Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Rick Jelliffe Mouthpiece CriticisesBribery/Crime Doubters - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Rick Jelliffe Mouthpiece CriticisesBribery/Crime Doubters - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Yes, that "mob" which is against bribery at all levels, bullying, > panel-stacking, one-company 'standard', anti-GPL licence and software > patents. Needless to say, Rick Jelliffe is paid by Microsoft. Fact. Well naturally the goons on ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Rick Jelliffe Mouthpiece CriticisesBribery/Crime Doubters

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Yes, that "mob" which is against bribery at all levels, bullying,
    > panel-stacking, one-company 'standard', anti-GPL licence and software
    > patents. Needless to say, Rick Jelliffe is paid by Microsoft. Fact.

    Well naturally the goons on the payroll are not going to criticise their
    Mafia bosses' methods. Why these mouthpieces even bother to speak, much
    less expect to be taken seriously, is a mystery.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:26:04 up 85 days, 19:01, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Rick Jelliffe Mouthpiece Criticises Bribery/Crime Doubters

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 15 March 2008 21:26 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, that "mob" which is against bribery at all levels, bullying,
    >> panel-stacking, one-company 'standard', anti-GPL licence and software
    >> patents. Needless to say, Rick Jelliffe is paid by Microsoft. Fact.

    > Well naturally the goons on the payroll are not going to criticise their
    > Mafia bosses' methods. Why these mouthpieces even bother to speak, much
    > less expect to be taken seriously, is a mystery.

    The following memo explains the role of Rick Jelliffe, a consultant for
    Microsoft:

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    "Consultants: These guys are your best bets as moderators. Get a well-known
    consultant on your side early, but don’t let him publish anything blatantly
    pro-Microsoft. Then, get him to propose himself to the conference organizers
    as a moderator, whenever a panel opportunity comes up. Since he’s well-known,
    but apparently independent, he’ll be accepted - one less thing for the
    constantly-overworked conference organizer to worry about, right?"

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Microsoft

    PJ made some more interesting remarks, to be found here:

    How to Get Your Platform Accepted as a Standard - Microsoft Style

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the section of an internal manual on effective evangelism, written in 1997
    | by James Plamondon, Technical Evangelist, he lays out an elaborate series of
    | steps to get Microsoft's platforms accepted as de facto standards. Among the
    | steps lists are working behind the scenes with supposedly independent but
    | actually pliable and supportive analysts and consultants. * *
    `----

    Mind the comment at the bottom whose headline/subject is "Hello Rick" (or
    something along these lines). It came in response to an anonymous comment
    whining about the mentioning of Rick Jelliffe.

    For more information:

    EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
    | gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors. When
    | antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
    | challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
    | statements promising to "cooperate fully."
    |
    | But at the same time, Microsoft is still a tough competitor. As Microsoft's
    | Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow famously warned at his blog
    | last year:
    |
    | Make no mistake; all parties are looking at the full picture to find
    | strategies that will result in the outcome they desire. Provided - of
    | course - that they do so within the context of the rules that apply to
    | the process, this is exactly what one should expect to happen. It is
    | going to be a very interesting next few months.
    |
    | Indeed, the months that followed proved to be interesting indeed. Microsoft
    | said that some of its employees became over zealous, most flagrantly in
    | Sweden, where marketing assists were promised to several business partners as
    | incentives to join the national standards committee and vote for OOXM.
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80208082501776

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique.
    `----

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

    Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
    | include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
    | Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
    | that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
    | through.
    `----

    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux