[News] SCO Entered a Losing Battle, Microsoft Might be Next - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] SCO Entered a Losing Battle, Microsoft Might be Next - Linux ; SCO Lawsuits: 'Misguided From the Start' ,----[ Quote ] | One takeaway of the SCO filing is that "dubious legal claims are not a | business strategy," said Amanda McPherson, marketing director for the Linux | Foundation. "Building a business ...

  1. [News] SCO Entered a Losing Battle, Microsoft Might be Next

    SCO Lawsuits: 'Misguided From the Start'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One takeaway of the SCO filing is that "dubious legal claims are not a
    | business strategy," said Amanda McPherson, marketing director for the Linux
    | Foundation. "Building a business on Linux, instead of attacking it, has led
    | to prosperity. Compare SCO and Red Hat, for instance," she said.
    `----

    http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...he-Start.xhtml

    Microsoft must 'change its illegal behavior'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Let me be clear, ladies and gentlemen, there is one company that will have
    | to change its illegal behavior as a result of this ruling, and that is
    | Microsoft," Kroes said at a news conference.
    `----

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi

    Related:

    Microsoft send extortionate threat to Kroes...

    Microsoft Hard-Balling EU Over Vista *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This is part of the negotiating strategy," a person familiar with the
    | situation told internetnews.com. "They're in a public relations battle."
    |
    | Microsoft made the same threat to South Korean regulators, but did not
    | follow through when they lost that battle.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3631041

    Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
    | is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
    | patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
    | an executive said Thursday.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
    | who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
    | market position.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/...apan_microsoft

    European Commission denies favouring open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Commission's statement comes just days after it was lobbied to
    | clarify its position on open source. The Initiative for Software
    | Choice (ISC) wrote to the Commission immediately after the
    | release of the report urging it to contact the "international
    | press" to "set the record straight" over its stance. The ISC's
    | external affairs are handled by CompTIA, which is funded by
    | several IT vendors including Microsoft.
    | * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    `----

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30012007/15...en-source.html

  2. Re: SCO Entered a Losing Battle, Microsoft Might be Next

    On Sep 18, 8:48 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > SCO Lawsuits: 'Misguided From the Start'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One takeaway of the SCO filing is that "dubious legal claims are not a
    > | business strategy," said Amanda McPherson, marketing director for the Linux
    > | Foundation. "Building a business on Linux, instead of attacking it, has led
    > | to prosperity. Compare SCO and Red Hat, for instance," she said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...Lawsuits-Misgu...

    This has been commented upon a lot, but it's hard to be completely
    satisfied with the justice when someone (SCO) with nothing but bogus
    claims from the beginning, who never presented one shred of evidence
    to back up their claims, were able to drag this miserable business out
    for so long. As far as I'm concerned, it should have been put up or
    shut up on day one. And of course if it had not been for groklaw,
    they would have succeeded in one of their and Microsoft's main goals
    even while losing the case in the end, namely, casting doubt on Linux
    and slowing its adoption. Indeed that goal was achieved for a while,
    a year maybe.

    Another remarkable thing is how Caldera, which used to be a Linux
    distributor who made real contributions to the community turned
    overnight into a litigation corporation, upon the accession of McBride
    to the throne. It was completely different under Noorda. So there
    were a lot of people, employees, customers, and victims of the
    lawsuits, who suffered just because of a change in management. Makes
    me wonder if there's another story behind that.

  3. Re: SCO Entered a Losing Battle, Microsoft Might be Next

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 18 September 2007 17:32 : \____

    > On Sep 18, 8:48 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> SCO Lawsuits: 'Misguided From the Start'
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | One takeaway of the SCO filing is that "dubious legal claims are not a
    >> | business strategy," said Amanda McPherson, marketing director for the
    >> | Linux Foundation. "Building a business on Linux, instead of attacking it,
    >> | has led to prosperity. Compare SCO and Red Hat, for instance," she said.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/...Lawsuits-Misgu...

    > This has been commented upon a lot, but it's hard to be completely
    > satisfied with the justice when someone (SCO) with nothing but bogus
    > claims from the beginning, who never presented one shred of evidence
    > to back up their claims, were able to drag this miserable business out
    > for so long. As far as I'm concerned, it should have been put up or
    > shut up on day one. And of course if it had not been for groklaw,
    > they would have succeeded in one of their and Microsoft's main goals
    > even while losing the case in the end, namely, casting doubt on Linux
    > and slowing its adoption. Indeed that goal was achieved for a while,
    > a year maybe.
    >
    > Another remarkable thing is how Caldera, which used to be a Linux
    > distributor who made real contributions to the community turned
    > overnight into a litigation corporation, upon the accession of McBride
    > to the throne. It was completely different under Noorda. So there
    > were a lot of people, employees, customers, and victims of the
    > lawsuits, who suffered just because of a change in management. Makes
    > me wonder if there's another story behind that.

    I am not intimately familiar with these stories because I only became more
    involved with Linux news about 2 years ago. But there appear to be some other
    stories there and Groklaw is the place to learn about them. As for McBride,
    many say he should be sued. I continue to wonder if he has some fat bank
    account hidden somewhere (and, if so, someone must be keeping it fat).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O