[News] Signs of Increased Interest in GNU/Linux for the Desktop - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Signs of Increased Interest in GNU/Linux for the Desktop - Linux ; Beginning Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I find I'm recently getting inquiries from various friends and business | associates who say they want to try Linux. `---- http://talesoftech.blogspot.com/2008...ing-linux.html The misguiding aspect of cost: Linux and Tom Sawyer ,----[ Quote ] ...

  1. [News] Signs of Increased Interest in GNU/Linux for the Desktop

    `----

    http://talesoftech.blogspot.com/2008...ing-linux.html

    The misguiding aspect of cost:

    Linux and Tom Sawyer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There’s one big factor in why Linux isn’t popular on the desktop. Linux is
    | free.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The same thing applies in the world of computers. Humans are naturally
    | suspicious of that which comes too easily. Imagine you were promoting an
    | expensive brand of champagne. If you were running around forcing free samples
    | into people’s hands, they would be very wary. But if you set up a stand where
    | you would offer small samples for 1000bucks each (”Special promotional
    | price! Normally costs three times as much!”), people would see your champagne
    | as posh and valuable.
    |
    | It’s still the same champagne. Yet your presentation radically changes
    | people’s perception of it.
    |
    | Which brings me to Linux. There’s one problem with Linux getting to new
    | users. It’s free.
    |
    | That’s right. Linux being free is a problem in reaching new customers.
    `----

    http://sathyaphoenix.wordpress.com/2...nd-tom-sawyer/

    Why else would Microsoft give Vista 'discounts' and sell it for over $700 in
    Holland (nobody wants it anyway)?

    Related:

    Why I like open source software: quality.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, the cost of the software has never really been a major
    | factor for me, and like I just mentioned, I don?t think freedom
    | is that much of an issue, either. My main reason for using open
    | source software is one of quality. Overall, I?ve found open
    | source software to often far exceed the capabilities and
    | functionality of many closed source, commercial systems.
    `----

    http://pinderkent.blogsavy.com/archi...om/archives/15
    http://tinyurl.com/yhcnzd

    Shuttle to release sub-$200 Linux box

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ONE OF THE potentially biggest announcements at CES will probably go
    | unnoticed by most, a Linux box from Shuttle. Get ready for a low priced
    | machine from a big name, a first that I am aware of.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-sub-200-linux

  2. Re: Signs of Increased Interest in GNU/Linux for the Desktop

    On Mar 16, 5:32 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Beginning Linux

    I was interested in Ubuntu but your website (www.Schestowitz.com)
    infected my Ubuntu machine with a nasty trojan virus that tried to
    steal my personal information including bank account numbers and
    passwords. I had to reformat the drive to get rid of that nasty
    malware.

+ Reply to Thread