[News] Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux - Linux ; Hardy Alpha 6 thoughts ,----[ Quote ] | I have recently upgraded to hardy alpha 6 and so far am very very pleased. | One thing I wanted to point out was hard comes with the latest Compiz Fusion | ...

  1. [News] Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux

    Hardy Alpha 6 thoughts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have recently upgraded to hardy alpha 6 and so far am very very pleased.
    | One thing I wanted to point out was hard comes with the latest Compiz Fusion
    | and so far it is much stabler and smoother for me then the previous version.
    `----

    http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com...-thoughts.html

    Nice new way of sharing Linux:

    Sticky open source marketing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now you go to a non-tech trade show, the kind your prospects live at. You buy
    | a booth. You talk to people. At the end of your conversation, instead of
    | saying “go to the Web site,” you hand them a stick.
    |
    | Get their card first. Make sure you note on the back that they got a stick.
    | Then call a week or so later. See if the stick was used. See if they have any
    | questions. Don’t make a sales pitch, make a use pitch.
    |
    | My guess is this will open up a lot of large accounts that have, until now,
    | resisted open source. Find a decision maker, give him the stick, follow up,
    | and don’t ask for the order until they’re already a satisfied user.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2121

    Related:

    Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
    | back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
    | 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
    | some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
    | 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
    | Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
    | was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/d...-vs-linux.html

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice. *
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

    Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For starters, almost 20,000 self-selected users filled out this year's survey
    | compared with fewer than 10,000 in 2006's survey.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In those businesses and organizations that have deployed Linux desktops, 39.5
    | percent are running Linux on more than half of their machines.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

  2. Re: Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release ofUbuntu Linux

    On Mar 15, 4:12*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > HardyAlpha6 thoughts
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I have recently upgraded to hardyalpha6 and so far am very very pleased.
    > | One thing I wanted to point out was hard comes with the latest Compiz Fusion
    > | and so far it is much stabler and smoother for me then the previous version. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com...-thoughts.html
    >
    > Nice new way of sharing Linux:

    Currently using Xubuntu 8.04 Alpha 6 as a live CD, and it's really
    nice. I like the new "Places" taskbar widget. I'll test out Kubuntu
    KDE4 Alpha 6 later this evening.

  3. Re: Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release ofUbuntu Linux

    On Mar 16, 9:01 pm, Darth Chaos wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 4:12 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    > > HardyAlpha6 thoughts

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | I have recently upgraded to hardyalpha6 and so far am very very pleased.
    > > | One thing I wanted to point out was hard comes with the latest Compiz Fusion
    > > | and so far it is much stabler and smoother for me then the previous version.
    > > `----

    > >http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com...-thoughts.html

    > > Nice new way of sharing Linux:

    > Currently using Xubuntu 8.04Alpha 6as a live CD, and it's really
    > nice. I like the new "Places" taskbar widget. I'll test out Kubuntu
    > KDE4Alpha 6later this evening.

    Kubuntu KDE4 Alpha is really neat as well. I'm glad they included
    Firefox. I'm not a big fan of Konqueror. And the Adept package manager
    is really neat.

  4. Re: Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Sunday 16 March 2008 21:19 : \____

    > On Mar 16, 9:01 pm, Darth Chaos wrote:
    >> On Mar 15, 4:12 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > HardyAlpha6 thoughts

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> >http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com...-thoughts.html

    >> > Nice new way of sharing Linux:

    >> Currently using Xubuntu 8.04Alpha 6as a live CD, and it's really
    >> nice. I like the new "Places" taskbar widget. I'll test out Kubuntu
    >> KDE4Alpha 6later this evening.

    > Kubuntu KDE4 Alpha is really neat as well. I'm glad they included
    > Firefox. I'm not a big fan of Konqueror. And the Adept package manager
    > is really neat.

    At home I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 with kde-desktop installed. It works really
    nicely. Not a single problem since I installed it.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
    Tasks: 172 total, 1 running, 171 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie