[News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux - Linux ; Münchner Oberbürgermeister lehnt ISO-Standardisierung von OOXML ab http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenc...meldung/105074 GL has the translation: Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German) ,----[ Quote ] | Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for | ...

  1. [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    Münchner Oberbürgermeister lehnt ISO-Standardisierung von OOXML ab

    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenc...meldung/105074

    GL has the translation:

    Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for
    | Economics and Technology, Michael Glos, he thinks there should be a
    | clear "no" to the standardization of OOXML. The German Institute for
    | Standardization (DIN) is currently evaluating how to vote in the ISO
    | standardisation procedure. All the city needs, Ude indicates, is OpenDocument
    | Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
    | weakened by a competiting standards....
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

    Here is a world of diversity and choice (life beyond monoculture):

    Free/Open-source Word Processors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A word processor, as you may all know, is a computer application that is used
    | for the production (including composition, editing, formatting, and possibly
    | printing) of any sort 0f printable material. It is considered as one of the
    | earliest applications for the personal computer in office productivity.
    `----

    http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/03/...rocessors.html

    Munich's migration to GNU/Linux was successful and a lot of eyes use it as a
    case study. Therefore, the Munchkins would lie through their teeth telling a
    bogus story.

    Related:

    LiMux The Penguin: Deep into Munich?s Linux F/OSS migration

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Munich's Linux migration has been a publicity frenzy, a
    | software patent poster child, and the subject of a debate
    | on the role of government in technology mandates. Now it's
    | a real-life IT project, and the key to success is training,
    | management, and replacing 170 non-Linux applications.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Now, after enormous criticism and a nearly complete halt,
    | it's becoming a successful migration if for very important
    | reasons: it's going well, quietly, and on plan.
    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/...ich-linux.html

    Munich mayor: Full speed ahead to open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although numerous other European cities are closely
    | following the LiMux project, Hoegner is hesitant to
    | estimate how many will ever take the leap and deploy
    | open source on a large scale. "Politicians don't know
    | enough about open source and are worried about making
    | a mistake," he said. "Believe me, my head would have
    | been on the block if things had backfired here."
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...nsource_1.html
    http://tinyurl.com/yck48j

    Old:

    Munich Linux scales desktop management

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The City of Munich has developed impressive systems
    | for rolling out and maintaining Linux desktops for
    | large numbers of users, according to a British
    | developer who had a close-up view of the system.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "Most of the work has been in configuration and
    | systems... rather than custom packages on the clients
    | themselves," McIntyre said in a blog post last week.
    | "The vast majority of the packages installed come
    | straight from the standard Debian archive."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | LiMux developers have automated installation via
    | Debian's FAI (fully automatic installation) system,
    | according to McIntyre, with configuration information
    | stored in LDAP and the database administration
    | program GOsa as a front-end. "They've integrated
    | these to enable some very clever management features
    | so that all aspects of the city-wide system can be
    | maintained from one central point," McIntyre said.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...gtype=samechan

    Munich Begins to Switch Windows Out for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since Tuesday, the first 100 of the city?s 14,000 PCs have been switched
    | from Microsoft?s Windows operating system and Office applications to Linux
    | and OpenOffice.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The configuration is based on Linux Distribution Debian GNU/Linux 3.1,
    | the KDE 3.5 user interface and OpenOffice 2.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In September, the Norwegian city decided to focus on building an
    | e-government portal first and later migrate its Windows-based systems to
    | a Linux environment.
    |
    | Vienna is another big European city with ambitious plans to roll out Linux
    | in its public administration.
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25009

  2. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    [...]
    > | Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
    > | weakened by a competiting standards....
    > `----

    ????!!!!

    Google yields:

    "Aside from his position as lord mayor, he is also political cabaret
    artist."

    Well, now you can be assured that Germany will, if required, vote (once
    again) in favor of OOXML.

    "Germany votes in favour of the adoption of Office Open XML as an
    International Standard but with numerous recommendations for
    improvements

    (2007-08-22) In international standardization, so-called "mirror
    committees" are set up to form the national standpoint on current
    standardization projects: in this case on the initiative of Ecma
    International for the fast-track adoption of the standard ECMA-376
    "Office Open XML (OOXML)" as an International Standard, ISO/IEC 29500.
    All 103 full members of the International Organization for
    Standardization (ISO) are entitled to vote on this proposal until 2
    September 2007 with one vote per country.

    The 6,000 page ECMA-376 standard, published in December 2006, documents
    an XML file format for office applications originally developed by
    Microsoft. This is the second such format proposed for standardization
    at the international level: The Open Document Format developed by the
    Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
    (OASIS) is the subject of ISO/IEC 26300 "Information technology - Open
    Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) ", already
    published at the end of last year.

    After months of intensive deliberation on the OOXML specification, the
    responsible German committee in the Standards Committee on Information
    Technology and Selected IT Applications (NIA) at DIN met on 21 August
    2007 in Berlin. Representatives of software providers, application
    developers, research institutes, federal ministries and government
    agencies discussed the various viewpoints which had been submitted,
    finally deciding to approve the draft version of ISO/IEC 29500, albeit
    with extensive comments containing proposed technical improvements to
    the ECMA standard. The German comments which take up dozens of pages -
    will be submitted to ISO.

    Queries on this subject should be addressed to:
    Mr. Jan Dittberner
    Standards Committee on Information Technology and selected IT
    Applications
    Tel. +49 30 2601 2017"

    http://www.din.de/cmd;jsessionid=655...&languageid=en

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "12/21/2007 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...
    01/22/2008 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...

    -- 1:07-cv-11070-LTS aka Never Beginning "GPL Enforcement" case

  3. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Munich's migration to GNU/Linux was successful and a lot of eyes use
    > it as a case study.

    The migration isn't close to being done, has taken 5 years (since the
    announcement) just to get a few thousand machines switched over, they still
    run Windows servers and clients for many apps, they still use lots of
    proprietary systems, the initial cost projections were exorbitant (more than
    $3000 per system) http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9162746,00.htm
    and exceeded the cost of upgrading their MS infrastructure.

    It's a fact that the Munich migration is to date a huge failure by any
    rational measure or consideration.

    This migration was undertaken for one reason only: German nationalism. They
    wanted to try and wean this important, visible city government off American
    proprietary code. At best it may pay off financially - but not in any big
    way - over several upgrade cycles (20+ years, considering they stayed with
    NT for 8 years).

    > Therefore, the Munchkins would lie through their
    > teeth telling a bogus story.

    You and your ilk are the liars.

    And since you claim the migration "was successful" (past tense), why are 4
    out of 4 of your links about the migration from 2006? Where are the current
    links showing how successful the migration is going, and telling us about
    all the happy users, the smooth transition to OpenOffice, the productivity
    gains, the cost savings, the infamous Linux stability (see my recent '62
    pages of Ubuntu crapware freezing' thread)? Well?

  4. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 04:29:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > They'll carry on spreading the Big Lie. It's best just not to feed them because
    > this is an unmoderated forum. They can't post lies which cannot be removed.

    Yea just like you do Roy Schestowitz.
    Seed that google!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

  6. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    bab****.latreen espoused:
    > Moshe is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)
    >
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Whoever you be, should you be able to add something like [GS] in the
    subject line to these follow-ups, I'd be very very grateful.

    Ta,

  7. Re: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:15:43 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > bab****.latreen espoused:
    >> Moshe is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    > Whoever you be, should you be able to add something like [GS] in the
    > subject line to these follow-ups, I'd be very very grateful.
    >
    > Ta,

    Hahahaha!
    You clowns are nuking your own group and don't even realize it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/