What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system? - Linux

This is a discussion on What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system? - Linux ; "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as follows: /boot/grub/menu.lst: kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55...

  1. What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    follows:

    /boot/grub/menu.lst:

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

  2. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:49:06 -0500, "DFS" wrote:

    >"I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    >follows:
    >
    >/boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >
    >kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    >nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >
    >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    Whoah! Too bad his shiny multicore CPU is not single-core and, oops,
    no power management either and its but fell back to some older/slower
    mode, but at least it WORKS. Well, sort of...

  3. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:49:06 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options
    > as follows:
    >
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    > nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    Speaking of acpi, I wonder of the EU Commission knows about this:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems

    "From the ACPI Spec (Page 14):"

    "An OEM must supply a DSDT to an ACPI-compatible OS. The DSDT contains
    the Differentiated Definition Block, which supplies the implementation
    and configuration information about the base system. The OS always
    inserts the DSDT information into the ACPI Namespace at system boot time
    and never removes it."

    "Well of course this boils down to the DSDT describes the configuration
    of your system. It has definitions of all of the devices that ACPI
    supports, and describes their capabilities. So, for example, it
    describes the battery, AC Adapter, Embedded Controller, Fans and Thermal
    Zones. It presents this information in a hierarchical manner, so that
    ACPI (and therefore the OS) can be aware of dependency relationships
    among the system hardware. The DSDT is loaded at boot time. It basically
    tells the ACPI drivers what to watch out for."

    "The ACPI Specification defines the requirements for the DSDT (and
    everything else, for that matter) pretty explicitly. Intel's ASL
    compiler, iasl, used to compile the DSDT to AML from ASL, will throw
    errors and warnings if the underlying ASL is buggy. Unfortunately,
    Microsoft's ASL compiler allows many of these errors and warnings to
    sneak by. As a result, many OEMs write buggy DSDTs, and it turns out
    that Windows is very forgiving of bugs in the DSDT that get by
    Microsoft's compiler (not surprisingly)."

    "What this means is that a DSDT that does not conform to the ACPI
    specification will work under Windows, even though it shouldn't.
    However, when you try to use it in Linux, where the ACPI developers
    expect that the DSDT is written to comply with the standard (and the
    Intel ASL compiler), the buggy sections of the DSDT are unsupported. If
    you have a buggy DSDT, ACPI may not be aware that certain devices
    exist. Or, if it is aware, it may not support all of their
    capabilities. If you have either of these symptoms (missing or
    incompletely supported functionality in /proc/acpi), then the cause may
    be a buggy DSDT."

    The net result of all this? A fair number of machines that run fine
    under Windows, but when the user tries to switch to Linux various acpi
    functions fail to work at all, do bizarre things, and/or the system
    suffers seemingly random crashes. To users this all appears to be caused
    by instabilities and programming errors in Linux because they often seem
    random and none occur under Windows on the same machine. But in fact,
    they are due to Microsoft's compiler failing to flag AML errors that
    Windows itself "just happens" to work around.

  4. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 01:35:21 -0000, El Tux wrote:

> [...]

    > you have a buggy DSDT, ACPI may not be aware that certain devices
    > exist. Or, if it is aware, it may not support all of their
    > capabilities. If you have either of these symptoms (missing or
    > incompletely supported functionality in /proc/acpi), then the cause may
    > be a buggy DSDT."

    > The net result of all this? A fair number of machines that run fine
    > under Windows, but when the user tries to switch to Linux various acpi
    > functions fail to work at all, do bizarre things, and/or the system
    > suffers seemingly random crashes. To users this all appears to be caused
    > by instabilities and programming errors in Linux because they often seem
    > random and none occur under Windows on the same machine. But in fact,
    > they are due to Microsoft's compiler failing to flag AML errors that
    > Windows itself "just happens" to work around.

    I'll bet Grandma will just love reading that while she is trying to bake
    her next cake.

    Give me a break already.

    Linux has too much slopware.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

  6. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:13:52 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > LMAO! They need you over in the Windows forums. It's a real mess, that
    > slopware.

    Maybe he and Hadron can become moderators over there!

  7. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Mar 15, 4:49 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    > follows:
    >
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    > nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    My shiny new Ubuntu system was pretty sweet before it got infected
    with a nasty trojan virus at www.Schestowitz.com so that he could
    steal my identity. I had to do a low level format of the disk to get
    rid of the malware that he forced onto my linux machine.

  8. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 06:57:18 -0700, Johnny Rocket wrote:

    > On Mar 15, 4:49 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options
    >> as follows:
    >>
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >>
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    >> nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=55

    > My shiny new Ubuntu system was pretty sweet before it got infected with
    > a nasty trojan virus at www.Schestowitz.com so that he could steal my
    > identity. I had to do a low level format of the disk to get rid of the
    > malware that he forced onto my linux machine.

    What trojan, exactly is it?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:01:42 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> LMAO! They need you over in the Windows forums. It's a real mess,
    >> that slopware.

    > It's been said that Linux makes you stupid - and cola "advocates"
    > present compelling evidence of that - but ry to resist the urge to be as
    > idiotic as the moron 7.

    They need you over in the Windows forums. It's a real mess, that
    slopware. Does the truth hurt that much?

    Oh woe is Dumb ****ing ****.

    > MS has everyone under their thumb,

    Not as much as in bygone years, but still too much.

    > forcing them to
    > post positive Vista reviews on NewEgg. Or they're all just MS
    > employee-shills, posting fake reviews.
    >
    >> You type. You lie.

    > Where?

    Here, there, everywhere.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:03:46 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> FOSS and Linux are here to stay.

    > Linux was here to stay years ago - tell us something new ya lamer.

    ... and it has stayed.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    Rick wrote:

    > LMAO! They need you over in the Windows forums. It's a real mess,
    > that slopware.

    It's been said that Linux makes you stupid - and cola "advocates" present
    compelling evidence of that - but ry to resist the urge to be as idiotic as
    the moron 7.

    >> A LOT more than you can find of positive Linux reviews.

    > Of course there are, bigot. That doesn't prove anything except
    > Microsoft's market control.

    Oh woe is (p)Rick. MS has everyone under their thumb, forcing them to post
    positive Vista reviews on NewEgg. Or they're all just MS employee-shills,
    posting fake reviews.

    > You type. You lie.

    Where?

  12. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > FOSS and Linux are here to stay.

    Linux was here to stay years ago - tell us something new ya lamer.

  13. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    Johnny Rocket wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 4:49 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot
    >> options as follows:
    >>
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >>
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro
    >> quiet nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    > My shiny new Ubuntu system was pretty sweet before it got infected
    > with a nasty trojan virus at www.Schestowitz.com so that he could
    > steal my identity. I had to do a low level format of the disk to get
    > rid of the malware that he forced onto my linux machine.

    It's a good start, but it would be a better troll if it were true.

  14. Re: What's in store for Grandma with her shiny new Ubuntu system?

    On Mar 16, 1:57*pm, Johnny Rocket wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 4:49 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >
    > > "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    > > follows:

    > > /boot/grub/menu.lst:

    > > kernel * * * * */boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    > > nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi

    > >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    > My shiny newUbuntusystem was pretty sweet before it got infected
    > with a nasty trojan virus atwww.Schestowitz.comso that he could
    > steal my identity. I had to do a low level format of the disk to get
    > rid of the malware that he forced onto my linux machine.

    Suuure........nut****. You're probably also a twoofer.

+ Reply to Thread