[News] Moore’s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Moore’s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software - Linux ; The Moore’s Law of open source ,----[ Quote ] | In proprietary systems code is often tossed out in great handfuls when | someone finds a better way to go. In open source this code is available for | re-use, ...

  1. [News] Moore’s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software

    The Moore’s Law of open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In proprietary systems code is often tossed out in great handfuls when
    | someone finds a better way to go. In open source this code is available for
    | re-use, and thus it is re-used.
    |
    | In proprietary systems the amount of resources available for QA and design
    | are limited by the balance sheet. In open source they’re not.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2127

    Recent:

    The Total Growth of Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The significance of open source has been continuously increasing over time.
    | Our research validates this claim by looking at the total growth of open
    | source. Our work shows that the additions to open source projects, the total
    | project size (measured in source lines of code), the number of new open
    | source projects, and the total number of open source projects are growing at
    | an exponential rate. * *
    |
    | Our results open gates for further research around the growth of open source
    | and the acceptance of open source in industry and government. Future research
    | should explore questions like what factors are influencing this exponential
    | growth, how source code growth relates to the number of engaged software
    | developers, and whether or how long open source can sustain this exponential
    | growth. * *
    `----

    http://www.riehle.org/publications/2...f-open-source/

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Moore?s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The Moore?s Law of open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In proprietary systems code is often tossed out in great handfuls when
    > | someone finds a better way to go. In open source this code is available
    > | for re-use, and thus it is re-used.
    > |
    > | In proprietary systems the amount of resources available for QA and
    > | design are limited by the balance sheet. In open source they?re not.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2127

    I think a version of Moore's Law does exist for Open Source.
    The more open source, the more exponential the software development
    curve. Its such a steep curve that it will suck up all available
    software developers. Already in the last three more has happened
    in all of the preceeding years. Linux out of the box
    now has the biggest driver collection for an OS on the planet
    and its selling 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    Who knows - in another 3 years, it would have more than doubled.
    In 3 years, 32 bit embedded CPUs are so cheap that you will
    probably have 10 core or more in a little phone sized gadget.

  3. Re: [News] Moore?s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software

    7 writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> The Moore?s Law of open source
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In proprietary systems code is often tossed out in great handfuls when
    >> | someone finds a better way to go. In open source this code is available
    >> | for re-use, and thus it is re-used.
    >> |
    >> | In proprietary systems the amount of resources available for QA and
    >> | design are limited by the balance sheet. In open source they?re not.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2127

    > I think a version of Moore's Law does exist for Open Source.
    > The more open source, the more exponential the software development
    > curve. Its such a steep curve that it will suck up all available
    > software developers. Already in the last three more has happened
    > in all of the preceeding years. Linux out of the box
    > now has the biggest driver collection for an OS on the planet
    > and its selling 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    > Who knows - in another 3 years, it would have more than doubled.
    > In 3 years, 32 bit embedded CPUs are so cheap that you will
    > probably have 10 core or more in a little phone sized gadget.

    You talk more nonsense than High Plains Nymshifter and Mark Kent
    combined. I commend you.

  4. Re: [News] Moore?s Law Applied to Scale of Free Software

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    >7 writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Moore?s Law of open source
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> available

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2127

    >> I think a version of Moore's Law does exist for Open Source.
    >> The more open source, the more exponential the software development
    >> curve. Its such a steep curve that it will suck up all available
    >> software developers. Already in the last three more has happened
    >> in all of the preceeding years. Linux out of the box
    >> now has the biggest driver collection for an OS on the planet
    >> and its selling 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    >> Who knows - in another 3 years, it would have more than doubled.
    >> In 3 years, 32 bit embedded CPUs are so cheap that you will
    >> probably have 10 core or more in a little phone sized gadget.

    > You talk more nonsense than High Plains Nymshifter and Mark Kent
    > combined. I commend you.

    One interesting side issue for having "10 core or more in a little phone
    sized gadget" would be that it would be the first device to literally "burn
    a hole in your pocket", given the amount of discomfort that many single core
    32 bit laptops can create. Of course the batteries might only last for a
    second or two, self-mitigating the problem.

+ Reply to Thread