type of people who can afford to put up with some half
    > assed Wine look-a-alike.
    >
    > Wine people themselves say that Wine is still in development etc.
    >
    > And BTW if CS2 is "quite useable", where does that leave CS3?
    >
    > More FUD from Schestowitz.
    >
    > Hey, how's your website Roy?
    >
    > BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWaaa

    What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering, sneering
    piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group with you
    unpleasantness?

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:10:50 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering, sneering
    > piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group with you
    > unpleasantness?

    It's all he knows how to do. Quite sad, actually.

  5. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    ____/ Munchie Gasfart on Sunday 16 March 2008 13:30 : \____

    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:10:50 +0000, Kier wrote:
    >
    >> What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering, sneering
    >> piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group with you
    >> unpleasantness?

    > It's all he knows how to do. Quite sad, actually.

    Sometimes it's helpful because it indicates which posts are most damaging to
    Microsoft (and therefore most beneficial for the Munchkins to damage). This
    helps refocusing on the right issues in the future.

    Linux will grow quickly on the desktop when it's biggest antagonist is out of
    the picture, or poor. Mind the level of resistance from the Munchkins to
    reports about Microsoft reaching out for loans. Maybe Microsoft should start
    attacking its partner Reuters, as well.

    These are interesting times and Microsoft's weaknesses are not just the results
    of a recession, which in its own right makes a huge opportunity for Free
    software.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
    everything it touches."

    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

  6. Re: The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Mar 16, 5:42 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS3 running in Wine

    I wonder if WINE will also run that nasty virus that my Ubuntu got
    from your website (www.Schestowitz.com) and infected my Ubuntu machine
    with a nasty trojan virus that tried to steal my personal information
    including bank account numbers and passwords. I had to reformat the
    drive to get rid of that nasty malware.

  7. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS3 running in Wine
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It looks as if Wine might be supporting Adobe's Flash CS3 as well as
    > | Photoshop CS3 on Linux in the near future. With the recent help from Google
    > | to get Photoshop CS and CS2 working properly in Wine a huge chunk of the
    > | underlying architecture work was put in place for CS3 application support.
    > | There are still a number of bugs that need to be triangled and fixed before
    > | CS3 is properly supported but this is great news none the less.
    > `----
    >
    > http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008...unning-in.html
    >
    > RIP another piece of FUD ("but it doesn't run Photoshop...").

    It doesn't run it properly. Had you read the article you would know
    that. From the developer:

    ,----
    | Right, got Photoshop CS3 running now in current git. Looks like interface
    | suffers from quite some bugs though, see screenshot.
    `----

    Professional users (and they are the majority for PS) are not interested
    in a flaky UI when they are trying to get a job of work done. They do
    not care about the underlying OS - they just want it working.

    So yet more "alpha" code being heralded as the next big breakthrough. In
    SW development its often better to say nothing until it is ready. My bet
    is now that the developer has got the "main thing almost working" he
    will lose interested and wander off leaving the mess for someone else to
    pick up on.

  8. Re: The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    Johnny Rocket wrote:

    > I wonder if WINE will also run that nasty virus that my Ubuntu got
    > from your website (www.Schestowitz.com) and infected my Ubuntu machine
    > with a nasty trojan virus that tried to steal my personal information
    > including bank account numbers and passwords. I had to reformat the
    > drive to get rid of that nasty malware.

    Troll-O-Meter:

    0---1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---10
    ^
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....$656.66: Walmart price of the Beast

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  9. Re: The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 06:59:53 -0700, Johnny Rocket wrote:

    > On Mar 16, 5:42 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS3 running in Wine

    > I wonder if WINE will also run that nasty virus that my Ubuntu got from
    > your website (www.Schestowitz.com) and infected my Ubuntu machine with a
    > nasty trojan virus that tried to steal my personal information including
    > bank account numbers and passwords. I had to reformat the drive to get
    > rid of that nasty malware.

    What virus would that be?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    Kier wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:48:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >> Until Photoshop [snip]

    Yawn. Who cares?

    Photoshop is grossly overpriced; over-hyped junk.

    > What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering,
    > sneering piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group
    > with you unpleasantness?

    How about he stops polluting the human gene-pool, and goes back to the
    mental asylum where he belongs, so they can put him out of our misery.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    16:23:22 up 86 days, 13:59, 4 users, load average: 0.18, 0.08, 0.06

  11. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:23:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:48:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Until Photoshop [snip]

    > Yawn. Who cares?
    >
    > Photoshop is grossly overpriced; over-hyped junk.
    >
    >> What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering,
    >> sneering piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group
    >> with you unpleasantness?

    > How about he stops polluting the human gene-pool, and goes back to the
    > mental asylum where he belongs, so they can put him out of our misery.

    If nobody cares, why are you Linux boobies so interested in getting
    Photoshop to run under wine?

    Sounds like a classic case of sour grapes to me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 16 March 2008 16:23 : \____

    > Kier wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:48:04 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Until Photoshop [snip]

    > Yawn. Who cares?
    >
    > Photoshop is grossly overpriced; over-hyped junk.
    >
    >> What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering,
    >> sneering piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group
    >> with you unpleasantness?

    > How about he stops polluting the human gene-pool, and goes back to the
    > mental asylum where he belongs, so they can put him out of our misery.

    You're asking Gary Stewart to quit his job for a Microsoft proxy.

    I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago. Microsoft indeed employs
    an agency which ties up agents who spy on/harass people who write about
    Microsoft. That explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able to all mod down just
    hour after I had posted them.

    Now prepare for the classic response. Something about
    paranoia/amnesia/tinfoil/whatever. It'll be amusing. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Sun Mar 16 08:12 still logged in

  13. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:57:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 16 March 2008 16:23 : \____
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >> Yawn. Who cares?
    >>
    >> Photoshop is grossly overpriced; over-hyped junk.
    >>
    >>> What a tiresome, ugly little prick you are, flatty, you jeering,
    >>> sneering piece of worm-meat. How about you stop polluting this group
    >>> with you unpleasantness?

    >> How about he stops polluting the human gene-pool, and goes back to the
    >> mental asylum where he belongs, so they can put him out of our misery.

    > You're asking Gary Stewart to quit his job for a Microsoft proxy.
    >
    > I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago. Microsoft indeed employs
    > an agency which ties up agents who spy on/harass people who write about
    > Microsoft. That explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able to all mod down just
    > hour after I had posted them.

    Sure Roy Schestowitz.
    Sure.

    So how do you explain the other 115 people who also mod down your posts.

    http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_h...y_on_ODF_OOXML

    How do explain these comments:

    Let's see what digg.com users had to say when you posted this same general
    whine over there.

    http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_h...y_on_ODF_OOXML

    You got a -119 rating, that's what happened.

    Some comments:

    "sure schestowitz, Microsoft pays people to attack you, yeah yeah..."

    " Please, stop making up stuff, if somebody posts lame comment using your
    name on usenet it doesn't mean that it's "paid by M$" to attack you, maybe
    it's people pissed by your endless attacks to microsoft (you know... not
    everybody hates microsoft like you do, like there are people that love
    apple there are also people that love microsoft)."

    "Someone forgot their OCD meds today."

    "It wouldn't be unthinkable that you post crap under your own name, so that
    you can then say you're being targeted by MS 'posting under' your name.
    It's not a new tactic used by people who want to discredit someone else."

    " hate to say that, but you're a tinfoil wearing conspiracy nut, that
    believes that Microsoft is paying people to attack you. Here is a quote by
    yourself "(...) I wish it weren't the truth, but I'm being targeted." It's
    funny how you don't even read most of the articles that you're digging,
    instead you just jump into any MS-related article and insert your silly,
    taken out of context quotes.

    I hope that more people will notice this and ignore your crazy comments.
    You're really putting the Linux community in a bad light, and true Linux
    users are sure to thank you for your disservice. "

    " That comment was ridiculously long, if you've got *that* much to say then
    post it as it's own article. Or does the chip that the Microsoft agents
    planted in your brain prevent you from doing that? "

    And my personal favorite:

    "schestowitz is to Linux as Pat Robertson is to christanity.
    He drives away more people than he converts. "

    So yea Roy, you really are a loony toon and the people on other sites have
    you all figured out.

    No wonder you don't post on digg anymore.

    > Now prepare for the classic response. Something about
    > paranoia/amnesia/tinfoil/whatever. It'll be amusing. :-)

    Not half as amusing as watching your site get hacked.

    No Roy, the response is PROVE your statements and please don't refer back
    to another hate blogger for proof.

    Some verifiable proof would be appreciated.

    Now you can pretend you don't read these posts and run and hide.

    Obviously your atrocious digg rating has hit a nerve.
    Probably because your masters don't feel they are getting their monies
    worth with you anymore.

    Between your site getting hacked, trojans embedded on your webpages and you
    getting exposed for posting though Mark Kent's computer and using various
    different news servers,,, well,,, let's just say it hasn't been a good week
    for you Roy Schestowitz.

    Has it?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago. Microsoft indeed
    > employs an agency which ties up agents who spy on/harass people who
    > write about Microsoft. That explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able
    > to all mod down just hour after I had posted them.

    It doesn't typically take hours, either. These Munchkins are always
    Johnny-on-the-spot with their astroturfing. It's blatantly obvious that
    they have the official assistance of a Microsoft sponsored research
    department, or third-party researcher. I wouldn't put it past Gartner to
    provide such "services". In fact it wouldn't surprise me if half the
    trolls in COLA were actually Gartner employees.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:36:15 up 86 days, 15:12, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.06

  15. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:36:28 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago. Microsoft indeed
    >> employs an agency which ties up agents who spy on/harass people who
    >> write about Microsoft. That explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able
    >> to all mod down just hour after I had posted them.

    > It doesn't typically take hours, either. These Munchkins are always
    > Johnny-on-the-spot with their astroturfing. It's blatantly obvious that
    > they have the official assistance of a Microsoft sponsored research
    > department, or third-party researcher. I wouldn't put it past Gartner to
    > provide such "services". In fact it wouldn't surprise me if half the
    > trolls in COLA were actually Gartner employees.

    And not a single fact to back up your claims.
    That goes for both Roy Schestowitz and his shill [Homer].

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    [H]omer wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago.
    >> Microsoft indeed employs an agency which ties up agents who
    >> spy on/harass people who write about Microsoft. That
    >> explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able to all mod down just
    >> hour after I had posted them.

    > It doesn't typically take hours, either. These Munchkins are
    > always Johnny-on-the-spot with their astroturfing. It's
    > blatantly obvious that they have the official assistance of a
    > Microsoft sponsored research department, or third-party
    > researcher. I wouldn't put it past Gartner to provide such
    > "services". In fact it wouldn't surprise me if half the trolls
    > in COLA were actually Gartner employees.

    Well [H]omer, the funniest thing with these trolls, LOL, is their
    inability to read headers and articles and their silly arsed replies.

    It must have been done competitively, one of the consequences
    when a procurement department specifies lowest bid. I've never
    seen a bunch of lusing, low life scums in my life.

    However, in a way they have been a challenge. Their posting
    their gob****e has caused me to further research the truth.
    Interestingly enough, the more I research, I find that Linux and
    open source software is gaining momentum.

    Linux is here to stay.

    --
    HPT

  17. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    In article <2372135.H02uZXNWzN@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > RIP another piece of FUD ("but it doesn't run Photoshop...").

    How was it FUD if it in fact did not run Photoshop before this?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:08:58 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I received mail from Mary Jo Foley half an hour ago.
    >>> Microsoft indeed employs an agency which ties up agents who
    >>> spy on/harass people who write about Microsoft. That
    >>> explains why 4 COLA Munchkins were able to all mod down just
    >>> hour after I had posted them.

    >> It doesn't typically take hours, either. These Munchkins are
    >> always Johnny-on-the-spot with their astroturfing. It's
    >> blatantly obvious that they have the official assistance of a
    >> Microsoft sponsored research department, or third-party
    >> researcher. I wouldn't put it past Gartner to provide such
    >> "services". In fact it wouldn't surprise me if half the trolls
    >> in COLA were actually Gartner employees.

    > Well [H]omer, the funniest thing with these trolls, LOL, is their
    > inability to read headers and articles and their silly arsed replies.

    Who cares about headers.
    To quote you Linux kooks when you accuse people of being other people,
    "headers can be forged".
    And they can.

    Only you Linux nutballs go around reading headers.
    Most people read the body of the message.

    > It must have been done competitively, one of the consequences
    > when a procurement department specifies lowest bid. I've never
    > seen a bunch of lusing, low life scums in my life.

    Roy Schestowitz and Mark Kent are indeed losers, but scum?
    No, that's a little harsh.

    > However, in a way they have been a challenge. Their posting
    > their gob****e has caused me to further research the truth.
    > Interestingly enough, the more I research, I find that Linux and
    > open source software is gaining momentum.

    Yea...
    Sure...
    You just don't like it when you get outed.

    > Linux is here to stay.

    Now if only someone would inform the general public.

    With 0.6 percent of the desktop market, despite being free, it appears that
    few can find Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    In article <16n14ru8mqbfb.oh98oa0rzt9z.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > Until Photoshop runs completely, totally without error and EXACTLY the same
    > as it does under Windows, it's doomed as a Wine project.
    >
    > People who use Photoshop are typically professionals who earn their living
    > working with graphics.
    >
    > These are not the type of people who can afford to put up with some half
    > assed Wine look-a-alike.

    Actually, I bet the typical professional would be happier if it ran
    exactly like it does on OS X rather than exactly like it does on
    Windows. Graphics is an area where the pros generally look to the Mac
    version as what they want.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  20. Re: [News] The "No Photoshop" Excuse Against Linux is Dead

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:37:32 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <16n14ru8mqbfb.oh98oa0rzt9z.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> Until Photoshop runs completely, totally without error and EXACTLY the same
    >> as it does under Windows, it's doomed as a Wine project.
    >>
    >> People who use Photoshop are typically professionals who earn their living
    >> working with graphics.
    >>
    >> These are not the type of people who can afford to put up with some half
    >> assed Wine look-a-alike.

    > Actually, I bet the typical professional would be happier if it ran
    > exactly like it does on OS X rather than exactly like it does on
    > Windows. Graphics is an area where the pros generally look to the Mac
    > version as what they want.

    Point taken.