[News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!! - Linux ; Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software ,----[ Quote ] | A free online alternative to the Windows operating system is set to be | introduced in schools in three Russian regions by 2009. If the pilot project ...

  1. [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A free online alternative to the Windows operating system is set to be
    | introduced in schools in three Russian regions by 2009. If the pilot project
    | proves successful, all schools across the country will make the switch a year
    | later.
    `----

    http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/22094

    Recent:

    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    “A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system.
    Although we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages
    in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the popularization of
    the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
    our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open source
    software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source
    software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the extent
    open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products
    may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products, and
    revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. ”

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recent interest towards FOSS from the Russian government has boosted
    | commercial activity in this field. No longer than a year ago there was no
    | single large company that would say it is capable of doing FOSS system
    | integration projects. Now there are three, and the number will probably grow. *
    |
    | Nobody is particularly sure about how to do business with FOSS, but it is
    | already evident that it can be done somehow. That is why the larger ones are
    | jumping on the bandwagon simply not to be late. *
    `----

    http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/...hot-in-russia/

    Related:

    2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
    | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
    | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
    | mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
    | countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
    | Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
    | for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/05/15/249978

    Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool
    event

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
    | category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
    | competition was held by the department of information technologies and
    | computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
    | Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
    | and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
    | dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/..._softool_event

    Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
    | France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
    | Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
    | Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
    | PCs running confidential information. * *
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

    Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
    | solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
    | companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
    | are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
    `----

    http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

    Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
    | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
    | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
    |
    | [..]
    |
    | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
    | software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
    | Ekho Moskvi reports.
    `----

    Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
    | perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
    | in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
    | system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
    | technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
    | given the respective reputations of both countries. * *
    `----

    Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
    | contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
    | will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
    | problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
    | information into the future.” * *
    `----

    http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4410&zoneid=57

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. * *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/10/25/272200

  2. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    LOL.

    "Aleksandr Ponosov, a former headmaster in the Perm Region, is a strong
    supporter of the move. He was prosecuted for using a pirate version of
    Windows on the school's computers.

    The problem that I've faced threatens most of my colleagues across
    Russia. The use of pirate software is common. And often there's no
    choice. So I've started a non-profit organisation to tell everyone about
    the advantages of free software, Aleksandr Ponosov explained.

    And some experts say that Microsoft faces a major challenge as more
    people move towards free software.

    But Microsoft remains positive about its market leading position.

    We are glad that people will have a possibility to choose different
    operating systems. But we try to make our product the best one. We want
    to make it easier for the user to realise one's potential. And perhaps
    this is the most important for schools, said Vladimir Gabriel from
    Microsoft Russia.

    Kudos to Vladimir.

    --
    "12/21/2007 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...
    01/22/2008 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...

    -- 1:07-cv-11070-LTS aka Never Beginning "GPL Enforcement" case

  3. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:56:12 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > LOL.
    >
    > "Aleksandr Ponosov, a former headmaster in the Perm Region, is a strong
    > supporter of the move. He was prosecuted for using a pirate version of
    > Windows on the school's computers.

    Bottom line is people would rather go through all the trouble of using
    pirated software rather than use free Linux.

    That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software associated
    with Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:56:12 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >
    >> LOL.

    > That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software
    > associated with Linux.

    Are you sure?

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    oA prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating
[...]

  5. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:56:12 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >
    >> LOL.
    >>
    >> "Aleksandr Ponosov, a former headmaster in the Perm Region, is a strong
    >> supporter of the move. He was prosecuted for using a pirate version of
    >> Windows on the school's computers.

    > Bottom line is people would rather go through all the trouble of using
    > pirated software rather than use free Linux.
    >
    > That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software
    > associated
    > with Linux.

    Worse. It shows that the best plan that they can come up with is to try to
    convince all the pirates to use Linux instead. It is hard to see where that
    really does much damage to Mr. Softee.

  6. Re: Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    On Mar 15, 12:56 pm, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    > LOL.
    >
    > "Aleksandr Ponosov, a former headmaster in the Perm Region, is a strong
    > supporter of the move. He was prosecuted for using a pirate version of
    > Windows on the school's computers.
    >
    > "The problem that I've faced threatens most of my colleagues across
    > Russia. The use of pirate software is common. And often there's no
    > choice. So I've started a non-profit organisation to tell everyone about
    > the advantages of free software," Aleksandr Ponosov explained.
    >
    > And some experts say that Microsoft faces a major challenge as more
    > people move towards free software.
    >
    > But Microsoft remains positive about its market leading position.
    >
    > "We are glad that people will have a possibility to choose different
    > operating systems. But we try to make our product the best one. We want
    > to make it easier for the user to realise one's potential. And perhaps
    > this is the most important for schools," said Vladimir Gabriel from
    > Microsoft Russia.
    >
    > Kudos to Vladimir.

    A lame attempt at damage control after the biggest legal back-fire a
    large company has suffered since the McLibel case in London.

  7. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:56:12 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL.
    >>>
    >>> "Aleksandr Ponosov, a former headmaster in the Perm Region, is a strong
    >>> supporter of the move. He was prosecuted for using a pirate version of
    >>> Windows on the school's computers.

    >> Bottom line is people would rather go through all the trouble of using
    >> pirated software rather than use free Linux.
    >>
    >> That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software
    >> associated
    >> with Linux.
    >>

    > Worse. It shows that the best plan that they can come up with is to try
    > to convince all the pirates to use Linux instead. It is hard to see
    > where that really does much damage to Mr. Softee.

    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/IC/RiskFactors.aspx
    (((((
    > To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.

    )))))

    .... but most important is the destruction of MS lockin.

  8. Re: Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    ____/ peterwn on Saturday 15 March 2008 02:02 : \____

    > On Mar 15, 12:56 pm, Alexander 'Munchkin' Terekhov wrote:
    >> LOL.
    >>

    > A lame attempt at damage control after the biggest legal back-fire a
    > large company has suffered since the McLibel case in London.

    Troll replies are actually a good sign. They show we're on the right topic and
    that Microsoft suffered a big blow indeed.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
    Tasks: 157 total, 1 running, 156 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  9. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    ____/ JAG CHAN on Saturday 15 March 2008 01:30 : \____

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:56:12 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL.

    >> That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software
    >> associated with Linux.
    >>

    > Are you sure?
    >
    > http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx
    >
    > oA prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating
    > system.
    > Although we believe our products provide customers with significant
    > advantages
    > in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the
    > popularization of
    > the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge
    > our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open
    > source
    > software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open
    > source
    > software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the
    > extent
    > open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our
    > products
    > may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products,
    > and
    > revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.

    facts hurt the Microsoft Munchkins, especially when they are quoted out of
    Microsoft's own (and carefully-drafted) literature.

    The above says that Microsoft already warns investors that it's likely to lose
    revenue because Linux is spreading and getting better.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
    Tasks: 157 total, 1 running, 156 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  10. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ JAG CHAN on Saturday 15 March 2008 01:30 : \____
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> That says a lot about the poor quality of Linux and the software
    >>> associated with Linux.
    >>>

    >> Are you sure?
    >>
    >> http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx
    >>
    >> A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating
    >> system.
    >> Although we believe our products provide customers with significant
    >> advantages
    >> in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the
    >> popularization of
    >> the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge
    >> our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open
    >> source
    >> software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open
    >> source
    >> software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the
    >> extent
    >> open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our
    >> products
    >> may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products,
    >> and
    >> revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
    >> >

    > facts hurt the Microsoft Munchkins, especially when they are quoted out of
    > Microsoft's own (and carefully-drafted) literature.
    >
    > The above says that Microsoft already warns investors that it's likely to lose
    > revenue because Linux is spreading and getting better.

    we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages in
    security, productivity, and total cost of ownership

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one!

    --
    Mandrake One 2008.1 RC1
    -- On a 64bit system --

  11. Re: [News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

    ____/ William Poaster on Saturday 15 March 2008 15:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ JAG CHAN on Saturday 15 March 2008 01:30 : \____
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> Are you sure?
    >>>
    >>> http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx
    >>>
    >>> A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating
    >>> system.
    >>> Although we believe our products provide customers with significant
    >>> advantages
    >>> in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the
    >>> popularization of
    >>> the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge
    >>> our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open
    >>> source
    >>> software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open
    >>> source
    >>> software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the
    >>> extent
    >>> open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our
    >>> products
    >>> may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products,
    >>> and
    >>> revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
    >>> >

    >> facts hurt the Microsoft Munchkins, especially when they are quoted out of
    >> Microsoft's own (and carefully-drafted) literature.

    Oops, I meant to type crafted, not drafted.

    >> The above says that Microsoft already warns investors that it's likely to
    >> lose revenue because Linux is spreading and getting better.

    > we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages in
    > security, productivity, and total cost of ownership
    >

    > HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one!

    We believe we have bribed enough analysts (those whom we say have a "sellout"
    business model) to pretend that we provide customers with significant
    advantages in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership

    Case of point:

    Ballmer's Remarks Inspire A TCO Trip Down Memory Lane

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/arc...rs_remark.html

    ,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
    | "(Microsoft manager I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
    | on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
    | on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
    | fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
    | don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
    | competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
    | that we sponsored it."
    `----

    http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

    "Consultants: These guys are your best bets as moderators. Get a well-known
    consultant on your side early, but don’t let him publish anything blatantly
    pro-Microsoft. Then, get him to propose himself to the conference organizers
    as a moderator, whenever a panel opportunity comes up. Since he’s well-known,
    but apparently independent, he’ll be accepted - one less thing for the
    constantly-overworked conference organizer to worry about, right?"

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Microsoft

    Microsoft: we're best........................

    ....at lying to the investors, the public,
    the SEC, even our own partners and employees.

    "I know Microsoft, and I know my industry. I thoroughly comprehend how
    Microsoft's products, agendas, and conduct have shaped and defined
    computing as we know it today. I have friends and colleagues who work
    at Microsoft, and I have others who work with its current partners,
    its former partners, and its direct competitors.... Microsoft's conduct as
    a corporation and a manufacturer of computing products, is predicated
    upon an internal policy of deception, which includes deceiving
    customers, deceiving competitors, deceiving partners, deceiving its
    own vendors, and at some level, deceiving its own staff."

    -- Scott M. Fulton, III

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
    Cpu(s): 25.6%us, 4.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.7%id, 4.3%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st