Looking for apps. in electricity - Linux

This is a discussion on Looking for apps. in electricity - Linux ; Hi all, I'm looking for projects (preferably GPL) which are active in the electricity domain, right from grabbing data from electronic/digital meters to full fledged SCADA . I know Virginia Power has done lots in this regard. If somebody knows ...

  1. Looking for apps. in electricity

    Hi all,
    I'm looking for projects (preferably GPL) which are active in the
    electricity domain, right from grabbing data from electronic/digital
    meters to full fledged SCADA . I know Virginia Power has done lots in
    this regard. If somebody knows more please enlighten.

    Also newbie in the group, hence apologies if some mistakes are there.

  2. Re: Looking for apps. in electricity

    On Mar 15, 6:44 pm, shirish wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm looking for projects (preferably GPL) which are active in the
    > electricity domain, right from grabbing data from electronic/digital
    > meters to full fledged SCADA . I know Virginia Power has done lots in
    > this regard. If somebody knows more please enlighten.
    >
    > Also newbie in the group, hence apologies if some mistakes are there.

    I used to be in the industry until some years ago and everything
    seemed to be proprietary then. Generally speaking communications
    protocols were very much governed by hardware needs and limitations as
    well as what communications 'bearers' (eg available channeling in
    power line carrier schemes) were available.When I started in the
    business in New Zealand, wind-up party line telephones, vacuum tube
    carrier systems, electromechanical SCADA, HF radios were main types of
    communication and control - it all sounds pretty primitive now. An
    early 'supervisory' system I had something to do with required three
    signalling channels each way to keep the terminal equipment simple -
    that consisted of uniselectors and relays as used in Strowger type
    central offices.

    I have followed industry trends to some degree but am not aware of any
    open source projects. Retailers with 500,000+ customers would most
    probably used customised software for revenue data capture and
    billing, and the customisations would be very much treated as 'trade
    secrets'.

+ Reply to Thread