[News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive - - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive - - Linux ; All government agencies must change to open source software, the national government says in an action plan presented today. Amsterdam is already testing such software and will decide on whether to renew its Microsoft contract in December. http://www.nieuwsuitamsterdam.nl/Eng...pen_source.htm -- |_|0|_| ...

  1. [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    Quote:

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  2. Re: [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    ml2mst writes:

    > Quote:
    >
    > All government agencies must change to open source software, the
    > national government says in an action plan presented today. Amsterdam
    > is already testing such software and will decide on whether to renew
    > its Microsoft contract in December.
    >
    > http://www.nieuwsuitamsterdam.nl/Eng...pen_source.htm

    Q: does this include the OS?

    --
    Honi soit la vache qui rit.

  3. Re: [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:43:23 +0200
    :
    > ml2mst writes:
    >
    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> All government agencies must change to open source software, the
    >> national government says in an action plan presented today. Amsterdam
    >> is already testing such software and will decide on whether to renew
    >> its Microsoft contract in December.
    >>
    >> http://www.nieuwsuitamsterdam.nl/Eng...pen_source.htm

    > Q: does this include the OS?

    One would assume so, as the general idea apparently
    is to decrease dependence on Microsoft workstations.
    Unfortunately, the provided English PDF is unreadable by
    open source tools (apparently, they're not using the PDF
    equivalent of the PostScript 'showpage' quite correctly).

    In any event, they'll have to renew anyway. The workers
    will revolt otherwise, as they have grown comfortable
    with Microsoft. (At least, that's what Microsoft hopes,
    presumably.)

    We'll know shortly before Christmas.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  4. Re: [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    ____/ ml2mst on Tuesday 18 September 2007 17:30 : \____

    > Quote:
    >
    > All government agencies must change to open source software, the
    > national government says in an action plan presented today. Amsterdam is
    > already testing such software and will decide on whether to renew its
    > Microsoft contract in December.
    >
    > http://www.nieuwsuitamsterdam.nl/Eng...pen_source.htm

    Yes, it's looking good. I saw this yesterday and appended some relevant past
    articles which suggest it's inevitable. It has gone on for quite some time.

    What's curious is the fact that my Web sites get a lot of traffic from the
    Netherlands. It's at number 5 or so, among all nations, which seems to
    indicate that there's open source affinity there. It's not even normalised by
    population size!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O

  5. Re: [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > One would assume so, as the general idea apparently is to decrease
    > dependence on Microsoft workstations. Unfortunately, the provided
    > English PDF is unreadable by open source tools (apparently, they're
    > not using the PDF equivalent of the PostScript 'showpage' quite
    > correctly).

    Maybe this will help:

    http://slated.org/netherlands_goes_open_source

    http://slated.org/files/7102246.odt

    My poor translation (with some help from Babelfish):

    http://slated.org/files/7102246-en.odt

    Gist:

    "Diminish the dependence on suppliers in the use of ICT by accelerated
    commitment to Open Standards and Open Source software."

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    03:40:37 up 41 days, 2:35, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.23, 0.18

  6. Re: [News] Netherlands goes Open Source - it's definitive -

    ml2mst wrote:
    > Quote:
    >
    > All government agencies must change to open source software, the
    > national government says in an action plan presented today. Amsterdam
    > is already testing such software and will decide on whether to renew
    > its Microsoft contract in December.
    >
    > http://www.nieuwsuitamsterdam.nl/Eng...pen_source.htm

    hmmm... you've obviously been puckering up and slurping on Roy Schestowitz's
    ass [inexplicably, you would actually do it if he presented it to you], and
    using his scummy lying tactic where the thread title doesn't match anything
    in the article he cites:

    1) it's only Netherland govt agencies
    2) it's not definitive - it depends on the outcome of tests they're
    conducting

    I follow this rule of thumb, which is remarkably accurate: everything a
    Linux "advocate" says about Windows or Linux or open source should be
    assumed a lie.

+ Reply to Thread