Armada hands over 10,000 free school software distributives through internet

,----[ Quote ]
| ‘According to the government contract we should provide no less than 50% of
| urban and 20% of rural schools with free software up to the end of 2008 in
| three Russian regions: the republic of Tatarstan, Perm and Tomsk Regions, -
| says Igor Gorbatov, deputy director general of Armada.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/line/indexE...8/03/14/292072

Yesterday:

Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| A free online alternative to the Windows operating system is set to be
| introduced in schools in three Russian regions by 2009. If the pilot project
| proves successful, all schools across the country will make the switch a year
| later. *
`----

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/22094

Recent:

Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Recent interest towards FOSS from the Russian government has boosted
| commercial activity in this field. No longer than a year ago there was no
| single large company that would say it is capable of doing FOSS system
| integration projects. Now there are three, and the number will probably grow. *
|
| Nobody is particularly sure about how to do business with FOSS, but it is
| already evident that it can be done somehow. That is why the larger ones are
| jumping on the bandwagon simply not to be late. *
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/...hot-in-russia/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
| device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
| the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
| mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
| countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
| Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
| for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/05/15/249978

Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool
event

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
| category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
| competition was held by the department of information technologies and
| computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
| Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
| and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
| dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux. *
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/..._softool_event

Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
| France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
| Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
| Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
| PCs running confidential information. * *
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
| solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
| companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
| are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.
`----

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
| perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
| in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
| system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
| technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
| given the respective reputations of both countries. * *
`----

Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

,----[ Quote ]
| The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
| contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
| will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
| problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
| information into the future.” * *
`----

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4410&zoneid=57

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. * *
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

Linux being launched at schools

,----[ Quote ]